My band just started recording our first song, and after about 3 hours and two days we get done with the drum track. When I went to record the bass I find out (After about 20 tries to make sure it wasn't just me) there is a slight delay between the time that I actually play the note and the time the note is recorded. Because of this it's become impossible to get the other instruments on time with the drum track (Or anything for that matter).

What do I do to fix this? I read somewhere that it could be a problem with the latency on my sound card, but I don't know how to fix it. Oh, and we're recording by micing the amp and running it through a soundboard for equalization, then running it into my laptop (Using CoolEdit Pro).
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
maybe this sounds stupid...I don't know. Just giving my two cents, ok? Record the song live...with everyone playing at the same time. It will take lots of tweaking to get the levels tight for each instrument but it's the way everyone i know does it.
I'm no expert by any means, but couldn't you just record as you have been, with the guitars playing to the drum track, and then move that track in the software so it lines up with the beat?
Tried going in to controlpanel (no idea if thats the name in english), than setting the recording device as input for mic?
Had the same prob with my toneport before, and thats what I did... I think.. It solved the prob, however.

Bad soundcard might be the case too, though...
Quote by sausagescharlie
maybe this sounds stupid...I don't know. Just giving my two cents, ok? Record the song live...with everyone playing at the same time. It will take lots of tweaking to get the levels tight for each instrument but it's the way everyone i know does it.

To get the sound anywhere near the quality we want that way we'd need about 5 more mics. Plus Multitracking is the best way to get high-quality recordings because you can tweak every instrument individually and double up instruments if necessary.

Quote by crossy uk
I'm no expert by any means, but couldn't you just record as you have been, with the guitars playing to the drum track, and then move that track in the software so it lines up with the beat?

We actually tried that, the delay is smaller than any increment that the track is movable. It's just enough to make it sound like I can't play on time worth crap.

Quote by lutfish

Tried going in to controlpanel (no idea if thats the name in english), than setting the recording device as input for mic?
Had the same prob with my toneport before, and thats what I did... I think.. It solved the prob, however.

Bad soundcard might be the case too, though...

Already did that before recording was ever started, I disabled the on-board laptop mic and made the mic input the only device.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
first, get the Asio4All driver, install it and use that insead of the stock audio driver, that should improve the latency.

unfortunatly, with the laptops on-board soundcard, it may not be possible to get the latency down to an acceptible time, computer sound cards aren't designed for recording at all.
What kind of soundcard are you using ? Stock card? Because if so, then I wouldn't be holding my breath for this to be resolved. As people have said, you could try the ASIO4ALL driver, but you really need a recording soundcard or interface to eliminate noticeable latency.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by ollieayre1
As i said above i've got Pod Xt which acts as a soundcard does it not?

If you use the USB out.

And yeah, it's latency. Get a Firewire or PCI interface, and it should be tolerable.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101