TL;DR VERSION AT THE END OF POST!

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now and I'm confident enough to say that I'm pretty decent at it. My gear holds me back a bit, but once I get some money saved up I'll buy a better guitar. But here's the thing that bothers me because I dont know how I should feel about this.

I went to Sam Ash a few weeks ago and I was jamming there a little bit just to kill some time while my friend went out to dinner with his parents since were gonna go hang out later. I'm playing a cheap LTD and I'm just doing some tapping things and this guy who immediately lays down an ungodly amount of money for a custom shop guitar, this is the exact guitar, its weird because this guitar, wooden pickup covers and everything had been laying around in the shop for a few years before he picked it up.

http://www.warriorinstruments.com/current_guitar_gallery_v9.htm

Now, he hears me play and he comes over to me and he's like "hey dude that's a really cool riff" and we start talking about music, the guitars on the walls, etc. So he brings out the singlecut posted above and they also bring one out from the back that looks like this

http://www.warriorinstruments.com/current_guitar_gallery_v1_il.htm

same design as the other one just as a double cut.

So instead of him demoing it out, he asks the salesman "hey why dont you let him demo it?" I'm pretty much floored at this point and I asked him why and he's like "Well I dont want to demo it, I want you to do it" Gladly I took him up the offer, and holy shit it was literally the best guitar I've EVER played. Felt amazing and I really felt that "Extension of the body" feeling that some people get.

That's the background story, so we start talking a bit more when I finish demoing both guitars for him and he asks me if I know how to sweep, I tell him I dont know and he tells me the thing that really bothers me.

"You play the same way I play, except you dont know how to sweep"

Now, I went to Guitar Center yesterday and I was talking to one of the salesmen and I was demoing an RG and he tells me "Dude you play pretty good, how long you been playing?" I tell him 3 years and he tells me

"Wow dude that's cool, you play pretty much the same way I do"

Now mind you, these guys are a lot older and they're more experienced than I am but here's where I'm split. I dont know if I should feel good about it and say that I can keep up with more experienced players, or if I should feel bad because I play like someone else, even though I never intended to in the first place.

So, the question is, should I feel proud that I can keep up with more experienced players or should I feel bad that I play like somebody else and that I'm guessing it means I'm not a very unique guitarist?

tl;dr: Some better players said that I play the same way they do, should I feel proud about it or should I feel bad because it makes me sound like I'm not unique?
You play how you play man. I wouldnt worry about it, take it as a compliment.
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
If you kill them...the style will be all your own.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
I reckon they were trying to raise their status (in their mind) by somehow relating to you. EDIT: I'm talking about the "Oh yeah? Me too" (trying to make it seem like it's not a big deal to you, but in their mind you're way above them) kind of thing.

Anyway, I don't think it matters.
Last edited by soulflyV at Oct 23, 2008,
We shouldn't decide how you take it. What do you feel? Are you initially upset or happy about that statement. I mean im sure if your guitar idol said "you and i play the same way" you'd be happy, but since they're no names(so to speak) said it it makes you uncomfortable. I don't know, that's psychology for you.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
I don't think he meant it like 'you copy your style from me'

Lots of people have the same 'style' - it's nothing to feel down about. I'd rather play in a band with people with the same style as me, then having it varied.

tl;dr: It's nothing to worry about, your styles are similar, that's all.
RULE BRITANNIA
Guys with a lot more experience saying that you play the same as they do is a good thing.

If you want a more unique sound, then seek one out. Playing as skillfully as people with more experience is not something to worry about.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by soulflyV
I reckon they were trying to raise their status (in their mind) by somehow relating to you. EDIT: I'm talking about the "Oh yeah? Me too" (trying to make it seem like it's not a big deal to you, but in their mind you're way above them) kind of thing.

Anyway, I don't think it matters.

This^
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I don't think he meant it like 'you copy your style from me'

Lots of people have the same 'style' - it's nothing to feel down about. I'd rather play in a band with people with the same style as me, then having it varied.

tl;dr: It's nothing to worry about, your styles are similar, that's all.

Ah ok, I'm a very modest person, I feel happy about it because its a huge compliment but then again, I dont want to become a pompous asshole and say "Oh yeah, I can do this and that" and then have somebody else younger than me come up to me and own the crap out of me
"lol" that you undergo such a lengthy thought process and even consult a forum before making your mind up about YOUR OWN FEELINGS on a statement that isn't even important in the slightest.
I've been here since '04.

if you didn't try to be like anyone, then you should be proud, it does however depend how good these experienced players were though
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

I'm the opposite. I like the fact that the other guitarist in the band has a different style to me. Otherwise, it'd be boring!
Quote by NFFC_1865
"lol" that you undergo such a lengthy thought process and even consult a forum before making your mind up about YOUR OWN FEELINGS on a statement that isn't even important in the slightest.

'lol' at the fact your opinion is in the minority.
RULE BRITANNIA
So what if they say you sound like them?

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

Huh?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by NFFC_1865

Its important to me because I dont want to become a pompous asshole and expect compliments like that every single time I go out and play in public, I want to know if its alright to receive compliments like that, I never learned that from anyone, its one of the reasons I'm going to therapy, in short yes I'm self conscious, deal with it.
Wwpgd?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Eric 666
Its important to me because I dont want to become a pompous asshole and expect compliments like that every single time I go out and play in public, I want to know if its alright to receive compliments like that, I never learned that from anyone, its one of the reasons I'm going to therapy, in short yes I'm self conscious, deal with it.

It's ok to accept a compliment. In fact, it's usually considered good manners. Just don't expect sex. Never expect sex.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

To be honest, this story was quite anti-climactic, it was great reading until the "this is what bothered me..." part, I was dreaming up a story filled with guitar playing paedophiles and a beaten up van in a dark alleyway, and your heroic escape with his guitar in hand.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, three years isn't a very long time to play guitar for, I've been playing three years and I've only recently begun to develop my own playing style and writing style.

Anyway, if Michael Amott told me I play like him, I'd be floating on a wave of smugness to strong, the Earth would crack beneath it.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
To be honest, this story was quite anti-climactic, it was great reading until the "this is what bothered me..." part, I was dreaming up a story filled with guitar playing paedophiles and a beaten up van in a dark alleyway, and your heroic escape with his guitar in hand.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, three years isn't a very long time to play guitar for, I've been playing three years and I've only recently begun to develop my own playing style and writing style.

Anyway, if Michael Amott told me I play like him, I'd be floating on a wave of smugness to strong, the Earth would crack beneath it.

I thought it was gonna end with "And he bought me the guitar!"

I cried a little.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
It took Joe satriani 14 years of playing guitar to get his first instrumental album written and on the shelves, and u whine that u don't have developed a unique style in 3 years?

Talk less play more until they say hey that's pretty original instead of you sound just like me. But seriously take those comments with a grain of salt. Cause there are alot of people that play 3 chords and are seen as guitar gods.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
they were losers who were pretty much shocked when they saw your amazing skillz of the sacred br00talz.

seriously.

someone who has been playing like 20 years (arbitrary number i made up) and says that they play the same as someone who has been playing for 3 years... doesnt sound right. do not take me wrong, you can be an amazing guitarrist but if someone has been playin for... (arbitrary number #2) 20 years or 10 or whatever, they sure have a lot of experience so how can they be like "omg you are the same as me"... thats a pretty noobish statement. more when you take into account that the guy with the wood-covered-pickups DIDNT WANT TO DEMO IT! please explain that to me. it can be an amazing guitar, but last time i checked, he wasnt you.
---

tl dr:they were losers who were pretty much shocked when they saw your amazing skillz of th3 sAcR€d br00talz.

seriously.

also excuse the big wall-o'-text, and the 5-year-old grammar and spelling, i have slept only 3 hours of the last 24. long story.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by 5th_fret

also excuse the big wall-o'-text, and the 5-year-old grammar and spelling, i have slept only 3 hours of the last 24. long story.

In that case, definitely don't tell me, since the complete headfuck caused by your lack of grammar and correct spelling will destoy the Earth. Innit. Nigga.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by 5th_fret
they were losers who were pretty much shocked when they saw your amazing skillz of the sacred br00talz.

seriously.

someone who has been playing like 20 years (arbitrary number i made up) and says that they play the same as someone who has been playing for 3 years... doesnt sound right. do not take me wrong, you can be an amazing guitarrist but if someone has been playin for... (arbitrary number #2) 20 years or 10 or whatever, they sure have a lot of experience so how can they be like "omg you are the same as me"... thats a pretty noobish statement. more when you take into account that the guy with the wood-covered-pickups DIDNT WANT TO DEMO IT! please explain that to me. it can be an amazing guitar, but last time i checked, he wasnt you.
---

tl dr:they were losers who were pretty much shocked when they saw your amazing skillz of th3 sAcR€d br00talz.

seriously.

He did jam with me a bit afterwards and showed me how to do some sweeps he thought was cool and he was a good player, I dont know how long he had been playing, but he was good. The wood covered pickups are just a cosmetic thing, they were DiMarzio pickups or Seymour Duncans, I forget which but the salesman said the brand.

EDIT: I practice more than 6 hours every day that I'm off work because I really have nothing else to do
Last edited by Eric 666 at Oct 23, 2008,
Well how do they play? If Steve Vai told me I played like him I'd be honored, to say the least.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I checked ya myspace; You Say ur a good guitarist and have a good knowledge about recording stuff.

where are the recordings?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The way the OP told that story makes me feel like he plays quite similar to me.

Without the sweep picking.
Millions of people shred with the same technique, I'm just stating my opinion but I find it very hard to be original in that genre but if you like the music just keep playing it how you are, you will find yourself sounding like other people with the same vocabulary and stuff, but eventually you will find a spot you like and are comfortable with and do that for the rest of your life. I wouldn't worry about it.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I checked ya myspace; You Say ur a good guitarist and have a good knowledge about recording stuff.

where are the recordings?

Check out my profile here on UG, a Moment Of Solitude is a crappy recording because my clean channel sounds like crap and there's background noise since the TV was on. The other one though shows off some tapping stuff I did and its actually pretty nice...but I get what I call recording anxiety and whenever I'm recording because I think I'm gonna mess up and I can't concentrate.
Let me solve your worried frustration.

It was me at the guitar shop that jammed with you.

I lied.

You really suck.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Let me solve your worried frustration.

It was me at the guitar shop that jammed with you.

I lied.

You really suck.

Sir, you theory has been thus proved wrong!

Quote by strat0blaster
I thought it was gonna end with "And he bought me the guitar!"

I cried a little.

HA!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Ouwch. You got owned. Not just owned but raped, choked, killed and strung up like a Christmas ham.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman