I need suggestions on a new pickup for my guitar. I have an 2006 Fender American Deluxe Strat with a Floyd Rose Original Bridge. My amp is a Marshall JVM 410, but I may be switching it for a Mesa Dual Rectifier. The tone I'm looking for for would be closest to that of Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom and the tone from Rammstein. I want an aggressive pickup that actually has a metallic sound. I want a pickup that is focused, razor-sharp, well-defined and powerful, not something that is too trebly, too thick, too mid-rangey, too muddy, or too fuzzy. Again, I have a strat, and it has an alder body with a bolt on neck that is maple with a rosewood fretboard. Thanks!
Both bands use active pickups (Seymour Duncan Blackouts in COB and EMG 81s in Rammstein) so maybe you should try those. I suppose your strat has a humbucker in the bridge position, personally I tried rail singlecoils and while they sounded tighter than standards they are no true substitute for humbuckers.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
If you want tone closer to Alexi's then KEEP the Marshall! And try a Duncan Blackout or EMG 81, as previously stated. Experiment with the 18v mod on the EMG if you get it. But to be fair, Alexi used Passive EMGs on AYDY, and Jackson passive pickups on all previous albums back to Hatebreeder. On Something Wild it was just a cheap Ibanez.

But really alot of the tone came from scooped mids that were boosted harshly with an EQ, so try that too. Mids around 3 on the amp, put an eq with a frown in front of it, and keep the gain a bit above mid, and adjust to taste.

What cab are you using? Alexi uses the stock Marshall 1960A with G12-75T's, and that will have a big impact on your tone too. You might wanna use the OD1 channel, too, considering Alexi's older sounds aren't really that high gain.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
If you want tone closer to Alexi's then KEEP the Marshall! And try a Duncan Blackout or EMG 81, as previously stated. Experiment with the 18v mod on the EMG if you get it. But to be fair, Alexi used Passive EMGs on AYDY, and Jackson passive pickups on all previous albums back to Hatebreeder. On Something Wild it was just a cheap Ibanez.

But really alot of the tone came from scooped mids that were boosted harshly with an EQ, so try that too. Mids around 3 on the amp, put an eq with a frown in front of it, and keep the gain a bit above mid, and adjust to taste.

Also, he has a remake of his original Jackson preamp in his guitars, and boosts the hell out of his signal into a rack preamp.

If you want his tone, you NEED a pickup which will stay clean when it's driven hard - leaving you down to the EMG 81 or SD Blackout - and you'll need to run hot as hell.
EMG 85 at 18V with alder works excellent for me. I get those really gritty COB tones easily. Also maybe use an HZ with an active pre-amp in the guitar like alexi used to? Since your body is lighter, a heavier bassy tone could help you a lot from being too trebly. If you do EMG's you NEED the 18V mod to sound like alexi though. 9V is good, but at 18V you'll shit bricks.
Well I've gotta go try out the pickups some more with my amp. I liked the EMG 81s. Surprisingly I actually liked the EMG HZ's as well, I don't know why people talk so much crap about them. I still need to try something with Blackouts, what guitars come with those?

SO 2 things..does anyone have any experience with the tone of EMG HZ's with a gain boost? because that's what I've heard Alexi's always used, and i really wouldn't have a problem doing to to my guitar.

the other thing..I might just get a Bare Knuckles Humbucker, does anyone have experience with those? Right now I'm considering the Miracle Man or the War Pig, the seem to have the best low end out the Bare Knuckles line.
Recommended threads