I have to ask this because it has really been bugging me....

I have looked on millions of videos and this is the one thing that is not explained....
When strumming a five string chord, or 4 string....like an A or a D.
Do you strum and miss the top string? or mute it? or wot?

what do you do with the top string...
because I am trying to strum and learn to miss playing the top string, and start with the root note, but it seems way too hard... Is it something Ill get with practice? Or am I doing it wrong...

Also some strumming patterns only seem to play a few notes from the chord...so do they strum all the strings, and just mute the ones they dont want...or do they minimize the strum to just 3 strings? Because then it seems really hard to change from an up strum to a down strum when your only up strumming the higher strings. and want to down strum them all....

Thanks in advance.
miss it. Yes you'll get it with practice. With practice you will also be able to strum just the three middle strings or the two top strings or whatever.
Si
I'm getting into the habit of muting unwanted strings with my fretting hand, I really prefer that way as you don't end up accidently hitting something you don't want. It also allows your picking hans to focus more on what strings you are wanting to play and not worry about the others. I would usually only do this for one string though, if you mute too many strings your chord starts to sound very clunky.
Yes mute the strings if it's not too much trouble but only so that if you accidentally hit them they won't ring. Try not to hit them in the first place. You will get the hang of it with practice. Othertimes you have to mute strings.
Si
You miss them, if you mute them and still hit them you get that percusive "chunk" sound that F's up the whole chord. Practice missing the unused strings and you'll get it right.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Helpy Helperton
I'm getting into the habit of muting unwanted strings with my fretting hand, I really prefer that way as you don't end up accidently hitting something you don't want. It also allows your picking hans to focus more on what strings you are wanting to play and not worry about the others. I would usually only do this for one string though, if you mute too many strings your chord starts to sound very clunky.

Muting is a separate issue - it's not a substitute for simply learning to hit the right strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ I tried to edit my post a little, I was thinking more in terms of just muting the top string. However I do agree that if it is more than one string, yes you are better off missing out the ones you don't want (but remember you're not going to have this luxury when the string you don't want appears in the middle of your chord)