Poll: Do you see pot as gateway drug?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you see pot as gateway drug?
Yes
21 19%
No
54 48%
Sometimes
38 34%
Voters: 113.
I have talked to tons of people about weed and why they think its bad, and even if they agree its not unhealthy they always end up going to the gateway drug excuse.
I think some believe it, but others just say it because they can't think of anything else.
I think it is in some instances, but they never say that about alcohol or cigarettes .
Do you guys think it is a gateway drug?
If not then why do you think others see it that way?
I do not. I know tons of people that smoke pot. Only a select few that do anything past that.
And, they only claim that because it is the weakest of the illegal drugs.
i dont really think it is. it all depends on the person on weather or not they feel the need to try other drugs. i my self started smoking weed but have explored different drugs extensively. then i know kids who have bben smoknig just as long as me and will not try any other drug.
Drug thread. You'd probably get some good responses there.

*reported*

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
It's a gateway drug, but that doesn't necessarily mean that just because you smoke weed, you WILL go to harder things. I actually know a couple guys who only started out smoking weed, then started drinking and one of them did cocaine for awhile before he quit.
No, because many weed users do it because they like it and know its safer than cigarettes and alcohol

yes, because all the anti-marijuana propaganda fed to teenagers creates a sort of distrust in society, they know its not as bad as its made out to be, which in turn breeds curiosity of other drugs and if they have been lied to about them as well.
I don't believe that really happens often IMO

my votes for no, its not a gateway drug
You are now blinking manually
There are a ton of weed threads I've noticed. Not that I'm surprised, but it seems like this issue is gaining some momentum with some people?
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
I smoke weed and have for years. I have experimented with things but I am not a full blown addict. I haven't smoked a joint in like 8 days, not because I can't get it, just cause I don't feel like it. Weed is the least addictive of any drug and basically the safest one when used in moderation. Pretty much not even a drug at all in my opinion. Technically Butter would be a drug if you ate bars of it all day until you died. Political correct cop out ala the "War on Drugs". Almost as propagandha filled as the "War on Terror".
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
I smoke weed and have for years. I have experimented with things but I am not a full blown addict. I haven't smoked a joint in like 8 days, not because I can't get it, just cause I don't feel like it. Weed is the least addictive of any drug and basically the safest one when used in moderation. Pretty much not even a drug at all in my opinion. Technically Butter would be a drug if you ate bars of it all day until you died. Political correct cop out ala the "War on Drugs". Almost as propagandha filled as the "War on Terror".

you are a wise taxi driver
There's no blanket 'yes or no' answer. I know people who have moved from weed onto harder drugs and it's seriously messed them up. I also know people who have smoked weed for years and don't even drink, never mind do anything else. I'd give it the same rule as any drug-do it, but know what you're doing and know if it's time to quit.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Obviously here are going to be mixed opinions on wether or not weed is a gateway drug, mostly down to personal experiences. I know people who started on weed and died from heroin and people who smoked weed and nothing else. The argument for weed being a gateway drug is that you are more likely to come into contact with people who use different drugs but also use weed and that the weed bit becomes a sort of meeting point for all sorts of different drug users. So for me its yes, weed is a gateway drug. Ive had drug problems and although im clean now thank god ive still to meet a user of hard drugs that didnt start with weed.
Only if you agree that breast milk is a gateway food, beer is a gateway drink, GH controllers are gateway guitars...

it's shitty logic.
I wouldn't say alcohol and cigarettes are gateway drugs, I do both but I've never done any other drugs. However, there are some people who get carried away, and just can't get enough of it and end up drinking themselves to death. Like any drug, it should be used in moderation.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Your nose is the gateway for snorting.
Your mouth is the gateway for popping or inhaling.
Your veins are the gateway for needles.
No, your mind is the gateway for drugs.
Where do you stop drawing connections between things? Of course, if you've taken some illegal drugs before, you're more likely to consider trying other drugs, assuming you didn't have a massively negative experience the first time around. However, I would say you're more likely to smoke weed if you've had a cigarette before, and prior to that, drank alcohol. Or even seen other people, perhaps parents, smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol. Perhaps we should ban the public consumption of cigarettes and alcohol because the observed behaviour of people clearly influences those around them.

However, to blame one substance, in my opinion, is clearly stupid. It's a whole cacophony of factors that lead to people becoming hard drug addicts. Life is not black and white, you cannot pin down weed as the sole factor responsible for the negative behaviour of one small group of people in society.

Many millions of people around the world have smoked weed and never tried any harder drugs. And hey, even if they have tried harder drugs, so fuck, what's the big deal? So long as they don't break common sense laws such as theft or causing bodily harm to others, I fail to see the problem, so far as the state is concerned.
...Bleep Bloop...
Like a few have said before, it really depends on who you are and what you personality is like. If you have an addictive personality, youre more likely to want a better high. I know a kid who used to play in a band and stuff. He was straight edge, was a good kid, etc. He smoked pot once, then he drank, then he smoked pot again, then he started smoking everyday in the lockerroom, then he started drinking and smoking cigarettes like crazy. He'd smoke in the stairwells, pack lips in school, pop pills in school, come in baked out of it his mind, etc. It got to the point where he did shrooms constantly. He dropped out last year.

I have a friend who smokes pot like crazy, drinks a bit, wants to do shrooms once, but thats it. Hes in two honors classes in school and gets A's and B's. Another friend of mine smokes a decent amount. Hes fine...for now at least.

It really just depends on who you are, what gets you, etc. But yeah, it can really **** you up in the long run.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I think that although most people who have or do smoke weed do not go on to take harder drugs, most people who do take hard drugs used weed as a gateway.
90% of my friends that do pot have moved on to coke, shrooms, estacy and even heroin one time

But then again 80% of them have a hard home life and the do it to feel better about themselves

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
I'd say that yes, it can be. Not always, but it definitely has the potential to. I don't mean this saying that if you smoke weed, five years from now you're going to be living on the streets breaking into houses for money to buy your heroine fix. I mean this more that I'm willing to bet well over 95% of all hard drug addicts smoked weed long before they got into whatever they're into now.

It may or may not lead you to want to try other drugs, but I think it definitely opens the gate to the ~drug realm, because how many people do you think have shot heroine and then decided to try weed? Not many. I guess that's a bad argument, because then you could say that "well then shrooms/lsd/ect. is a gateway drug because they probably did that before heroine too" and that's true, but again, what do you think they started out smoking?

Obviously it depends on the person, and I don't believe there's a definite yes or no answers, but I'd say that it very easily can become a gateway drug if you let it.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Cookie to the one that can find a newspaper article about an offense commited on marihuana.

For every 1 weed related crime I can post 50 articles on drunk drivers or people that die from hamburgers. The view of some people is so closeminded.

And how do u define gateway drug. I mean eating hamburger for the first time can be a gateway drug to overweight problems(more fast food). It really depends on the person, and I know tons of people that smoke weed but don't do hard drugs or even cigarettes.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
No, because it's down to the person and their likeliness to take drugs further; I smoke weed occasionally, but I'm fine sticking to drinking. But then a fair few of my friends have moved on from weed, to pills, E, and coke. Weed may have started them off, but it's down to the person, not the drug.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Weed is oftentimes a gateway drug to cigarettes. Half my buds smoke cigs now. They started with weed, went to cigars, then ended up with cigarettes.

I ****in hate cigarettes, but pot's nice.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Cookie to the one that can find a newspaper article about an offense commited on marihuana.

For every 1 weed related crime I can post 50 articles on drunk drivers or people that die from hamburgers. The view of some people is so closeminded.

True. Weed makes you too mellow to do that shit.
Ye lol. Woodstock anyone? See the old woodstock where all the hippies used cannabis. And check the new woodstock which was all beer and where half the crowd got raped.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Definetely not; some people are more inclined to get addicted to things than others. They would get addicted to something and maybe even move on to heavier stuff, whether it was going from weed to heroine or from pez to pixy stixs.

Weed isn't even chemically addictive.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
alcohol is a gateway drug

everybody I know has tried other stuff while drunk

but then again, I drink and don't really do everything else.
the gateway drug theory is retarded
No.

I acknowledge that there is a correlation between hard drugs and weed. But we all know that correlation is not the same thing as ''cause/effect''.

Like many have already said; it isn't a very black & white thing.
Smoking weed in 90% of cases causes you to come in contact with people who are involved with harder drugs... dealers, friends of friends etc. So I don't accept that smoking grass will make you want to move onto harder drugs but it will definately bring you into contact with them, even it it's just acid or pills, doesn't necessarily have to mean being a gateway to a life hunched over a crackpipe.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION