Hey Guys, I've been seriously considering building a guitar and at this point I'm not sure if I want to start from scratch or go to a build kit.

Any suggestions for someone who's never built a guitar together, much less has many tools to work with
if its ur first time and u aint got many tools id say kit. but if u realy wana be unique and dont mind some hard work then go totally custom.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
it's physically impossible to fit in aguitar, i'm sorry to say.

haha

don't buy a kit. they are poo. not worth it.
------

Shwiggity.
Well price wise, how much do you think it would get cost me? Assume I have all the tools needed. And assume I'm aiming for a rather good kit that isn't crap.

Quote by deftonesordie
it's physically impossible to fit in aguitar, i'm sorry to say.

That honestly made me laugh.
If i where you i'd do a Kit first, Just to try out and kind of practice on it.

so you know it in theory and in practice.
That way you possibly cant go wrong.
I'd say start from scratch.
You don't learn much from kits tbh...

What tools do you have access to?
You'll need a type of sander (Orbital, palm sander, belt sander), a bandsaw, planes, chisels, files and alot of sandpaper.
It's more fun building one yourself too!

I'd buy some scrap wood along with your normal wood so you can build a practice body and a practice neck.
Hope it goes well
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
The practice body is a very good idea.

Currently I'm not exactly sure but I do know we have a sander of some kind. We have something like a band saw that you can hold [forgive me if I sound ignorant when I say that] i know we have chisels, but everything else I'm not too sure.
Where was the list of essential tools for building a guitar? We had a post like that. Where'd it go?
a jigsaw?
They CAN work, but they're sorta difficult and don't do as clean a job but if you leave yourself abit of room so you can sand down, you'll be fine!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
I assume it'd be a jigsaw we use it but it didn't feel like it'd be able to cut that fine of line. Even then, how do I get that curved body of a les paul? Could anyone help me?
lets see tools.....

a jigsaw CAN work but be prepared to sand a LOT and go really slow.

A really accurate square is a must!

lots of files and rasps.

Belt sanders are amazing as well as orbital sanders

Routers are almost definitely needed for the truss rod. You can get away using a dremel with a mount....

a drill or preferably a drill press

lots of sandpaper

tons of clamps, large and small

metal files and pliers for fret wire

Those are the bare minimum... correct me if I am wrong
^yeah that pretty much nails it...

oh...radius block for the fretboard! (or a pre-radiused fretboard)

no kit!
u dont build the guitar in a kit, per say. u more of assemble it and paint it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Any help is much appreciated. If you guys honestly think It'd be better to start from scratch then from a pre-built guitar to maybe get a better sound or a better playability I'll go for it.
build it yourself. those kits are shit. Make a practice guitar though. Plywood and poplar. Do as much as you can. Trust me, I wish I did! then my current guitar would be a shitload better! Do a bolt on, with minimum of two piece neck.
Quote by ChrisL120
Well price wise, how much do you think it would get cost me? Assume I have all the tools needed. And assume I'm aiming for a rather good kit that isn't crap.

i mad my guitar from scratch over the summer (i bought the neck). ran me about 400 bucks. I made it in about 2 weeks of solid building. you need a REALLY ventilated space for the paint though.
Quote by ChrisL120
Hey Guys, I've been seriously considering building a guitar and at this point I'm not sure if I want to start from scratch or go to a build kit.

Neither, the amount of questions, which are usually very stupid, you obviously don't know enough about guitars. Its great your getting into guitar building but you need to do much more research, and when you have a few questions ASK THEM IN ONE THREAD, do not make 50.
No i just think it's funny that a 14 year old is bossing someone who's two years older them him around.
with all the strat parts on ebay, just buy parts and go from there.

this way you can build it and play it before christmas.
and if you still want to build from lumber, you can interchange the parts from your 1st build to the parts you make from lumber and still have something to play as you go.

if you want to learn about wood & paint, buy a strat body and make some custom cuts & repaint it etc

good luck