Okay, so ... I'm a bit of a noob bassist, like three days ... however, the bass that I currently have is a piece of shit! It plays horrible, sounds horrible and is just complete crap except the look... anyway, I want to get a new bass and a bass amp (because I dont have one XD) ... I have about 300 English Pounds (600 dollars roughly) and I would like a decent bass that wont screw up all the time and a amp that has nice tone and we will be heard above guitar, drums and vocals... possibley be even used for small gigs!

Influences: The Red Hot Chili Peppers, HIM, My Chemical Romance, Metallica, The Misfits, Ramones, Rancid, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Sex Pistols etc.

P.S. No Jazz basses!
You could struggle to get a decent loud amp and bass at that price range. However, take a look in the faq, theres a good guide to basses and amps there.

My personal opinion on the bass front would be a GSR 200, though im a bit biased on that front as its the only bass ive played for the past half a year (ive played some other basses before the too). But its very comfortable and has a decent range of tones. Generaly they cost about £180, but if you have a look around you can find one for about £150. I can't really comment on the amp front, as i use a stagg, which while cheap, probably wont have much in the way of versatility. That said, i know a bassist in a friends band who uses a Nikki Sixx epiphone thunderbird through the same model of 20 Watt Stagg amp, and amazingly it doesnt sound as bad as i thought it would, but he still got drowned out a bit by the drums, so id look at over and including 30 Watts for bass amps. And no Behringers, ive not had a good experience with a behringer yet.

Just ot of interest, what bass do you have just now?
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Last edited by twowheels at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by twowheels
Amp wise you could struggle to get a decent loud amp and bass at that price range. However, take a look in the faq, theres a good guide to basses and amps there.

My personal opinion on the bass front would be a GSR 200, though im a bit biased on that front as its the only bass ive played for the past half a year (ive played some other basses before the too). But its very comfortable and has a decent range of tones. Generaly they cost about £180, but if you have a look around you can find one for about £150. I can't really comment on the amp front, as i use a stagg, which while cheap, probably wont have much in the way of versatility. That said, i know a bassist in a friends band who uses a Nikki Sixx epiphone thunderbird through the same model of 20 Watt Stagg amp, and amazingly it doesnt sound as bad as i thought it would, but he still got drowned out a bit by the drums, so id look at over and including 30 Watts for bass amps. And no Behringers, ive not had a good experience with a behringer yet.

Just ot of interest, what bass do you have just now?

its some bass with the brand name, "proguitar"...
Ok youll not get much for that price im going to say now to spend 200-all that money on a squire vm jazz or p your choice or a ibanez gsr. Then save up more and get an amp. youll nedd rougly 200 watts with pa as well to gig. !00 watts will do for practise but not for comfortable gigging. Unless of course youll always have good Pa support in which case i know one person who gets away with 50 watts. Id say an ashdown eb 15 to you.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Wait...you've been playing for three days and you want a new bass? What the hell is wrong with it?

I'd say get a good amp; In most cases a good amp can make a shitty bass sound halfway decent.
Quote by goest
Wait...you've been playing for three days and you want a new bass? What the hell is wrong with it?

I'd say get a good amp; In most cases a good amp can make a shitty bass sound halfway decent.

This. And why not jazz? Just curious.

Anyway, ibanez sr series are good, but maybe a little out of range. I'd say get a good amp, I play a crappy Dean with a decent ampeg combo and it's not half bad.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by goest

its not that ive been playing bass for threee days and i want a new one, its that the nut always buzzes (i knot it is fixable), the pickups are loose and sound really muddy, the neck isnt straight, whenever i do a slap solo it will go out of tune and it just feels horrible in general
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by samskii
This. And why not jazz? Just curious.

Anyway, ibanez sr series are good, but maybe a little out of range. I'd say get a good amp, I play a crappy Dean with a decent ampeg combo and it's not half bad.

not sure, i just have something against jazz basses ...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
its not that ive been playing bass for threee days and i want a new one, its that the nut always buzzes (i knot it is fixable), the pickups are loose and sound really muddy, the neck isnt straight, whenever i do a slap solo it will go out of tune and it just feels horrible in general

Then take it to a shop and get it set up. Don't go buying a new bass for something that is completely fixable.

Also, don't double post.
and dont be biased against jazz basses, first try and one and see how it is, jazzes are great for slap and have a thin neck so you could love it for all you know
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
and dont be biased against jazz basses, first try and one and see how it is, jazzes are great for slap and have a thin neck so you could love it for all you know

i will most likely like it, i will try some anyway ... im going to mansons tomorrow in exter with some friends (apparently a kickass shop) so i will be looking at diferant basses.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by goest
Then take it to a shop and get it set up. Don't go buying a new bass for something that is completely fixable.

Also, don't double post.

it maybe completely fixable but i dont want the bass tbh ... i also forgot to mention the electronics are ****ed.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
it maybe completely fixable but i dont want the bass tbh ... i also forgot to mention the electronics are ****ed.

Do you have pictures? And don't be a guitar n00b. Everyone gets a POS as their first instrument nowadays. It's best to learn on them, anyway. My first bass is actually my main bass, just because I've grown attached and because I know now I can beat the shit out of it.

Also, on a superstitious note, you never get rid of your first instrument. It's bad luck...

Another side note...stop double posting!
Quote by goest
Do you have pictures? And don't be a guitar n00b. Everyone gets a POS as their first instrument nowadays. It's best to learn on them, anyway. My first bass is actually my main bass, just because I've grown attached and because I know now I can beat the shit out of it.

Also, on a superstitious note, you never get rid of your first instrument. It's bad luck...

well here's the bass it does look sexy, i know lo
Attachments:
ProGuitar Bass.jpg
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Last edited by GangsterLi at Oct 24, 2008,
Doesn't look too bad. Nice use of GH stickers

What do you not like about it other than the already stated flaws?
Quote by goest
Doesn't look too bad. Nice use of GH stickers

What do you not like about it other than the already stated flaws?

thats it really, but i dont really like the feel of the neck but thats it ... im gonna go to the big music shop in exeter to see if i like anything better... im gna try an OLP and a few squiers ... but i will talk to the shopkeeper help me XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
thats it really, but i dont really like the feel of the neck but thats it ... im gonna go to the big music shop in exeter to see if i like anything better... im gna try an OLP and a few squiers ... but i will talk to the shopkeeper help me XD

Alright. I guess there's no deterring you. I would recommend trying out a few Jazzes, they're pretty epic. That or, my personal favorite, the Jaguar, just for lulz. That is, if they have one...

What is it about Jazzes that you don't like?
Quote by goest
Alright. I guess there's no deterring you. I would recommend trying out a few Jazzes, they're pretty epic. That or, my personal favorite, the Jaguar, just for lulz. That is, if they have one...

What is it about Jazzes that you don't like?

tbh, im not too sure ... its just one of those things, even they rock my socks off i dont think i could own one, they just get on my nerves ... like les pauls.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by goest

aww man im going to sell my first bass so i can get a new one
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by GangsterLi
whenever i do a slap solo....

You've been playing bass three days and you are doing slap solo's?

I put it to you that your technique is the issue here, not the bass. And if it is the bass, then a set-up from a store will cure it all.

Three days...new bass.. pah!
^he does have a really good point there
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
3 days?!

I waited three years for a new bass XD

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
3 days?!

I waited three years for a new bass XD

These kids, they dont know they're born!!
Quote by Applehead
These kids, they dont know they're born!!

Tis the trials and tribulations of a disposable youth, alas!!

TS. My suggestion is that you give your current bass a good setup live and then work with it for a few months. As much as you don't want to hear this, its your technique right now that is probably more the cause of your frustration than your bass itself.

And Jon, I waited 15 years for my second bass
Quote by Applehead
You've been playing bass three days and you are doing slap solo's?

I put it to you that your technique is the issue here, not the bass. And if it is the bass, then a set-up from a store will cure it all.

Three days...new bass.. pah!

actually, I can slap properly, i used to play guitar and newton faulkner songs contain slapping in them so i learned how to for that... so dont tell me whats wrong when you have no idea what you are talking about
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by anarkee
Tis the trials and tribulations of a disposable youth, alas!!

TS. My suggestion is that you give your current bass a good setup live and then work with it for a few months. As much as you don't want to hear this, its your technique right now that is probably more the cause of your frustration than your bass itself.

And Jon, I waited 15 years for my second bass

im not frustrated with it and i know for a fact its not my technique
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
actually, I can slap properly, i used to play guitar and newton faulkner songs contain slapping in them so i learned how to for that... so dont tell me whats wrong when you have no idea what you are talking about

Guitar Techniques =/= Bass Techniques.

And for the record he does know what he's talking about.

"You want the truth, you can't handle the truth"
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by Captain Insano
Guitar Techniques =/= Bass Techniques.

And for the record he does know what he's talking about.

"You want the truth, you can't handle the truth"

lol

what does =/= mean
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Double post TS--please use the edit button.

I play both guitar and bass. I've been playing guitar for three decades (yes you read that right) and bass seriously for about 3, though I've played it on and off for about 16.

Guitar technique does not always cross over to bass technique. We come into the instrument with a handicap of all these guitar techniques that we think will cross seamlessly into our new instrument. The result is that we develop all sorts of odd and bad techniques/habits that can hinder us and our sound.

I'm sure your not going to be pleased to hear that--none of us are. But for 99% of the guitarists who take up bass who I've met in my travels, its true. Just something to ponder on.
Quote by GangsterLi
lol

what does =/= mean

Not equal.

I'm willing to bet you have your thumb over the fretboard, that why you think it plays bad.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by Captain Insano
Not equal.

o ok

but why would slapping (apparently wrong ) make my bass go out of tune? i dont think that has anything to do with my techniuque at all
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
im not frustrated with it and i know for a fact its not my technique

What technique?! You've been playing three days !! You have no technique mate!

I would go to the shop, see what they can do with your bass. If its really that bad, and they say the same thing then buy a new one. If they can fix it, then you've saved yourself 300 quid that you can buy an amp with.

Quote by GangsterLi
but why would slapping (apparently wrong ) make my bass go out of tune? i dont think that has anything to do with my techniuque at all

Why would it make your bass go out of tune? Er, how about because you are yanking strings away from the body of the bass. The less refined your technique is, the harder you are popping the strings, the more the bass goes out of tune.

Dont listen to me though, i have no idea what i am talking about.
Last edited by Applehead at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by Applehead
What technique?! You've been playing three days !! You have no technique mate!

I would go to the shop, see what they can do with your bass. If its really that bad, and they say the same thing then buy a new one. If they can fix it, then you've saved yourself 300 quid that you can buy an amp with.

Why would it make your bass go out of tune? Er, how about because you are yanking strings away from the body of the bass. The less refined your technique is, the harder you are popping the strings, the more the bass goes out of tune.

Dont listen to me though, i have no idea what i am talking about.

no, again, it says slapping not popping!
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Why not do like some one has already said, take it too the shop and see what they say, if they say it's screwed then get a new bass. however if they can fix it, then purchase new (better) tuning peg's, ask the shop to sort the nut out and the electronic's and maybe even replace the electronic's, then you'll have a bass that you like the look of and that play's nicely.. by the way i hated the neck on my bass when i first got it, now im getting use to it, it just feel's nataural. doing all that will cost some money, but you should have enough left for a practice amp!
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by GangsterLi
no, again, it says slapping not popping!

Still, banging the hell out of the strings will knock your bass out of tune. Hell, even just finger picking will begin de-tuning it. It's a normal thing.

Also, on the comedic side, Applehead WILL eat your soul, so just take note.
First off TS read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494268&highlight=slap

then read it again. You may also want to listen to Applehead's mp3 on his profile, btw.

Yes, slapping too hard or incorrectly can make a bass detune btw. And honestly, if you are just learning to play bass, I'd advise you get your fundamentals down before you start slapping anyway.

I've read all your posts and this is what I see. To use an analogy you are a new car driver who used to have a motorcycle and now has a car with some very minor issues. You are having issues shifting between gears in the car. Instead of taking the car in for a tune up and evaluating that you may be using the wrong method to get from 1st to 2nd gear, you are saying its the cars fault entirely and want to go out, spend a boatload of cash and buy a new car.

Does that seem right? Maybe to you, but not to me.
Quote by goest
Still, banging the hell out of the strings will knock your bass out of tune. Hell, even just finger picking will begin de-tuning it. It's a normal thing.

Also, on the comedic side, Applehead WILL eat your soul, so just take note.

He's lucky i am not hungry right now...

First off TS read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494268&highlight=slap

Wow, that takes me back !!

Might do some more lessons if people fancy them..
Last edited by Applehead at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by Applehead
He's lucky i am not hungry right now...

must... not... join...spam...

TS, you need to think rationally. if someone could slap perfect in 3 days, there would be a lot more bassists doing. I have been playing 2 years and I still have to correct mistakes a lot. like my fretting hand pinky, I always have it too straight when I'm playing. for slap, my pops are inconsistent when I slow down. you are making mistakes. you need someone to help you correct them.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
RBX? I have the same (minus the stickers) and have had problems too. Mine is around a year and a half old and there's various problems ; the pick-ups are poorly set up and the bridge is terrible
Lay off the slapping dude. work on those fingering exercises first buddy. If you develop bad techiniques now (which you will) they will be a pain in the arse to rectify later on. you will have to RE-learn it. From the start.

I'll add on Tam's example. Apart from wasting your money on that new cab, you are also building a house (your overall bass playing and musicianship). Now, to build a proper and safe house, one that is going to last, you need to have strong foundations. After three days, your foundations are as solid and strong as paper. However, instead of building on this and strengthening them, you have decided to build the rest of your house. And this has resulted in your house collapsing and causing you to believe you need a new cab. Focus on your house first my friend. Learn your theory, pratise your scales, and love your instrument.

Best of luck buddy

Sanity is not statistical