I bought a used Fender blues junior amp. It's an older green board made in like 96 or so. Sounds pretty good down low. When I turn it up I get a strange sound when I strike the open A string, (or Low E on the 5th fret). It plays the note but it also sounds like some sort of fuzz as well. I don't think it's a cabinet rattle as it seems to come from the speaker and as the note gets softer it eventually cleans up suddenly.

I just replaced all of the tubes with Groove tubes from GC. I didn't notice the sound pre-tube change, but post tube change was the first time the family was out and I could crank it. I guess I'll try putting the old tubes back in to see if it still happens.

Any suggestions?
Oh and by fuzz I don't mean good fuzz or even distortion. The sound seems to almost be separate from the note played, but seems to come from the speaker. I am sure this description won't come through like I intend, but it's hard to explain.
And for the hat trick if there is a better forum for asking this question I am all ears.

Thanks!!
I am reasonably certain the tubes are seated properly. *NEWB ALERT* There is only one way to insert them, correct? I will try the old tubes and reseating the new ones.
Yes they only go in one way. Make sure then are in all the way. Is the cabinet loose at all? Is the amp tight to the cabinet?
i think the blues junior is prone to rattle at high volumes or something...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^good points

and you're sure it is not fret buzz either - sometimes you can get some funky harmonics that mess with the speaker via frequency - especially at higher volumes

This.

It sounds like it could be cone cry.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
try a different guitar. like said, might be sympathetic resonance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_resonance

and the stock speaker on my old blues junior used to make buzz noises all the time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I only have one guitar right now, a MIM Strat. I don't think it's fret buzz, I know what that sounds like. The sound I am talking about is more a static type sound.

The cabinet does rattle, but that's not the same sound. I'll put the old tube back in in a few minutes and report back.
Well I changed out the preamp tubes to the old ones. Noise still there, but reduced. I will try the power amp tubes when it cools back down. Old tubes say "fender" on them, not sure if they are original or not.
Supereri, did you resolve your problem?

The reason that I ask is because I have a Fender Blues Junior NOS Edition (Better speaker is the only difference) that I purchased this past summer, and it has the EXACT same problem. I know exactly what you're talking about.

For me, I get it only under certain conditions. Reverb is turned on, and I'm usually playing on the G or B string at about the 9th fret.

I'm using stock tubes, so that could be the problem. I also have yet to check and see if all the screws are tightened down.

I know amps pose a severe electric shock risk (like instant death). Do I have to worry about this when tightening screws?

Also, if I want to put in better quality tubes, what should I buy? I'm completely oblivious when it comes to knowledge about tubes.
Posted this in another thread...meant to post it here
-------------------------------------------------------------
FYI, when I Received the Amp, the little tube farthest to the right fell out when I turned it right side up. I'm thinking that it could have damaged the tube.

I've heard that Power Tubes get too hot to touch, but the Pre-Amp tubes can be touched. Which tubes are preamp and which are power? I'd like to touch them while the rattle is being made to see if it's a tube.
I have a BJ Tweed NOS and it seems that the output tubes are really loose and causing intermittent connections and crackling noises. It can be heard when fairly cranked and holding a chord. (At first I thought it was a cable or pot) I notice it does it more on some chords and positions than others, due to the natural resonance of the cabinet and chassis.

Looking at the rear I can see one of the output tubes engaging and disengaging and when I wiggle it I can hear an improvement in the sound and fullness. Seems like a really poor design using two little springs in overly loose sockets to secure the output tubes, eh?

I have already had one tube almost go into meltdown, glowing a bright orange compared to the other tube. Installed a matched set of EL84's which seem to wiggle and sway with ease. I can visually see the "little blue flame" coming on and going out on one of the tubes when I move it around. Is this normal?
Any suggestions?
unknown if the colors are normal.

but i can tell you that after owning a blues jr. i also considered buying a tube support frame off of ebay.

i forget the exact name, but i was able to find them, so it couldnt be that hard.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by greglawrence
I have a BJ Tweed NOS and it seems that the output tubes are really loose and causing intermittent connections and crackling noises. Installed a matched set of EL84's which seem to wiggle and sway with ease. I can visually see the "little blue flame" coming on and going out on one of the tubes when I move it around. Is this normal?
Any suggestions?

I'd have it looked at. It sounds like either the tube has broken pins or the socket your inserting them into are somehow fu'ed up. They shouldn't wiggle, at least mine didn't on my bjr when I had one. They are naturally biased on the hot side from fender stock. If you can do it under the warranty great, otherwise consider having a tech check it over.