Yes
144 27%
No
119 22%
Some drugs
269 51%
Voters: 532.
Page 1 of 10
The reason why I'm not posting this in the drug thread is because that thread seems more of a question and answer thread and talking about the drugs themselves, but this thread is more of a human rights and civil liberties issue.

Well, I'm not much of a libertarian, but I definitely believe all drugs used for recreational purposes should be legalized. I haven't ever done drugs, I doubt I will. I haven't even drank alcohol, nor do I think I will. The most I'll do is maybe smoke an occasional cigar.

But what do you guys think?
No because taxes suck.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
no. if alcohol and cigarettes were just discovered yesterday they would be illegal its just because they are socially acceptable now, but thats changing.
Well not drugs, but weed should be.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by Tw8xy
no. if alcohol and cigarettes were just discovered yesterday they would be illegal its just because they are socially acceptable now, but thats changing.
Just because in a hypothetic way, they might be illegal, doesn't mean that they should be...
Quote by Korosu
Drugs would help create a socially unstable population.

so would assisted suicide..care to try?>
Quote by Tw8xy
That's changing? What rock do you live under?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
I've heard a couple of points, and thought I'd save myself some time and post the good ol' Meths list:

Quote by Meths
1)Regulation. Illegal drugs are cut with all kinds of shit. Legalised drugs would be regulated and so wouldn't be full of crap. This makes them much, much safer for use. The impurities in drugs are harmful and cause (extra) damage. Varying levels of concentration are also to blame for lots of OD's.
2)Tax. Speaks for itself. Alcohol and tobacco more than make up in tax revenue what they cost the NHS. Something like ?2 billion a year in cost, ?6 billion a year in tax revenue. There is no reason why illegal drugs would be different.
3)Saves money. The War on Drugs is astronomically expensive and the police can focus time, money and effort on catching real criminals rather than pursuing addicts.
4)There is no reason to believe it will increase the number of users. In the UK when weed was re-classified to C instead of B, the number of users fell from 11% to 8%. In Holland, weed usage fell after its decriminalisation. In Geneva a test program where heroin users were given safe drugs and a place to do it in caused the number of new users to fall by 80%. If you ask someone why they don't do crack it's usually because they don't want to be a crackhead, not because the police might lock them up.
5)Lowers crime. I don't just mean drug possession/dealing. Drug dealing gangs are responsible for huge amounts of crime. Cutting out a major source of their income will cut crime.
6)Drug barons go bust/legit. Drug barons aren't nice people. This would put the money into the hands of CEO's instead. Not a huge improvement I must say but most CEO's aren't quite as bad as drug barons. Either that or drug barons will go legit. Not an ideal solution but still cuts crime.
7)Free up prison space. The UK prison system is dangerously overcrowded and the less said about the size of the US prison system the better. Suffice to say that there will be far more room in prisons when we stop locking people up for having an addiction.
8)Hypocrisy. There is no reason why tobacco and alcohol should be legal and acceptable and other drugs shouldn't be. Far more people are killed by those two. Far more violence is caused by alcohol. Etc etc. It doesn't make sense and tradition is not a reason for anything.
9)Cheaper. If drugs are legal then they'd be cheaper (even when taxed). This would mean that drug addicts wouldn't have to steal (or would have to steal less) to obtain drugs. Lots of crime is caused by this and getting rid of it sounds good.
10)People will be less afraid of getting help for their addictions and will make it easier for people to get into rehab or whatever. As it stands, it's kind of awkward given the illegal status of drugs. It's easier to quit tobacco and alcohol because you can get lots of help from the NHS and lots of other charities. Illegal drugs don't have this.
11)Freedom. Even without the other 10 reasons (which IMO are more than enough to warrant legalisation) I would still advocate legalisation for the very simple reason that it is the not the government's place to tell me what I can do to myself for my own enjoyment. I can slice a razorblade across my arm, why I can't I stick a syringe full of heroin in? It seems ridiculous that there are actually chemicals which are banned. A somewhat backwards view for the 21st century.
Quote by The Madcap
Just because in a hypothetic way, they might be illegal, doesn't mean that they should be...

good point im a bit stoned.

omfg i just realised im a total hypocrite. actually its diphenhydramine hydrochloride (that took about 2 minutes to type BTW)
Quote by dubstar92
Well not drugs, but weed should be.

*SPOILER*

weed is a drug
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Yes

-Increased tax revenue
-Decrease of gang activity
-Monitored drug usage

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah definitely...but not homemade drugs like crystal meth. I think they should bring back cocaine for medical purposes like they used to- constipated? Go buy a little tincture of cocaine. Need to stay awake? Same thing. FFS, Coca-cola used to have cocaine in it as an active ingredient until the 1920s. Most drugs are like anything- if you do to much of them they will be dangerous and have negative effects. If they aren't abused many of them have great properties that improve things.
You know what should be legalized? Neighborhood bear calvalries. How the **** are we supposed to defend our home from hippos?
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
*SPOILER*

weed is a drug

way to ruin the end

oh yeah well I guess technically it is a drug but so are alcohol and tobacco.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by dubstar92
way to ruin the end

oh yeah well I guess technically it is a drug but so are alcohol and tobacco.

No, not "technically": it IS a drug, just like tobacco and alcohol. Its not fari for those two be legal while otehr drugs aren't
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Last edited by ExtremeMetalFTW at Oct 23, 2008,
I think addictive drugs should be illegal ( tobacco, heroin ) and the ones where you can only get mentally addicted ( weed, LSD, shrooms ) should be legal.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
No not "technically" it is a drug, just like tobacco and alcohol. Its not fari for those two be legal while otehr drugs aren't

so what what your saying it is a drug, but technically it isn't.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Weed and LSD yes. Alcohol is so damaging it should be banned, but as with anything else, it all depends on moderation.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Care to elaborate? That's quite a general statement.

no the gentleman has vowed to take the fifth. i am his spokesperson and the official statement from the user is:-

'this user of ultimate guitar dot com is in no way obliged to confirm his online statements nor to clarify them. The user accepts no responsibility for the actions of others under his words.

actually imagine if someone killed someone because they were wasted and read it on a website..could you be sued if that happened?
If caffeine is legal then I think just about anything else people want to put in their own body should be legal.

I do beleive an age minimum would be appropriate to make sure children arent harmed (which of course, would just be an empty policy)

If a person wants to relax with a little weed, why stop them?

If a person wants to potentially kill themselves with a substance like heroin who the hell are we to stop them?
Quote by illuminatiano
I think addictive drugs should be illegal ( tobacco, heroin ) and the ones where you can only get mentally addicted ( weed, LSD, shrooms ) should be legal.

Addiction is addiction whether it's mental or physical, either way it'll disrupt an addicts life.

Why should addiction factor into the decision of making a certain drug illegal? Is addiction really a justice issue or a health issue?
Quote by dubstar92
so what what your saying it is a drug, but technically it isn't.

missed a puncuation mark
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by kenan6346
Weed and LSD yes. Alcohol is so damaging it should be banned, but as with anything else, it all depends on moderation.

so in adition to being damaged they should be in jail?

most drugs are bad and nobody should do them but they should be helped instead of criminalized...prohibition makes no sense
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
missed a puncuation mark

Actually I forgot to capitalize the first word. I put a comma in.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Weed and maybe ecstasy (MDMA) are the only drugs I'm all for legalizing.

Psychedelics will fuuck your mind up eventually, especially if you aren't careful.
Ecstasy isn't all that bad it just screws up serotonin levels and dopamine receptors. Although I think everyone should try it once or twice. E changed my life for the better and it isn't really a hard drug.

Cocaine addiction and alcoholism are along the same lines to me, both cause you to be an asshole and very irritable, one gives you brain lesions, the other kills the liver.

Heroine and Crack are out of the question as they are to powerful, we should have clinics that give addicts clean needles and a shot once a day like the one that was in Vancouver (got shut down for some stupid reason). Crack just screws people up to much and causes them to do really stupid shit.

Not sure what to say about Crystal Meth, just as stupid as crack.
In the end this debate ends in a purely bureaucratic decision, whereby one weedy little nerd with a computer adds up the income and expenses of both decisions and which ever one favors profit margins for the country will always come out on top.

This is exactly how alcohol and smoking remain legal, as far as numbers go as long as the negative costs of the use of the substances stays lower than the amount the government makes, it will still be legal. They say they raise taxes on these items to deter users, but the taxes only serve to keep the ratio leaning the right way for them.

If illicit drug use became as wide spread as smoking was in the 70's where everyone (nearly) over 15 hand a cigarette in their hand, it would be made legal. It's that simple. Sadly for all my drug using buddies that can never happen seeings as the drugs are already illegal thus large groups of people can't just hand out at the mall shooting up or whatever, and of course anti-drug education is at an all time high so the odds of seeing a high enough rate of usage that would turn a policy worthy profit for the government are very slight indeed.

Sadly this is the same with almost every decision made in modern governments, so don't feel cheated drug users, we all get treated like this.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Korosu
Drugs would help create a socially unstable population.

obesity too, but people have right to eat fast food and nobody can take that away

whats the point of living in a stable society if you arent free to do what you want with your own life?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Addiction is addiction whether it's mental or physical, either way it'll disrupt an addicts life.

Why should addiction factor into the decision of making a certain drug illegal? Is addiction really a justice issue or a health issue?

it's really not the same thing at all. mental addiction is like thinking about it and saying to himself, I can't wait till I take a hit salvia after school and look at my itunes visualizer, maybe I'll see something i've never seen before. And thinking of different possibilites for a while some days. Sure you get some cravings, but it doesn't hurt to not take the drug.

Physical addiction is when it physicly HURTS to not take the drug. You sweat, you punch walls to get bigger pain so the other pain goes away, you cry, you scream, at a point you'll anything to get the drug.
Quote by illuminatiano
it's really not the same thing at all. mental addiction is like thinking about it and saying to himself, I can't wait till I take a hit salvia after school and look at my itunes visualizer, maybe I'll see something i've never seen before. And thinking of different possibilites for a while some days. Sure you get some cravings, but it doesn't hurt to not take the drug.

Physical addiction is when it physicly HURTS to not take the drug. You sweat, you punch walls to get bigger pain so the other pain goes away, you cry, you scream, at a point you'll anything to get the drug.

I understand the difference between physical and psychological addiction but the matter stands that the end result is the same.
the end result is def not the same.

mentally addicted, you may choose to not take the drug, and you don't ahev money you'll just wait. physicly addicted you cannot. You just cannot understand, I'm talking from personal experiences and friend experiences. It hurts to see your best friend be addicted to heroin and see him not take it for more than 3 days, then not be the same person anymore.
Quote by illuminatiano
the end result is def not the same.

mentally addicted, you may choose to not take the drug, and you don't ahev money you'll just wait. physicly addicted you cannot. You just cannot understand, I'm talking from personal experiences and friend experiences. It hurts to see your best friend be addicted to heroin and see him not take it for more than 3 days, then not be the same person anymore.

That's just different levels of strength in addiction, it doesn't matter what kind of addiction it is. For example, a physical dependence on caffeine is usually weaker than a psychological dependence on cocaine.
Quote by siskoX
obesity too, but people have right to eat fast food and nobody can take that away

whats the point of living in a stable society if you arent free to do what you want with your own life?

Did you know that you're not the only person in the world when you do drugs? You can harm other people's lives too with your drugs.

Comparing eating to drug use is a poor choice