Okay, so I'm currently saving money from a tutoring job that I have, and I really want to get a tube amp (don't get me wrong, I love my Valvetronix), because I want some REAL sound.

Potentially, I could have anywhere from $400-$800, the former being within like 2 or 3 weeks, the latter being within 2 months, which I could then add Christmas money to.

Let's just set an arbitrary budget of $600 to make determination easier.

Originally, I had made the decision that I wanted a Peavey Windsor Studio and a Fulltone OCD (which, regardless of the amp, I still am gonna get because I LOOVE it's sound), but now I'm not so sure.

What about Blackhearts? What about Crate V's? What about the VYPYR tube amps? Hell, what about going used?

I've looked on MF, GC, and Craigslist, but I can't find anything that I really like on Craigslist. MF and GC are terribly fun to go to and just salivate over my dream of a Marshall JCM800 stack when I become a rich and famous rock star (just kidding).

If someone could help me determine what to get, I'd love you forever and ever, amen. I play a variety - jazz, blues, but more on the hard rock/metal side (nothing harder than early Metallica). I'm not in a band now, but am jamming with a bunch of friends, and auditioning for my church's youth band with 3 of my friends. I will say that I don't want to buy a ridiculously powerful amp and have to buy an attenuator for when I'm screwing around in my room.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
get a traynor. either the ycv 40wr or ycv50 blue.

it just depends on what you want to play. those are the best amps for the money range you cited. check it, yo.
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
Traynors, although great amps, are sometimes hard to find.

If you can stretch a bit more, a Peavey Classic 30 can get you most places. Also check the Valvekings, they are pretty versatile. The hybrid Vypyrs are not out yet are they? The 60 and 120?

The Crate Vs might be hard to find, you may have to order on-line and wait. The Blackhearts are nice too. Those two will be more vintage voiced I think. Crate and Blackheart are owned by the same company and the thinking is that Crate is trying to blow out all of their inventory in preperation for a full line of nothing but Blackhearts.

Also maybe look at a B-52. Maybe you can define 'metal' for us and tell what is your closest major city.
By Metal, I'm mostly speaking to Iron Maiden, and no the Vypyr's aren't out yet, but they'll be out by the time that I have a good chunk of change to spend.

One thing about the Vypyr though - in their tube combos, I read that it's a solid state preamp that drives a tube poweramp...how well would/does that work? I've heard of a tube preamp driving a solid state poweramp like on my Valvetronix...not the other way around.

I should have specified that I want more of a British voicing, or an amp that I can change the tubes to reflect more of a British voicing.

Finally, I live just north of Downtown Dallas (TX), and have a Guitar Center no more than like 3 miles away from my house.

I think that was everything in your post SOV, I'm posting from my Blackberry.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Last edited by Idiosyncracy at Oct 23, 2008,
^Ha!....well that was pretty good from a Blackberry.

If I remember correctly the 60 and 120 have plenty of power tubes but still only 1 preamp tube. That preamp tube acts a phase inverter only. The rest of the preamp is Transtube - which is why I consider those 2 versions Hybrids. The rest are solid state.

Check the Vypyr thread and also peavey.com forums for more info. They have a forum dedicated to the Vypyr.

not sure about changing tubes in this puppy nor how well it does British on it's own so maybe someone who has one can chime in.
Stretch the budget a little and get a used mesa f-30?
Played on one a while ago. Nice for metal and could handle the rest too.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
^While more british sounding than some mesas, definitely still an american amp.

All the suggestions made so far are pretty good. If you don't need cleans the windsor might be a good choice, I heard it does the marshall sound quite well. The traynors are also great marshally amps. I also think this would be a great choice:http://ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSJCM800_2204/BSJCM800_2204Complete.htm
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^While more british sounding than some mesas, definitely still an american amp.

My bad, totally missed that he wanted british-voiced.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Fender Super Champ XD?
or Vibro Champ XD

Super is 15W
Vibro is 5W

Goes from blues to sort of metal.
Might be just what you're looking for

^No, those are all american amps definitely not great for hard rock or metal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've looked at the Ceriatones - does anyone have one and can give me some feedback on it?

They looked pretty nice for their price.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by totenkopfSG
get a traynor. either the ycv 40wr or ycv50 blue.

it just depends on what you want to play. those are the best amps for the money range you cited. check it, yo.

Traynor ftw. Look at a Mesa F-50 too. I am of the opinion that you should go used whenever possible.
EDIT: ahh, british voiced?
word.
Well, Ceriatone is amazing butttttt they are outside your budget since the shipping is so high for them. You could find a used JCM 800 in that range, 900 too. Traynors are the next best thing for you though.
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Oct 23, 2008,
Marshall MG ftw!!!!

Just Kidding.

A Mesa sounds neat. Other than that, well, I dont play metal, so IDK.
If you're looking for a really British tone, have you looked into Laney's? Or are they not of any interest to you?
$800 + Christmas money + buying used = sick amp
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Haven't looked into Laney's...but can't find the AOR on the Laney website and google is being stupid.

I also looked at the Randall RG50TC, which used EL34's, does anyone have one or have any opinions about this one?
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
I just thought I would let you know that the Blackhearts definitely have a British voicing to them. I don't know a lot about the other amps mentioned here but if you want British voicing I would put the Killer Ant, Little Giant, or Handsome Devil near the top of your list.
Sweet. At the top of my list right now I have the Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo, and the Randall RG50TC
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Damn, the AOR sounds pretty good.

Will the RG clean up well though?
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
try maybe a laney VC30? probably out of your price range in the US but i know they can be had for a very affordable price in Aus and the UK.

I have the smaller VC15 and a fulltone OCD like you said you wanted to get and it definitely does a fantastic job doing the sort of stuff you're talking about.
Yeah, I looked at the VC30 and VC15 and I don't think I can stretch my budget that far.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Yeah, I looked at the VC30 and VC15 and I don't think I can stretch my budget that far.

ok, so they do cost more in america then. definitely forget about them then, not really worth their american asking price with all the other options you have
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Traynors, although great amps, are sometimes hard to find.

If you can stretch a bit more, a Peavey Classic 30 can get you most places. Also check the Valvekings, they are pretty versatile. The hybrid Vypyrs are not out yet are they? The 60 and 120?

The Crate Vs might be hard to find, you may have to order on-line and wait. The Blackhearts are nice too. Those two will be more vintage voiced I think. Crate and Blackheart are owned by the same company and the thinking is that Crate is trying to blow out all of their inventory in preperation for a full line of nothing but Blackhearts.

Also maybe look at a B-52. Maybe you can define 'metal' for us and tell what is your closest major city.

I may have a like-new condition (never gigged) one to sell. I'm still debating whether or not I can part with it, but since I got my Mesa Mark IV, I have been considering it. This is a maybe, but if I had offers I might consider them.
Well, I just watched the Peavey Youtube demo and overview of the Windsor Studio...and I must say, I really, REALLY like the sound and the features on the amp.

What Traynor though 4regt4?
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
Well, I just watched the Peavey Youtube demo and overview of the Windsor Studio...and I must say, I really, REALLY like the sound and the features on the amp.

What Traynor though 4regt4?

YCV 50 Blue (I bought it brand new about 1.5 years ago):

Last edited by 4regt4 at Oct 24, 2008,
What would you ask for it? I really didn't want to spend a TON since the Windsor is only $400.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
What would you ask for it? I really didn't want to spend a TON since the Windsor is only $400.

Mine has a full JJ high gain set in it right now including power tubes (I'd throw in an extra preamp tube as well [Mesa Russian 12AX7] to allow for a brighter tone if desired) - (OR I would reinstall the original tube set that was only ever turned on once). The cheapest used ones on eBay right now are at $600 shipped at their starting price. I'd ask $500 shipped, so that would be about $440 + UPS insured shipping. If someone offered this, I may take it, but again, I'm still debating whether I'm willing to let it go or not.
Quote by 4regt4
Mine has a full JJ high gain set in it right now including power tubes (I'd throw in an extra preamp tube as well [Mesa Russian 12AX7] to allow for a brighter tone if desired) - (OR I would reinstall the original tube set that was only ever turned on once). The cheapest used ones on eBay right now are at $600 shipped at their starting price. I'd ask $500 shipped, so that would be about $440 + UPS insured shipping. If someone offered this, I may take it, but again, I'm still debating whether I'm willing to let it go or not.

That's a really damn good price. I probably won't have the money for 2-4 weeks, so if you decide you wanna part with it (if you don't that's perfectly fine), hit me up.

Well, that is if my dad will let me do that...if not, I'll probably just get the Windsor Studio cause it sounds SOOOO good.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
That's a really damn good price. I probably won't have the money for 2-4 weeks, so if you decide you wanna part with it (if you don't that's perfectly fine), hit me up.

Well, that is if my dad will let me do that...if not, I'll probably just get the Windsor Studio cause it sounds SOOOO good.

I've never played a Windsor myself, but I looked up the specs, and it sounds like a great amp for that price (looks aesthetically pleasing a well). Otherwise, tone is a preference.