Alright so I've already scouted round but I didn't find what I was looking for
I'm looking to swap from Actives (EMG 81/60) to Passives
Now I already know a bit about pick ups and guitars themselves cause I do all my own work, but I'm still not sure what I need
I know obviously the pick ups, new mono input jack and new pots
But are actives earthed? Do i need new wire when i unsolder all the old wires? Where the hell do I buy new wire from if I need it? How do I earth it? Do I need a new resistor on the tone pot?
No rush in the response to this but, I know you guys are all quick anyway
Thanks!
I believe that actives are still earthed. You probably won't need a wire. Open up your guitar and see!

Also, resistor on the tone pot? I always thought it was a capacitor..?
Quote by death_obeyer
Alright so I've already scouted round but I didn't find what I was looking for
I'm looking to swap from Actives (EMG 81/60) to Passives
Now I already know a bit about pick ups and guitars themselves cause I do all my own work, but I'm still not sure what I need
I know obviously the pick ups, new mono input jack and new pots
But are actives earthed? Do i need new wire when i unsolder all the old wires? Where the hell do I buy new wire from if I need it? How do I earth it? Do I need a new resistor on the tone pot?
No rush in the response to this but, I know you guys are all quick anyway
Thanks!

Some active pickup modules are not grounded to the bridge. Get 16 gauge shielded wire. You will need to replace everything except the jack. You can rewire it. Use the old wire again if you aren't going to keep the circuit intact.
you'll need a different capacitor as well. I usually a .01 micro ferad capacitor for passives. Hopefully I'll be doing that tonight!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
man this is a lot lol
guess i'll keep the old wires, it's just i was always under the impression the more they were soldered and stuff the crapper they got so i was a bit =/
i should be gettin the guitar next year, hence why i said no rush in the response so when i get it ill just check the wiring out, it might just click to me or somethin
now all i need to do is find some cheap spares...
Quote by Fingerboy18
You will need to replace everything except the jack. You can rewire it.

If he's going to sell the actives it's best to buy a new mono jack and let the stereo jack go with the pickups so the buyer will have everything they need to install them.
nah im not sellin em or anything
i've got another guitar they can go on already
it's just, i want a new main, thats better than anything i own at the min, and it comes with EMG's (LTD ex400 if your wondering) and i'm not big on EMGs, so they will go in one of my guitars i dont use as often
I'm gonna go all out and get an icebucker set for my new ex