Right, so I have this problem. I've been playing for a year and bit now and recently I've really knuckled down with my technique and playing as an overall. I practise a minimum of 2 hours a day and the progress has been good.

However, whenever I do a scale-run or generally just play I get all these damned ringing out open strings. I don't know whether it's me or my guitar; I've taken it back to square one, I was practising at 40bpm to try and minimise these ring outs but no matter how lightly and slowly I practise I continue to get these ring outs.

It's incredible annoying because even though I sit down with my guitar for a lot of focused hours and I practise slowly and build it up slowly, my playing sounds like shit because of these ring outs.

So I'm asking for some help, is this normal? Am I practising incorrectly? Is it the action and/or relief on the guitar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
youve gotta learn to mute the strings youre not playing. you seem to be practising ok but thats what youve got to do.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Quote by aaciseric
Theres a chav revolution brewing in my area, hopefully my personal hygiene, sobriety, long hair and GnR albums can protect me for some time.
It is your technique, this is something I struggled with in the before time. You need to start focusing on a clean release with your fretting hand and susinct pick movements. It's totally normal, we've all been through it. Keep at it, practice hard and you will succeed.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Thank you all very much.

That video was incredibly helpful, thank you so much
Quote by melkIII
Thank you all very much.

That video was incredibly helpful, thank you so much

While you're at it watch the rest of Freepower's videos, he's a good teacher.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.