Page 1 of 3
My sister just dropped my LP-lookalike and split the neck on it under the fretboard

So what do I do? tape? burn it? new neck? smash it more? buy a new SG GT WITH straplocks fix\mod the one I got? (there is quite a few types of glue that will hold just about anything)

Ideas? Comments? Is there no f**** way that I will find new necks that will fit a "Woodrock LP"?(yeh I know ) Or are all LP necks the same deal?

yep Im a noob!
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
welll..
1) take it to a guitar shop and see what they can do
or...
2) say "screw it", sell it for spares and buy a new guitar
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Yes - you should put tape on your guitar neck to hold it together. Because you're brilliant. What a great idea. I'd do that. Definately.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
1 - loosen the truss rod and put the neck under tension
2 - inject some glue into the crack
3 - clamp it tight, until the glue fully cures.

if that doesn't fix it, new guitar. i doubt that one is worth the price of a new neck. it will probably cost more than another whole guitar of the same make and model.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by strat0blaster
Yes - you should put tape on your guitar neck to hold it together. Because you're brilliant. What a great idea. I'd do that. Definately.

Yes...yes I will and right after that I will get me one of them there nobel prizes....
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
1 - loosen the truss rod and put the neck under tension
2 - inject some glue into the crack
3 - clamp it tight, until the glue fully cures.

if that doesn't fix it, new guitar. i doubt that one is worth the price of a new neck. it will probably cost more than another whole guitar of the same make and model.

You know what the funny thing is? http://gitarhuset.no/ProductPage.aspx?PID=1708

this is the one they are selling now... and its WAY cooler than the one ive got mine is black....just black.
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
thats actually a pretty nice looking guitar, minus the bottom part of the pickguard (looks like a ball sack)
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by 666-JoE-666
welll..
1) take it to a guitar shop and see what they can do
or...
2) say "screw it", sell it for spares and buy a new guitar

If its worth doing at all I will atempt it myself. Guts or glory!

edit... or "half ass"
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Last edited by blogz at Oct 24, 2008,
the testicularity of that pickguard is obscene.

remove that and mod'er a little and it'd be a decent axe :P

SYK knows what's up. listen to him. he knows all.
------

Shwiggity.
pics plox
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
you should:

1) have one of your sisters hot friends hook you up... if you know what i mean
and
2) do what SYK said. I'd do the exact same thing because it's the right thing to do.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
whats the crack like? post some pics! ive got an idea for a solution but it really depends what the crack is like... so ya. or try and explain. i might have ya covered on this one
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by deftonesordie
the testicularity of that pickguard is obscene.
Quote by Invader Jim
That's one nutty-looking pickguard...

pickguard = balls?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
it does kind of resemble something of the lance armstrong kind... only one hanging ball with a little something missing on the left...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^hahahahahahahahaha i knew somthin like that was comin'.....

do what SYK said....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
You should send it to me for the price of shipping because it's worthless. Or get it fixed which will probably cost as much as the guitar if you have it done by a luthier it's possible to do it yourself though.
Quote by jordanzio
whats the crack like? post some pics! ive got an idea for a solution but it really depends what the crack is like... so ya. or try and explain. i might have ya covered on this one

I might post some pics. But im at work ATM so I will try to explain.

Imagine a LP loosening from the front strapnut. IT falls clockwise to my concrete floor. The headstock gets the whole smack and tears off the fingerboard from the neck. The fingerboard is, by the looks of it, just fine. But the "strucktual" part og the neck has come apart fron the fingerboard and have also teared a rift from the fretboard and to the center of the back of the neck.

(a little note) this felt weird! its like reading up my own autopsy....
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I will now post pictures of the carnage:

with a little imagination you can see the fretboard is no longer part og the guitar.

And there it is from the other side. The split has startet to travel over to the other side.

IM starting to think, pic the damn thing apart. glue the shit together. sand off the cracked paintjob on the neck and make an attempt to put a new one back on. What type of lacker is used? Arent "handjuice" one of the nastiest substances to corrode or etch into the wood an destroy the hole damn thing?
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
GET THE F*KING STRINGS OFF OF THAT THING DUDE!!!

the longer the string tension is on it the more it's going to ruin the neck.

Do what SYK said. you have to find a way to get tension on the neck to hold the crack open and just full the ever living hell out of it with titebond original and hold it together with clamps overnight.

if it's a cheapo guitar it's probably a polyurethane finish. just glue it, sand the general area and touch it up with some spray bombs

ok heres what you do. use GORILLA GLUE (this glue is absolutely insane) and fill whatever you can of the crack with it. clamp it down for about 24 hours so you let it dry fully (the glue is stronger than wood so you should have no problems when this is done). one it is dry sand the area on the outside of the crack so there is no glue left over. after that you can spray on your lacquer. but seriously use gorilla glue... its the most extreme glue ever.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
okay okay okay OKAAAAAAAY!... the strings are off. I also separated the neck from the body... a decapitation... and have the problem claire before me.
I smell the stench of fail in the air...

I will have to do what nuthinbuttrubl8 linked to, to get glue behind the fretboard. The sadle is still glued to the neck itself so when i bend it slightly the fretboard levels out with the sadle at one point. There are crakling sounds
There is one splinter that comes out underneath the neck (where my 4fingers are bendt around 74% of the time I use the thing) that will have to either get back in where it belongs or smoothend out.
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
more pictures. better pictures. don't do anything rash. let me see what you've got so far.

my camera sucks
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
your camera is made of suck. get better pics. turn on macro if you're going to take up close pictures

Do you happen to have a Sony Ericsson?

And yeah...we may need higher quality pictures.
Quote by Duval67
Do you happen to have a Sony Ericsson?

And yeah...we may need higher quality pictures.

Yes yes I do

macro is on ,but nothing good comes from it. I will try with a real camera later today.
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
http://projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm

sorry for double post... ^ go there

dude that last pic makes it look like nothing ever happened to that neck
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS

Better?

Edit I suck at posting pictures

Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
how does it play with the crack? if it plays well, leave it be. otherwise pull off each and every part and sell them on ebay. you'll make a nice bundle on the parts.
Do not use gorilla glue. That shit might be able to patch your humvee back together after you drive over a landmine, but it is not for guitars.

In my experience, anyway.

(One time I saw a guy do a neck repair with gorilla glue, then he out 2 wood screws in his LP neck! It shrunk my testicles for a couple days. They were afraid. Here it is.)

Do what SYK says, he knows his stuff.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
can u give us pics of the neck?
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Well Ive made my desition: I pry the crack open. Fill it up with tec7 glue(glues everything holds everything and so on.....) Calmp the sadle and the fretboard down on the neck again.

Sanded off some of the polyurethane "paintjob" and are not sure how to fix it afterwards

My attepmt anyhow
Gibson SG faded
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I'd recommend Titebond Original wood glue. That's what I used when my LP's headstock broke completely off. Its held up fine for almost a year now I think. I put up a thread about it awhile ago...I just recently deleted all the pictures though.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Page 1 of 3