I spend lots of time trying to learn how to shred. I haven't been playing for 2 years so i can't really shred ( well not clean). My picking is ok but not crazy fast and my legato is pretty good. I was wondering what is more important to practice legato or speed picking.. Is it better to just only pick for speed or legato?? or both?? what should i practice more for speed picking or legato??
i do both, just play it slow then play it gradually faster if you have a metronome it helps a lot then after you get the picking down good you wont need it any more
i know you've probably heard it 100s of times but practice is key haha
Gear:
IBANEZ RG2550EX
Orange Rocker 30
Peavey Ultra Plus (lights up)
Quote by Relno
I spend lots of time trying to learn how to shred. I haven't been playing for 2 years so i can't really shred ( well not clean). My picking is ok but not crazy fast and my legato is pretty good. I was wondering what is more important to practice legato or speed picking.. Is it better to just only pick for speed or legato?? or both?? what should i practice more for speed picking or legato??

Practice them both, in any given situation the choice between the two should (to a point) be purely tonal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Relno
thanks for the help guys. I really like your music zap. good feel

High praise indeed, thank you
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Where and when to use them is totally a style thing. That, and technical considerations - for example, you can play certain things with tapping (an extension of legato), which are not possible to pick.

In my opinion to be a well rounded rock guitarist, you can need a good command of both. These are real foundational building blocks of a guitarist. If you have good legato, alt picking, rhythm, bending and vibrato you've got all the tools you need to do some serious damage.