Ok, I know how A Phrygian is played, but how do I make it into A minor phrygian?

Is it just simply to move all the note 1 half step down?
It's easy to be a rock star, but a musician? jeeez..

Originally posted by Jag513
Don't worry, I like long tongues
No, I can't, but my ex could...she was really flexible. But yeah, it's not impossible to lick it, it's impossible to kiss it.
A Phrygian IS A minor phrygian/A phrygian minor. However, it's only rarely called minor phrygian, and is done to distinguish it from Phrygian major/dominant.(that's at least what I've seen about it).

Moving all the notes down a half step would give you A flat phrygian.
No. A phrygian is a minor mode already so how ur supposed to make more minor?
鋼の錬金術師
i really dont see the point cos minor is a mode and phrygian is another mode.

it's like: how do i do a major to a majorminor... it's just dont make sense.
Yeah, dude i have no idea what you are asking. if you are playing A major then it is A ionian if you play A minor then its is A Aolean and there is A phrygian. It is just the way it is
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
oh and if you move all the notes 1/2 step down you would be in Ab phrygian....
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
So, I have a song that goes in the key of A minor, I can make a melody/solo out of it using A phrygian or A Aoelan? But not Ionian(major)?

And is Phrygian and Aoelan always minors? any else that is?

EDIT: Hmm.. after I think about it, I know how to build a chord, getting from major to minor, and A ionian become A phrygian when I move the major notes down

No, I can't, but my ex could...she was really flexible. But yeah, it's not impossible to lick it, it's impossible to kiss it.
Technically when you go into Harmonic minor modes and such there are things like Phrygian dominant.
Of you are playing in the key of Am, your lead can be in Amin. You typically need a slightly different chord sequence to truly play phrygian.

A Ionian only becomes a Phrygian if you move down the second, third, sixth, and seventh.
Aoelan is the other name for minor. So Phrygian is not minor, Phrygian is Phrygian.
First of all, you can play what ever you want. You aren't stuck in any one key. But if you wanted keys to match then if you are playing in A minor then solo in A minor. You could play in a phrygian but you solo would have a Bb and your music would be playing a B.

Basically A Phrygian is closer to A minor then A major.

Keep in mind the the tonality (minor or major) does not always mean compatability
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Wow. This looks like an easy question and it has an easy answer, but to understand it I have to explain a LOT.

A Phrygian is the same as A minor Phrygian. That is because Phrygian is a minor mode of the A scale.

Now for the explanation:
If you take A as a root note, there are 7 different modes to be played: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian. These can be divided into 2 categories: "major modes" and "minor modes".
How do you know which mode is major and which is minor? Well, "major" and "minor" are determined by the 3rd and 5th note in the scale:

"Major" scales have a "major 3rd" (2 whole tones higher than the root) and a perfect 5th (7 semitones or 3,5 whole tones higher than the root)
Triad: 1 3 5

"Minor" scales have a "minor 3rd" (only 1,5 whole tones or 3 semitones higher than the root) and a perfect 5th.
Triad: 1 b3 5

So which modes have a major 3rd and perfect 5th? (1 3 5)
Ionian (major) mode: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lydian mode: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian mode: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7

And which have a minor 3rd and perfect 5th? (1 b3 5)
Dorian mode: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian mode: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Aeolian (minor) mode: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

So Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian are "major" and Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian are "minor.
What about Locrian? Well Locrian has 1 b3 b5 which is a "minor 3rd" and a "diminished 5th" (only 6 semitones up from root), which makes Locrian a "diminished" mode rather than major or minor.

To answer your question: A Phrygian and A minor Phrygian are the same thing, because Phrygian is a minor mode. If you made every note a half step lower, you would get A flat Phrygian...

Cheers!
ZeG
hmm.. ok. Chord sequence is
-------------------------
-------------------------
---2-----------------9---
---2----2-----9----10--
---0----3----10----8---
---------1----8----------

A5, Fmaj7 -3, Bbmaj7 - 3, Fmaj7 -3

Looks fairly major to me
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
A5, Fmaj7 -3, Bbmaj7 - 3, Fmaj7 -3

I'd myself use A phyrigian over the A5 chord and over the Bbmaj7 and you could use ionian over Fmaj7 or if you want to play with some modes try a lydian over them.
鋼の錬金術師
ok. thnx =)

So, I have a song that goes in the key of A minor, I can make a melody/solo out of it using A phrygian or A Aoelan? But not Ionian(major)?

If your song is in A minor, use the A minor scale. Modes don't enter into it at all.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by HUNYeti
Aoelan is the other name for minor. So Phrygian is not minor, Phrygian is Phrygian.

phrygian is a minor scale.
Quote by teknotard
Yeah, dude i have no idea what you are asking. if you are playing A major then it is A ionian if you play A minor then its is A Aolean and there is A phrygian. It is just the way it is

No. If you are playing A major then it is A major. If you´re playing A Ionian then it´s A Ionian. If you are playing A minor then its A minor. A Aeolian=A Aeolian. Keys=/=Modal.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess to contribute, I suggest the OP read the theory sticky and study major/minor scales in all keys, then when comfortable with that tackle modes.
Why don't you just play around? You can probably make it more evil sounding (i'm presuming this is what you want) by messing around with it. As long as it SOUNDS good i'm sure noone will care which key you're in.