my friend came up with theis idea of heartbeat inlays. it would "jump" everywhere theres supposed to be a dot. in between it would flatline(for 1 fret) at the 12th fret it would jump almost all the way across the neck. he was thinking red but i was thinking green for the color. is there anybody who knows if this is possible and if so a price range would be helpful. and also could u use a clear acrillic/plexiglass type inlay material and just put LEDs behind it? any help would be greatful. this is just an idea we're tossing around and we just wanted to know if its possible. thanks for ur help!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I have no idea how much it would cost, I'd just like to say that's an AWESOME idea. I'm also pretty sure that you can use any material you want for inlays, provided it's hard enough.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

that is an amazing idea. if i ever build a guitar (which im sure i will at some point) im definitely stealing that idea
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
dude... Do it with lexan and have red LED's behind it that beat like a normal heart and have a pot on which you can increase or decrease the speed! That or it shines as the strings oscillate!

also.... anything is possible.... Where's perry when you need him???? lol

I'd also do it off to the side so as to not **** with the truss rod.
NO STEALING THIS IDEA!!!! my friend just txtd me and told me hes gona do it on his new SG that hes getting today(faded SG special that hes gona paint metallic teal.)

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Definitely possible, and that was of my secret inlay ideas hahah

i saw a video on youtbe of a guy who's inlays were co-ordinated with sound... it was sweeet.
------

Shwiggity.
Possible. Not a difficult inlay to do.

Screwing with LED's might make things a little more tricky though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
sick idea.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Just an FYI, I have seen heart beat inlays before

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It's called an Electrocardiogram, in case you were wondering.
Sounds like a cool idea. Put up pictures when you do it.
Dude, it would be soooooo effing cool if you made the leds come on and go down the whole things lighting it up as they go...
Man that'd be sweet.
no hes gona get it done by a skilled inlayer/luthier. and they couldnt even give give him a quote over the phone.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Other types of inlays not done yet... liquid filled designs or dots with or without things floating in them like sparkles, and googly eyes for the dots that shake around like the kids stickers, but they would have to be altered to fit flush on a fretboard.
Those kinda inlays have been done before.Check out Ibanez SZ series.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
actually, i don't think this would be too bad..

objective:

basically make an EKG? on the fretboard

i believe a dremel might work best here, correct me if I'm wrong, and start out routing/drilling before fingerboard goes on. The problem is, you can't take much wood out of the neck, in order for it to actually put up with hundreds of pounds of pressure coming from strings..

you'd have to design a circuit in which each LED lights up one at a time or smoething, over and over. I'm assuming that you want to run this off of a 9v. The current draw just might kill batteries if it ends up being like 350 mah..But yes, design a circuit using LED's, a potentiometer, and some way of making each LED light up at once, quick enough to look likes each one is moving, although they are stationary. This will also take quite a bit of LED's. You might get a few minutes out of one or two batteries, but not a 2 hour gig or something,.

correct me if I'm wrong..
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
The problem is, you can't take much wood out of the neck, in order for it to actually put up with hundreds of pounds of pressure coming from strings.

Well to put inlays in, you are taking wood out the fretboard, not the neck, and since the strings attach to the headstock not the fretboard, you dont have to worry too much about tension (which is 85.2 pounds for 9-42s at 25.5" standard tuning)

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
If hes gonna pay somebody to do this the cost will be more than a new gibson. Simple inlay work is expensive as in several hundred for just blocks like a LP. The frets would be in the way for this job. Probably have to take off the fretboard for the wires to the LEDs. And of course the electronics with controls and a place for the batts to go. The guys didnt give him a quote because they know its gonna be steep really steep and your friend will say screw that so to them a waste of their time to give a quote.
hes not gona put LEDs in it. hes just gona use red or green acrylic or plexiglas.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Just another idea, after you route out the channel for the inlay, grind up some MOP, put epoxy in the channel, and fill it with the ground MOP. Because it wont lay uniformly on the fretboard, the light will refract differently all across the inlay, which will make it sparkle. Pretty simple to do, in fact, it'll probably be easier than conventional inlaying. If I'm not mistaken, Ormsby did something similar on a bass he did(check his website).
For 11's, the pressure is about 20 pounds per string.

anyway, the refret will probably be the biggest pain in the butt of this inlay.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Tackleberry
Your first post post asked about LEDs under the inlay.

yeah but my freind decided not to use them. it would be too difficult.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Absent Mind
Just an FYI, I have seen heart beat inlays before

So have I, and they looked amazing, but I've never seen 'em with an LED behind 'em before.

EDIT: Here's where I saw 'em. Couldn't remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxartONEZVs
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
^ yeah thats the same guitar I saw them on over at sevenstring.org

f**king sweet guitar!

His cover of bleed is AMAZING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY-FG-hj7zU&feature=related

/hijack

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976