hey guys, i'm in a death metal/death core band (job for a cowboy, whitechapel, etc..) and i'm looking for a bit of a beefier tone out of my rig. this is what i have setup so far

guitar --> wireless --> boss ns-2 noise suppressor pedal -->marshall jcm 2000 tsl 100 --> effects loop --> behringer rackmount tuner --> bbe 482i sonic maximizer --> effects return --> line 6 4x12 slantcab

we tune to drop C, and the guitars i use are a schecter c1 elite with d'addario 11s, and a schecter c1 hellraiser FR with DR 10's

for settings on the lead channel i have the presence at around 7, fx mix at 9, reverb at 3, bass at 5, mids at 7, highs at 7, gain at 6.

don't get me wrong i love my tone, but i'm just trying to beefen it up a little bit. i can probably spend about 200-300$ for something, but any suggestions at any price are welcome.

thanks alot!
Honestly, when I think of the TSL I know think of beefy tone. They are thin and raspy sounding by nature IMO. It is already a mid focused amp, so I would try to turn the mids down to 4 and raise the master volume to almost full. Then use the channel volume for level preference. This will help you squeeze more poweramp thump from the amp.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
First off although this won't necessarily beefen your tone, put the ns2 as the first item in the effects loop!!

Secondly, get an OD like a Maxon suggested above. I would recommend an OD808 and not an OD9, it's continuously been used more for metal than the OD9. Both will work though. Then buy an EQ like an MXR 10 band. Don't skimp out on the EQ and get a Boss GE7 or a DOD eq, they will suck your tone and seem lifeless. The MXR eq is the only one i've seen which will make a huge difference.

Use it to increase the mid-highs and low end. Your amp by then should have some bigger balls.
if i were to get the maxon od9 where in the chain would it go, assuming that i put the noise suppressor 1st in the effects chain insttead of between the wireless and amp input?
put the od9 in front of the amp
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
do you have the deep button engaged? also the mid shift button engaged? also try an EQ.

which line 6 cab do you have? this may actually be hurting your tone a little bit depending on which cab it is
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
As said, an OD is a must to tighten up your gain. What speakers are in your cab?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Dude, just get a new cab. Check out a used mesa Recto cab with V30s in em or since your on a budget check out avatars.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ok.... this is what you need to do.. yes your gonna think i`m INSANE... but it works trust me i was blown away too, i just found this out today.....

plug your head into the stereo side of your cab. it`s an 8ohm input it`ll turn off 2 speakers and run 2 speakers. so you`ll basicly turn it into a huge 2X12 flip your amp to 8 ohm, thats it, cost nothing to do and OMG it had a HUGE effect on my JCM 900, it`s so HUGE and bassy sounding now, i can`t believe how good my amp sounds doing that.

i know it goes against all logic.... but just do it.

oh ya. get rid of the sonic maximzer... throw a MXR 108 EQ in the loop you`ll cream yourself, thats what i run in my 900
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Oct 23, 2008,
the cab is a piece, its the one that matches the line 6 spider II HD half stack, the first stack i got wayyy back in the day. yeah i've messed around with the deep button and the mid shift button alot too and i just cant seem to find the brutal tone i'm looking for. i'm going to look into new cabs and equializer and the OK.

slayerdeath - why get rid of the sonic maximizer? i love that thing haha
Quote by rocknatickrec
the cab is a piece, its the one that matches the line 6 spider II HD half stack, the first stack i got wayyy back in the day. yeah i've messed around with the deep button and the mid shift button alot too and i just cant seem to find the brutal tone i'm looking for. i'm going to look into new cabs and equializer and the OK.

slayerdeath - why get rid of the sonic maximizer? i love that thing haha

That could be it. Actually, that is most likely it.

Slayerdeath's recommendation of running a "detuned" (sort of) 2x12 works as well, it gives a huge low end, but it works better if you remove two speakers.
because i tryed a sonic maximizer AND the MXR 108 EQ at the same time with my 900., don`t get me wrong the maximizer is a good pedal, BUT the 108 does the same thing and so much more. needless to say the MXR 108 10 band EQ is what i kept between the two.

oh and you shouldn`t run both at the same time.... i had an amp builder tell me i`m risking blowing up the output transformer on my 900 by running the EQ like i do, with all the low end and gain, although he said once i do he`ll throw a 100watt JCM 800 output transformer in and then my amp will be bulletproof. so i can`t see your amp lasting long running BOTH the EQ and the maximizer.

but ya totaly do the huge 2X12 thing... i guess theres this foam you can get for subs to put over top of them to filter out the treble i was told to get some of that and remove 2 of the speakers i`m not using and put the foam in the holes, it should increase the lowend even more, but i doubt i`m gonna, i just moved the speakers around in the cab so the 2 that are on are in the left and right conrners not just on one side.