so, i've been playing for almost four years and never bothered with theory, i know basics though, also i only read tab not notation. i'm grade 6 and now i'm starting to think i'm not gunna pass my next grading if i don't learn theory. i know most things and could easily learn notation (i know some). but i only mainly know pentatonic and the blues scale off my head.

can anyone recomend what scales to learn and how to keep them stuck in my mind so i don't forget!!!??????

cheers
how did u get to grade 6 with out learning theory??!?! anyway, i recently decide to learn theory aswell, i bought a book call music theory for dummies (actually it may have been the "idoits guide to thoery" but the dummies ones are just as good). its really helpfull. allthough its not desinged for a guitarist, but im sure ur cool with that). the best way to learn scales i find is just practice them all over the fretboard, so learn where every note in that scale in every place on the fret board (for some reason im finding this difficult to explain). just start with the major and minor keys then learn the weirder ones. hope it helps
well, i'm good at all the songs and stuff but i kinda get flukey when it comes to the theory part, like jut revising over it and hope for the best 10 minutes before the exam.

thanks for the advice
Did you learn your major scale before the pentatonics and blues?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Did you learn your major scale before the pentatonics and blues?

nope, my teacher doesnt think it is neccesery for me to learn theory, so when i improvise all i can use is pentatonic. i still don't know my major or minor scales :S
Quote by n to the k
nope, my teacher doesnt think it is neccesery for me to learn theory, so when i improvise all i can use is pentatonic. i still don't know my major or minor scales :S

Drop him as fast as humanly possible.
How much are you paying for lessons?
Dude im guessing your grade 6 with the rockschool books?? just read the theory sections in the books from 3 upwards they only test you on what is in the book....
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by n to the k
Run, don't walk, away from this "teacher" immediately and find one who knows what and how to teach.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
thanks guys.

btw my teacher isn't an idiot, my mum and dad know him personally. he just doesnt think its neccesary for me at the moment. i think he wants me to get my grades and then focus on practical stuff. i will ask him about it anyway, i think he will be willing to teach me theory
If he said "the major scale isn't important to learn theory" he IS an idiot. If he said "the major scale is a little out of reach right now" that's different.

He should start teaching you the notes, intervals, and how the scales are built which leads directly to the major scale.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
... but not focus on the theory parts of the grades?

There's a decent amount of theory in those grades. The fact that your mum and dad know him doesn't recommend him unless they're musicians.
Quote by Freepower
... but not focus on the theory parts of the grades?

There's a decent amount of theory in those grades. The fact that your mum and dad know him doesn't recommend him unless they're musicians.

trust me, he is no dick head. he's a good teacher when we do songs he always tries his best to help me improve but when it comes to improv he tells me what key to play in.

i think i might just teach myself theory.
Then he's an idiot. For the love of God, please drop him. I will teach you. Come under my wing small child.

You need to learn the major scale. After that you can understand keys. If you can understand keys, you can safely improvise Trust me.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
How does that whole grade system work? I'm not trying to get off topic but is it some kind of overseas thing? I'm just curious.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by metal4all
Then he's an idiot. For the love of God, please drop him. I will teach you. Come under my wing small child.

You need to learn the major scale. After that you can understand keys. If you can understand keys, you can safely improvise Trust me.

i understand keys (not very well). i understand the notes and how its like sharp and stuff and there is no b sharp or whatever (i think).

i don't understand how chords get their names. e.g esus4. wtf does that mean??
Quote by n to the k
i understand keys (not very well). i understand the notes and how its like sharp and stuff and there is no b sharp or whatever (i think).

i don't understand how chords get their names. e.g esus4. wtf does that mean??
There is a B#. It just happens to produce the same tone as C (the technical term is enharmonic.

You understand keys but you don't understand the major scale? Explain this please.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
There is a B#. It just happens to produce the same tone as C (the technical term is enharmonic.

You understand keys but you don't understand the major scale? Explain this please.

i've never learned the major scale
dude im pretty much exactly the same as u in terms of grade 6 and a bit of a theory retard.
try learning the major scale and then a load of modes eg. dorian, mixolydian etc
opens up a new dimension to ur playing nd u can sound like santana nd ppl by just leaving out or flattening certain notes