Poll Options
View poll results: Are you for or against walmart
Good
93 43%
Bad
124 57%
Voters: 217.
Page 1 of 4
In my economics class, we are discussing how walmart affects our economy, and what it does for communities. Some view this mega store giant as a great positive, and others a negative.

Facts about Walmart:
-It has the second largest computer system in the world(second to NASA)
-It contibutes a 2% to America's GNP (that is huge for one company)
-it is 5x larger than its biggest competitor, Home Depot

I thought that this would be a cool thing for the pit to discuss. All opinions welcome
The Conservative youth of America!
evil cuz they went overboard on the release of the ACDC cd.

good because now i get to go to the mens section and play rockband.

Or the electronics section to play guitar hero.
Quote by metalscott76
In my economics class, we are discussing how walmart affects our economy, and what it does for communities. Some view this mega store giant as a great positive, and others a negative.

Facts about Walmart:
-It has the second largest computer system in the world(second to NASA)
-It contibutes a 2% to America's GNP (that is huge for one company)
-it is 5x larger than its biggest competitor, Home Depot

I thought that this would be a cool thing for the pit to discuss. All opinions welcome

Obvious positive!
It's not like people hate low prices anyway
Theres nothing to suggest it's evil, just that it's run by very clever businessmen.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Bad because they don't allow people to join a union, a basic employment right and the deprivation of this right affects employment conditions for everyone.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I hate low prices!

edit: It also amuses me that the poll asks if we are for or against Wal-Mart and the choices are "Good" and "Bad"
Last edited by DardoBoy at Oct 23, 2008,
the negative side is that its becoming a natural monopoly and that it drives competition out of business.
The Conservative youth of America!
they might run small businesses out of town, they may pay their workers terribly, and they may have some slightly shady business practices, but they have pretty damn good prices.

so i dont mind them.
it's evil.

i'm poor.

you see my dilemma?
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
The evil is created by the people who allow it to become a conglomerate powerhouse, as it is.

The consumer.

So no, Walmart isn't good or evil. It's simply what customers allow it to be.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Bad for competition, good for consumers.

Bad for workers.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
as long as they keep their low prices, i have no problem with them.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I personally love Wal-Mart =]

Although.. working as a stock/carry out at a small family grocery store, I can't imagine unloading the truck at walmart =S
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Wal-Mart is good because it's obvious that they're products are really cheap.

But they are also bad because they are putting all of the family owned business out of business.

Good because they also have nearly anything you could want there.

But also bad cause they have no real competition.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Bad for workers.

They can choose to work somewhere else, it's not like they give their employees really bad conditions anyways. There is a health insurance plan and stock shares and whatnot for full-time employees.
they could be killing babies, and no one would care, as long as they can save 3 bucks on toilet paper...
Quote by which ones pink
Wal-Mart blows. I shop at Fred Meyer.

This guy wins because he's got Byakuya in his avatar.

And also becuase Fred Meyer is, in fact, better than Walmart.

And I don't care about statistics, so don't post them.

If Dave Mustaine says GHS is better "Becuase I said so"

Then I say Fred Meyer is better too.

And it is - GHS CANT SELL ME HOT POCKETS! I GOTTA EAT!

DON'T SHOUT AT ME!
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by blackflag49
they could be killing babies, and no one would care, as long as they can save 3 bucks on toilet paper...
They probably do...

It's evil.

They treat their workers like shit and don't give them benefits, they sell sweatshop goods, shut down small businesses, and the list goes on and on.

I'd much rather pay more for good service, and to support mom and pop.

http://walmartwatch.com/
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Oct 23, 2008,
They aren't good. In Jonquière, near my hometown, Wal-Mart closed their store there because the employees wanted to make a union there. They all lost their jobs.

I will never set a foot there.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Godsmack_IV
They can choose to work somewhere else, it's not like they give their employees really bad conditions anyways. There is a health insurance plan and stock shares and whatnot for full-time employees.
First of all in minimum wage jobs such as Wal Mart the employees seldom have any other viable option.

Secondly i don;t just mean the workers working for them, I mean workers everywhere. Any company that refuses to allow workers to organise (ignoring the fact that the employers themselves are organised) damages the rights of workers everywhere, rights won through the sweat blood and tears of workers everywhere.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by blackflag49

claudio sanchez can cut the throats of babies but walmart cant?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
First of all in minimum wage jobs such as Wal Mart the employees seldom have any other viable option.

Secondly i don;t just mean the workers working for them, I mean workers everywhere. Any company that refuses to allow workers to organise (ignoring the fact that the employers themselves are organised) damages the rights of workers everywhere, rights won through the sweat blood and tears of workers everywhere.

And what rights are these?

By the way, Wal-Mart is a business company not a charity; no businesses are required to let their employees unionize.
Yeah Wallmart are just as alright as any other big corporation, they provide cheap products, all kinds of them, they provide jobs . . . . . . what more do you want? I small businesses can't compete then tough shit get over it, should we eliminate competetion now?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Walmart = evil.

/thread
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
just gay
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
i like target better but they do have low prices and thats enought for me even if there's issues with competition their workers and union.
Quote by Waterboy799
as long as they keep their low prices, i have no problem with them.

Ignorance.
Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Those praising Walmart clearly never saw the South Park episode

or too ignorant to know of the benefits of unionisation... but i do think britain took it a bit too far with the unions in the 80s pahaha but thatcher did need a slap
Quote by DespisedIcon
Good because they don't want their workers to join an union.
What?

Unions are a good thing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
they engage in strongarm union busting, that by itself is enogh for me to consider them bad.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^

I always have respect for forward thinking Americans who think like that, particularly as your union history is a bit more shady than ours.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
And what rights are these?

Think of any employment right (the right not to be dismissed unfairly, the right to as safe a workplace as possible). They were all put in place and are maintained by the trade union movement. if that movement disappears then so will those rights as the employers unions will steadily erode them.
Some examples, from the top of my head, are:
39 Hour working week
Holidays
Minimum wage
Unfair dismissals laws
Equality of employment laws
Health and Safety
Terms and conditions of employment
Pension scheme
overtime pay
yearly pay rises

There is also the fact that being in a union means that you can't be bullied by your employer. If you're not in a union and your employer doesn't pay you or dismisses you unfairly then you have no recourse. Sure, you can hire a lawyer but so can he, and he has the advantage of having money. If you're in a union you will have an official who will act as your lawyer, and will be far better at employment legislation than any lawyer (my father has never lost a case and has outsmarted the best barristers in the country. he has no legal training, he just does this specific area of the law all the time so he knows everything about it). Employers are much less likely to push you around if your in a union.

By the way, Wal-Mart is a business company not a charity; no businesses are required to let their employees unionize.
I never said they were a charity. it is of no detriment to them to allow their workers to organise. If they play by the rules then they will have no problem. The only reason they could have is that they don't want to obey the laws.

By the way in many countries Employers ARE required to allow their employees to join a union.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 23, 2008,
It's great! Who would I steal from if my local Wal-Mart wasn't around?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
Page 1 of 4