My band has good equipment (6505+ / Valveking) but when we practice, we sound like we have no definition, and there is a lot of unneeded noise and just sounds bad.

I know for a fact we are in a room too small, all the instruments are within 12ft of each other, so everything is loud and annoying.

My question is: what is the ideal practice environment, so all instruments can be heard separately and are present, but still be together. Simply, how do we get a good live sound and not just be noisy.

Our Practice Room:

Ideal Practice Room?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Oct 23, 2008,
im not entirely sure on this so someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that you don't want the soundwaves from the amps to cross each other, cause thats where you start to lose definition . so maybe try to angle the amps away from each other or line them up or something?. like i said im no expert but my band practice in a really small room too and that seems to make it sound better for us.
anybody else want to enlighten us with their experience?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
small rooms are fine. acoustic treatment might help though. this can be as simple as hanging some blankets on the wall and putting a rug on the floor, or it can cost £1000's. i recommend some blankets and such to see if that helps.

also, from the first picture, move the valveking into the top left of that picture. the bass amp can then go where the valveking was, next to the drummer. also, try turning down. I'm sure you'll say that you need to be that loud to get the sound you want, but just try it. turning down works wonders sometimes. and ask yourself, do you really need amazing tone when you practice your set? most likely not. its only your bandmates that are there (hopefully)

and what about the PA? do you have one set up in the room? where does it go?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
If it's any help, before every gig Metallica use a room they call the tuning room, and it's got barely any room to move in it, so I think it is... as Rob_b said, the soundwaves from the amps crossing each other.

just line them up and see how it improves
Quote by Perfection 101
Let's be honest... Choosing the worst member of Fall Out Boy is like choosing who you'd most like to be raped by
Quote by AndyPandy
small rooms are fine. acoustic treatment might help though. this can be as simple as hanging some blankets on the wall and putting a rug on the floor, or it can cost £1000's. i recommend some blankets and such to see if that helps.

also, from the first picture, move the valveking into the top left of that picture. the bass amp can then go where the valveking was, next to the drummer. also, try turning down. I'm sure you'll say that you need to be that loud to get the sound you want, but just try it. turning down works wonders sometimes. and ask yourself, do you really need amazing tone when you practice your set? most likely not. its only your bandmates that are there (hopefully)

and what about the PA? do you have one set up in the room? where does it go?

The room is a bedroom, so the sound control is fine, no echo.

We don't turn up all too loud, I mean.. loud enough so the amps are in proportion to the drums.

We have no singer yet, so no PA.

Quote by billweiser
If it's any help, before every gig Metallica use a room they call the tuning room, and it's got barely any room to move in it, so I think it is... as Rob_b said, the soundwaves from the amps crossing each other.

just line them up and see how it improves

So instead of facing inwards towards the drums, they should just face even with the back wall the drums are against. thx
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
So from what I'm gathering, it should look something like this?

Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I think you should turn the amps in the other direction. You don't wanna blow all the air against the drummer. They don't like.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
you mean against the wall?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
These diagrams have provided my lol for the day. I congratulate you touji-za-nai
I dont know if you guys wear em or not, but try earplugs. They cut out excessive noise allowing you to hear what should be heard and also save your ears the punishment and are just overall are pretty smart to wear when playing at high volumes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Horlicks
These diagrams have provided my lol for the day. I congratulate you touji-za-nai

in exchange some helpful advice?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by LaidBack
I dont know if you guys wear em or not, but try earplugs. They cut out excessive noise allowing you to hear what should be heard and also save your ears the punishment and are just overall are pretty smart to wear when playing at high volumes.

Any kind in particular? I'm sure most would just muffle everything, and some would just help enough to cut out the extra noise.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
you mean against the wall?

Yeah, I think. Just try different positions out and hear out what you guys like the best. That's the best way to find out.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard