Hi guys. I've toyed with the idea of learning (or trying to learn) the electric guitar for a while now, and am as keen as I've ever been to give it a go..........question is, what kit do I want/need!?

Just hoping to get opinions from some more experienced (won't be hard!) guys and gals out there. What would be a decent guitar/guitar package to learn to play on?

I've seen plenty of good reviews on a Crafter Cruiser RG600, and would be curious to know if 'Swift' is a decent make......any opinions welcome!
learn on acoustic first

and try the searchbar, there are a lot of threads like this where you will find good advice

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I've not heard of swift and I've been at this a long time, so it's either bad, or a diamond in the rough.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
^ +1

basically, how much money can you realistically spend, what type of music do you play, what country are you in, and do you think you'll stick with it once you start?

i should add that i disagree with getting a strat pack or starting on acoustic (depending on what music you play).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ValoRhoads
I've not heard of swift and I've been at this a long time, so it's either bad, or a diamond in the rough.

Here's an example of a Swift to give you an idea. Like I say I'm totally new to this so I have no idea what I'm looking for!

Swift

And the Crafter:

RG600
I don't think the RG600 is actually called "Cruiser", seeing as that word isn't anywhere on their website. Care to give us the Swift's model number?
EDIT: I don't see that shape on their website. On a related topic, what kind of music are you looking to play?
EDIT2: For everyone else's benefit all the Crafters seem to have a basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

basically, how much money can you realistically spend, what type of music do you play, what country are you in, and do you think you'll stick with it once you start?

i should add that i disagree with getting a strat pack or starting on acoustic (depending on what music you play).

I'm in the UK, and money is not really an issue to be honest though I'm not prepared to fork out a lot of money for something at the risk of it being a passing phase. It doesn't make sense which is why I've been looking at used equipment.

Have recently got the new Metallica album which has rekindled my teenage headbanging days! So to hopefully learn to play rock/metal would be a goal.
A Roland Cube and a Mexican Fat Strat of an Epiphone LP may be a good start for gear. And shouldn't be too expensive...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
if you like metal, then definitely check out the roland cube series.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

The 30 watt is a pretty standard starting guitar, loud enough to play with drums if you ever need to. There's a 20 watt and 15 watt model as well, in case you don't want to drop 200+ on an amp.

Amps are much more important to your sound than guitars, however, so keep that in mind.

ESP's are good metal guitars, though you'll have to spend a little more to get a worthwhile one. I happen to love schecter's, but they're also a little more expensive.

Ibanez's are pretty kickass for metal as well, look at RG's. They're pretty standard startign guitars. The RG120 is the basic model, and it's decent.

Don't take all of these suggestions as end-all choices, either. The best thing you can do is learn a little bit about certain features, figure out what is best for you, and go to a guitar shop as an informed shopper.

Also, don't be surprised if what you thought you wanted turned out to be completely different from what you really wanted, you only really start to learn about what you want after you buy you're first gear.
Quote by battermytreble
I'm in the UK, and money is not really an issue to be honest though I'm not prepared to fork out a lot of money for something at the risk of it being a passing phase. It doesn't make sense which is why I've been looking at used equipment.

Have recently got the new Metallica album which has rekindled my teenage headbanging days! So to hopefully learn to play rock/metal would be a goal.

ok... something like a roland cube (either the microcube or the cube 30, the cube 15 and 20 aren't as good, they don't have as many amp models) for the amp would be great for that, and maybe a yamaha pacifica 112v (don't go for a lower model than the 112)? that'd be cool, would go for around £200- £230 (if you go with the microcube)... problem is if you cheap out much more, you run the risk of getting something which is useless, which will only increase your chances of giving up...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh, and i'm not sure about going used for a first guitar (unless you have a friend who plays guitar and knows about setups etc.)- it's certainly worth a few extra quid to be able to go to your local guitar shop and ask them to set the thing up for you, or to teach you how to restring, without their chasing you because you didn't buy there...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok... something like a roland cube (either the microcube or the cube 30, the cube 15 and 20 aren't as good, they don't have as many amp models) for the amp would be great for that, and maybe a yamaha pacifica 112v (don't go for a lower model than the 112)? that'd be cool, would go for around £200- £230 (if you go with the microcube)... problem is if you cheap out much more, you run the risk of getting something which is useless, which will only increase your chances of giving up...

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Just to satisfy my curiousity, what would be your opinion of the Crafter RG600? As I posted earlier, I only read good things about it and it certainly looks a little different from the norm.
Quote by battermytreble
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Just to satisfy my curiousity, what would be your opinion of the Crafter RG600? As I posted earlier, I only read good things about it and it certainly looks a little different from the norm.

i haven't tried it, but my concern would be that it's crap. there are several reasons for this:

(a) when i go to the crafter website, it only has pictures of those guitars, and no specs. that makes me extremely cynical, as if the spec were good, they'd have it plastered all over the website.

(b) it's "cruiser by crafter", i.e. a cheaper off-brand of the same company as they don't want their cheaper instruments to detract from the main brand name- fender do it with squier, gibson with epiphone, etc. etc. It's not a guarantee of its being crap (i.e. some squiers and epiphones are good), but it certainly makes you stop and think, especially when crafter aren't even a high-end brand (i don't think) in the first place.

(c) if i can remember correctly, you used to be able to get that model from argos. that alone means that it's probably a starter instrument, not to mention a pretty poor starter instrument, considering you can't try it first if you buy from argos.

(d) its shape, as you've correctly identified, is different from the normal- the problem is, generally this costs more money... and at a limited budget, you want as much of your money as possible to be going into the wood, hardware, electronics etc., not fancy shapes. I know that fancy shapes are cool (if you're into that type of thing), but on a limited budget you often have to choose between a good guitar in a boring shape or a crap guitar in a cool shape...

(e) I assume you read good things about it in reviews? I wouldn't trust reviews, it's a beginner guitar, and odds are more reviewers are beginners too who haven't tried anything any better...

so, er, yeah. As i said, I haven't tried it, but for those reasons (and probably a few I've forgotten), I'd be very, very wary. if you can try one, that'd be best. but you'd need to try e.g. that pacifica i mentioned too, and some other guitars at a similar price...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe try a Peavy vypyr amp, they have lots of variety so you can experimant with lots of styles and for $450 around £350 i think, you can get a 60W tube version! For a guitar i'd say ibanez has some nice ones!
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic