Ok i am a guitarist of a death metal band. i write all the songs because no one else knows how to write songs in the band and the problem is i have trouble. it takes a long time to make one and i never know what to do next. does anyone have any advice at all?
Listen to your favourite bands, know what you like and what you want to play live. Then, learn some theory, apply it in a song.
how is that hard to write songs? maybe you should actually get everyone to practice/play as fpr song structure, just go with what feels right, surely you have some riffs you've written, find some in the same key and string em together at the very least
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
i write death metal and it takes me a while as well. i think it's the with most death metal song writers. death metal has quite complex songs, lots of short notes, odd time sigs that sort of stuff.
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
If they're havin you do all the work, then the answer is since they're being lazy, they have to wait for you to do it when you can.

/thread.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
i can relate, the other guitarist in my band can write 10 riffs before i can get one, now excuse me for sounding selfish, but the ones i write are 10 times better than his. i usually just sit down and fiddle around with a few notes and try to make them sound in a good order, then i decide whether or not to make them cords, notes, trem picked, etc. dont try to copy a certain style of music or a certain pattern, just play what you enjoy and thats all that matters, dont get pigeonholded into a writing a certain way just because that is the kind of music you like.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
the easiest riffs to write are power-chords and tremolo pickings. I would go for them combined with alternate harmonics for a good outro/main riff sound. easy going sweeps are good for the intro. or if you're too lazy, just use the first choice for most of the song, with slight technique variations in the middle, like in the song Pull the Plug by Death, which is a good example, as it's made by the (in my view) best and most influntial death metal band.
Quote by jimmyled
the easiest riffs to write are power-chords and tremolo pickings. I would go for them combined with alternate harmonics for a good outro/main riff sound. easy going sweeps are good for the intro. or if you're too lazy, just use the first choice for most of the song, with slight technique variations in the middle, like in the song Pull the Plug by Death, which is a good example, as it's made by the (in my view) best and most influntial death metal band.

if your writing death metal, NEVER use power cords on anything other than the lowest string, this isnt metalcore
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
never use power chords on any other string than the lowest? .... what?. Listen to Death. Listen to Death. ok?
I'm writing lots of what I consider to be my own take of death metal lately, and it all boils down to your influence. If you wanna write death metal, listen to death metal, and learn death metal. All I've been listening to and playing and learning is Death for a couple months, and it's coming through in my playing SOO much, you might impress yourself if you really indulge in your influence. The only way you can learn to write a style is to have experience with it.. so just listen, play and learn more... and the most important part is to take what you've learned and write your own stuff with it. A whole lotta stuff
Quote by shadowsoldier08
if your writing death metal, NEVER use power cords on anything other than the lowest string, this isnt metalcore

fail, so incredibly fail

don't listen to this, remember you don't have to write death metal to appeal to this guy and what HE thinks death metal is. you write it to what you think it is
^ maybe he was joking?

I hope he was
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
listen to death metal music and get inspired by it

when I want to write a song, many times I think about cool sections of other songs and I try to write something similar to that
Not really sure how you go about it, but I all I ever do is come up with riffs and stuff when I practice alone and usually my other guitarist can expand on them and because we have good chemistry we can write a whole song in about ten minutes, usually from improv.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
tune your guitar down to lowest tuning possible. Then tune it lower. Then play power chords really, really fast and have the singern scream something about satan eating bunnies or something....
Quote by stupidhurts666
tune your guitar down to lowest tuning possible. Then tune it lower. Then play power chords really, really fast and have the singern scream something about satan eating bunnies or something....

I hope you're joking too.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
listen to the bands that first started playin death metal (death, possessed, cannibal corpse) and go through the timeline of how the genre has evolved and created sub-genres- melodic death metal, blackened death metal, brutal death metal, etc