So recently my bass player and i had a disagreement about our live cover of Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction. He said it's illegal to record a cover in any way shape or form unless your given consent from who ever owns the rights to the song (and assumably pay roylaties if you earn any money from it). I thaught it was fine to cover it so long as you made it clear it was a cover.
Who's right?
Thanks in advance for the help
He is right, although you don't have to seek permissions from the artist directly (look at info on www.tunecore.com) every copy you make you have to pay like 4 cents to the artist. You must obtain a licence. But use that link above and everything should be clear
Credit them and don't sell it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If you dont make profit from it, then its fine to make a cover of it.
As long as you say the original owner of the song,

Thats from my opinion, but it does work like that.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
It's not quite true, even for non-profit purposes you need to obtain permission as it still falls under intellectual property laws. Otherwise Dave Mustaine has the legal right to rape your mother.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Blackvelvet
Thats what i was looking for. Its really just a promotion thing. Thank you good sirs.

Yeah, you'll be fine as long as it ain't for cash.

The main thing to keep in mind is that any original song is protected by the various copyright laws of the country it was recorded in. So the situation may change if you want to record a cover by a band from a country other than the US. But specific info on copyright laws of various countries shouldn't be too hard to find on the net.
Quote by jetfuel495
nah, thats a usual thing

Yeah but normally he just does the rape and leaves. In this case he'd have the law on his side.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by jetfuel495
so the cops would be with him? would it be like a gangbang?

Yup, an epic-metal-pigbang, to be exact.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by Blackvelvet
So recently my bass player and i had a disagreement about our live cover of Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction. He said it's illegal to record a cover in any way shape or form unless your given consent from who ever owns the rights to the song (and assumably pay roylaties if you earn any money from it). I thaught it was fine to cover it so long as you made it clear it was a cover.
Who's right?
Thanks in advance for the help

Well, sadly, the RIAA would undoubtedly agree. Think about all the tab sites they've shut down. I can't even fathom the logic. But, I'm fairly confident that, if you're not selling anything, you can tell them to blow it out their ass.
You're*