So, my problem comes from the combination of dynamics and a more overdriven tone.

I have no problem doing dynamics when I'm playing 100% clean through my amp, but as soon as I add a bit more drive and the sound saturates I find it extremely difficult to control the dynamics. Playing forte is easy enough but if I start playing more piano I reach a point where I can hear a softer note, but when I play it I get more pickscrape than anything.

Is there any specific attack or picking trick that could give aid me with this? Thank you. =)
Generally if I'm playing softly I tend to flatten the pick out a ot more so it's much closer to being parallel to the strings instead of angled like I normally do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you're probably using too much distortion.
you can also lower the volume on the guitar. but other than that, i can't see another way. i've tried too
You could try adding in some finger picking. Just use your middle finger for it.
We're only strays.
you're probably using too much distortion.

Definitely not, I hardly ever use distortion (partly because my amp doesn't sound great and partly because I don't play much distorted stuff) but lately I've just been messing around with it and I don't have much problem with it except for dynamics.

As for the middle finger idea, I'll check it out.
Quote by Confusius
Definitely not, I hardly ever use distortion (partly because my amp doesn't sound great and partly because I don't play much distorted stuff) but lately I've just been messing around with it and I don't have much problem with it except for dynamics.

As for the middle finger idea, I'll check it out.

Well if you're not used to playing with gain then you are aware that gain doesn't respond in the same way to dynamic changes as clean sounds do. In theory the sound should stay roughly the same volume but clean up, however it doesn't always work quite so well with low quality sources of gain like cheap amps and pedals.

Sorry if I seem patronizing but I really don't mean to be, I just don't know what you know.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i've found that playing with any kind of gain/distortion to get better dynamics i use the same kind that i do while playing cleanly, except a little more exaggerated. for softer more subtle lines i'll use very very soft pick attacks.
Quote by tapitin
Maybe look into getting the Boss Dyna Drive DN-2? I've never used it, but here's a demo of it on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLN-2kPZPg

It's supposed to respond really well to picking dynamics.

It responds to dynamics about as well as my Boss DS-1 and Line6 Uber Metal, it's not worth the extra money.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
What Satriani does alot is when playing lines he turn the volume knob on the guitar a bit down so he can produce better dynamics.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Well if you're not used to playing with gain then you are aware that gain doesn't respond in the same way to dynamic changes as clean sounds do. In theory the sound should stay roughly the same volume but clean up, however it doesn't always work quite so well with low quality sources of gain like cheap amps and pedals.

Sorry if I seem patronizing but I really don't mean to be, I just don't know what you know.

Nah, you're not patronizing at all.

My gear is fairly terrible, but I've always been one to think that trying to blame your gear for something you can't do is an easy way out and even though having better gear might help I am pretty sure that my playing is also quite involved.
Quote by Confusius
Nah, you're not patronizing at all.

My gear is fairly terrible, but I've always been one to think that trying to blame your gear for something you can't do is an easy way out and even though having better gear might help I am pretty sure that my playing is also quite involved.

Well if you have good control over the dynamics while you're playing clean then I suspect that your gear may be the deciding factor in this situation; usually I'm the first to cry "technique not gear" in similar situations but I'm quite willing to make an exception this time

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Also, keep in mind high gain, high distortion, high compression ... while they all make
a strong effect on tone, REDUCES the amount of dynamics you get from the
string vibrating. Playing "clean" actually gives you the most dynamics. At the
extreme side, most of what you can do with "dynamics" is limited to muting.
Roll back the tone knob before anything...esp. if you are playing something real fast on the low strings...and esp. for tapping. After that, roll back your gain...and after that id try some noise suppression...
Quote by CelestialChaos
Tube amps and passive pick-ups are the most sensative to dynamics.

Cheaper gear just doesn't pick it up as well. Or active pick ups. haha

Yeah my amp responds really well to lighter picking, almost like a violin at times because you get practically no pick attack sound coming through. Most of the stuff I play requires a bit of distortions though so it may just be that I am used to controlling it?
Quote by Louisifer
Roll back the tone knob before anything...esp. if you are playing something real fast on the low strings...and esp. for tapping. After that, roll back your gain...and after that id try some noise suppression...

Ummm...no? Seriously, why would you roll your tone off for better dynamic response?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I think the better question would be why add noise supression...that would pretty much ruin any dynamics you tried to do.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Check out some of Paul Gilberts instructionals. He talks quite a bit about using different picking dynamics and he is very good at it. I agree with CelestialChaos...tube amps definetely respond a whole lot better to dynamics than solid state. This is a point I usually raise when the solid state vs tube amp debate rears its ugly head lol
Andy
Quote by edg
It seems to me a lot of Jazz guys favor SS -- I wouldn't say they're not interested in
dynamics. The main thing with tubes is driving them. SS just doesn't break up
naturally worth a damn.

True SS amps are favoured for clean tones (JC120 ) but generally SS gain doesn't respond to dynamics in the same way as tubes do. And yes, SS amps are not good with natural breakup...to say the least.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
Yeah my amp responds really well to lighter picking, almost like a violin at times

My amp does this, too, and it's solid state.

I'm a solid state supporter, and it's definately possible to get a wide range of dynamics out of one. It just takes a little experimentation--varying the volume, tone, using fingerpicking techniques, having control over gain, etc.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
My amp does this, too, and it's solid state.

I'm a solid state supporter, and it's definately possible to get a wide range of dynamics out of one. It just takes a little experimentation--varying the volume, tone, using fingerpicking techniques, having control over gain, etc.

I'm not talking about just a normal clean tone, i'm talking about picking the string soft and no sound comes out of the amp, then picking the same string hard without changing your config and getting a booming sound coming out ie. dynamics. I also have a solid state and i don't get anywhere near as much freedom with it. It's almost like SS is digital either on or off, wheras tube is more analogue. That's how i think anyway