Page 1 of 2
What have been your favourite concerts of 2008? you might have seen them live, on tv on just heard about them. Did the band live up 2 all the hype?

Discuss.
Saw Maiden in February. Pretty damn good! COB were a highlight, too.
Both lived up to any forms of "hype".
yep maiden was off it's head, also saw nightwish and that was ok,

seein slipknot monday!
I've seen Cult of Luna and Entombed. Entombed was ggod, they can still display some of the energy the old music had. Cult of Luna was somewhat weird, very special live performance. If you haven't seen them live take the chances you have to do so.
I saw Korn in february. Was pretty ok, some of the songs they played was cool but I didn't like it that much. (I don't really like Korn to begin with)
And then Foo Fighters in June which was awesome.
Maiden in July which was defo the best show I've been to (Yet)

Gonna see Slipknot with CoB and Machine Head and Unholy Alliance in November too.
Saw Kataklysm with Dying Fetus, Eluveitie, and Keep of Kalessin earlier this month and it was amazing. Planning to see the Faceless and Abigail Williams in two weeks
Megadeth in february was the best night of this year. Such an energy on stage and it was only chris brodericks 3rd show with megadeth and the beginning of their europe tour.
umm, I suppose Immortal, Judas Priest and Carcass were the top ones

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Pagenfest
Twilight of the Thunder God
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Metallica, Tenacious D, Sweet Savage, Firewind and Kiuas were all great this year.

The rest of the bands I saw were local ones.

Opeth and Cynic in about 4 weeks though, that should be good.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
Metallica, Tenacious D, Sweet Savage, Firewind and Kiuas were all great this year.

The rest of the bands I saw were local ones.

Opeth and Cynic in about 4 weeks though, that should be good.

Forgot to mention I had tickets to Keep of Kalessin, but couldn't go cause I had other things to attend to that night.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Defenders of the Faith Tour - Opeth, Arch Enemy, DevilDriver and 3IOB.

I had an access all areas pass and met Opeth.

Iron Maiden at Twickenham was quite simple amazing.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Didn't get to see many bands that I wanted to see: Necrophagist, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, Belphegor, Eluveitie, and others.

My friends, who generally like the more famous metal bands, will only go with me to see bands like COB and In Flames.
Opeth was the most dissappointing band I saw live this year. At The Gates was just fuckin' amazing. No words can be used to describe the experience. It was just... unforgettable. Amorphis kicked ass as always. Magic & Mayhem > all other songs live. Nightwish was fuckin' entertaining.
Prog Nation 08 was mine... Every band on the bill was amazing... Accept Dream Theater... I felt like I was listening to an album and that was it... They need to just stick to making albums...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
^Lawl, Warbringer?

They were the lulz.

*cheesy poem about death surrounding us*
*generic thrash*
*raise hands and looks at the crowd in semi-menacing fashion*

Best live experience this year for me is either Turisas/Ensiferum when they came for Paganfest or Opeth. But, Iced Earth does come close.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
^Lawl, Warbringer?

They were the lulz.

*cheesy poem about death surrounding us*
*generic thrash*
*raise hands and looks at the crowd in semi-menacing fashion*

Best live experience this year for me is either Turisas/Ensiferum when they came for Paganfest or Opeth. But, Iced Earth does come close.

They weren't the ones making the show awesome

Pretty funny though
Suffocation and Desaster made the year for me.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
My fav was when Nightwish came over.

Hopefully next week the Kamelot show will be my fav.
This year i've seen Amon Amarth and Esiferum in october and it was amazing adn Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, and Keep of Kalessin and that show was awesome too.

Going to see Job for a Cowboy, Faceless, and Lamb of God in december
I went to this big thing with Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake and Kiss earlier this year. I'm only 13 and it was my first concert! I'm not exactly big fans of them but not many decent metal bands every come down to New Zealand... But there was awesome special effects and Whitesnake were really good live so...
I just got back from Keep of Kalessin, Eluveitie, and Kataklysm in Toronto, and that was one hell of a show! All three bands were great, Kataklysm seemed like super cool dudes. They even found someone's glasses and searched them out in the crowd to return them, haha. Eluveitie's sound was pretty bad, but the performance was good, and they played Inis Mona, which made my night. Keep of Kalessin blew me away, very interactive with us people up front; it was cool having them reach out and grab our hands and all that. I picked up an awesome shirt of theirs as well. Great night, one of my top shows of '08 for sure.
Other cool shows I've seen this year have been Opeth with Three, Amon Amarth with Ensiferum and Belphegor (just a week ago, lots of shows lately), just Ensiferum playing a show in my town, Kalmah, and thats all I think. Haven't been too disappointed in any band, they've all put on great shows; I usually end up being surprised by how good bands are. Next week I'm going to see Quo Vadis with a new line-up and playing some new tracks, so that should be another good time.
Quote by flying_phoenix
Kataklysm seemed like super cool dudes. They even found someone's glasses and searched them out in the crowd to return them, haha.

lol, that reminds me of when i find Mike Beams (ex-Exhumed) car keys on the floor, he gave me a huge hug
My sig is better than yours
Iron Maiden/Trivium at the PNC Bank Arts Center. Easily the best show of the year for me. The Rockstar Mayhem Festival is a close 2nd.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Maiden in March. Ancient Mariner live = amazing.

Carcass and Suffocation last September featured some pretty brutal sets, made for a very good show. I'm seeing Dismember and Augury next Thursday, and from what I've heard Dismember put on a very, very good show so I'm psyched.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Paganfest.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
In February I saw Queensryche, Immolation, Rotting Christ, Belphegor, Warbringer, Arsis, Exodus and Down all within 6 days. Great shows from all, Exodus and Down especially.

Prog Nation, but I unfortunately missed 3 and BTBAM, but Opeth and Dream Theater were worth the long drive (and getting lost twice).

I think I saw GWAR sometime in here.

Metal Masters. Testament, Motorhead, Sabbath, and Priest. An all around amazing show. Plus I got to see Testament headline at my local venue the night before.

Iced Earth, just a week ago in NYC.

And in April Exodus/Kreator at the same venue I saw Iced Earth at, and a couple days before that Exodus are playing an off date at my local venue.
I've seen Nile with The Facless, Unexpect, Warbringer and someother shitty band that I don't want to mention, Origin with Misery Index and Absymal Dawn, The Summer Slaughter Tour, Metal Masters and Gigantour. They were all great.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
Last edited by cliffemall123 at Oct 24, 2008,
Maiden was ****ing amazing, I was completely blown away.

Also saw Helloween and Gamma Ray which was just awesome.
Dethklok was probably the greatest concert I've ever been to in my life.

Prog nation was really good too, BTBAM was phenomenal live, I was disapointed that their set was only half an hour.

Opeth was ****ing great too as expected (I saw them at Prog Nation and on their own tour).

And I guess a Paul Gilbert clinic doesn't really count as a "Metal concert" but **** that it was the highlight of my year so far.
i think between the two i went to, being gigantour and Quo Vadis, Quo vadis did the best. they had a GREAT assortment of starters. Mr Rubber Finger is an instrumental metal group with a guitarist as good, if not better than Vai. Pysidius has some really awesome songs, Profugus Mortis was just too awesome for words, and Quo Vadis... my god. too much win in one bar. the pit was intense.
Page 1 of 2