See, It may seem noobish, but a friend of mine mentioned somethink about humbuckers, and I always tought humbuckers where pickups of this shape:

and I'm sure the guitar he mentioned had pickups like these:

I didn't get into a discussion with my friend, because I didn't want to seem nooby...

so,
1) what is a humbucker pickup? does it have anything to do with shape or something?
2) is there a difference between the pickups and what's the difference between the pickups in pic 1 and pic 2?
3) is my friend wrong and am I right?

Thanks
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
basically you're right...

but there are some humbucking pickups that are built to fit in a single coil size. they usually don't sound like a traditional humbucker though, and more like hot single coils.

he might have been talking about a guitar that had "hot rails" or even fender noiseless pickups.

check the FAQ sticky, it has plenty of information about the differences between single coil and humbucking pickups.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by user_name>_>
first one is humbucker second pic is a single

Could be a stacked humbucker (humbucker that fits in a single coil sized hole.) You can't tell just by looking at it.

T.S. Go over to Dizmario.com and do a little research.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
Could be a stacked humbucker (humbucker that fits in a single coil sized hole.) You can't tell just by looking at it.

ahh good point, then theres p- 90s that can fit in humbucker holes
Quote by jb_designs

You mean like this one?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
nah, that's a humbucker with a cover on it. did you read the FAQ??
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
nope, but it's ok, it's been cleared out, turns out the guitar ge mentioned had humbuckers after all sorry for the trouble, and thanks a lot!!!!

W
No like the Area 54, which looks like the second pic in the op. That's a covered humbucker.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.