Page 1 of 2
I just found a 5150 for 500$ USD on my local Craigslist, and I've been kind of considering one. I only need it for practicing in home right now, but will hopefully be able to gig one day. I play from Pantera to Death Metal-ish stuff, to thrash metal. I would like moderately decent cleans, so how are they?

Would it be overly loud and useless at low volumes? I currently have a Peavey MicroCube and a Jackson DX10D Dinky. I was considering a Peavey Vypr but I just found this.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
It can really quiet, quiet enough to play at home. And the gain sounds really good and the cleans are actually suprising good. But it definitely sounds better loud.
500 get it now or send me the link ill get it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
This is way better than anything else you're considering - it would be the highest-end piece of gear you have, to be honest - that's a good price. It's not unheard of to find one at $500, I've seen one occassionally, but it's rare, so if you feel good about the condition then I'd jump. Also, I used to re-tube everything as soon as I'd get my hands on a new/traded amp, but lately I've been lazy and stuck with what's already in there, and I haven't run into problems accordingly, so you can postpone that investment awhile.
Depends on how cleanly you can play. If you're a sloppy player you will probably have the gain up more than normal and it will be rather noisy. If you're a really clean player you can turn the gain knob down thus making a quieter amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
cleans aren't perfect but they do well enough
it can get you all the metal you want
goes quiet enough
jump on it now or you'll regret it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
If I get it I could probably resell it later as well, right? If I grow tired of it, that is..

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

He is also selling an Ibanez JS1000 for 1000USD. Is that a rare guitar or something? The amp and the guitar are both 10+ yrs old

It can get so quiet, you actually won't be able to hear it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
It can get so quiet, you actually won't be able to hear it.

When it is turned off? Sarcasm?

Will it sound good at low volumes was my question.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
5150's sound good at low volumes be can be a bit fizzy. Also a re-tube can fix the fizzy issue. But she really starts to shine at about 3.

ow loud would 3 be? Heard to the neighbors loud, or a cranked 5 watt solid state loud?

Quote by Pinky19
ow loud would 3 be? Heard to the neighbors loud, or a cranked 5 watt solid state loud?

3 is usually pushin it for bedroom playing. You can hear my setup at 3 outside through sound proofing and its a brick house. But it would be hard pressed to make it into the neighbors house that is brick and 30 feet away. Most bedroom guys like myself keep it at 1.5-2 which is fine for bedroom playing. Now roomates or family members might think 2 is too loud. It depends on your household really.
Are you kidding, pushing it? 3 is rattling my entire upstairs. I play it below 1 and it is too loud. Hence the reason I am selling it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Sweaty Balls
It can really quiet, quiet enough to play at home. And the gain sounds really good and the cleans are actually suprising good. But it definitely sounds better loud.

Any amp can get quiet. However, the 5150 sounds like utter dog vomit at low volumes...but once you push it (well beyond any normal household volume) it sounds awesome. For practice this thing is a no-no IMO.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
a guy i know has one and says he can get a really nice tone even at low volumes
and this is a great deal
if you have to, get a weber mass, or resell
seriously tho go for it
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by dcdossett65
Are you kidding, pushing it? 3 is rattling my entire upstairs. I play it below 1 and it is too loud. Hence the reason I am selling it.

Thus the reason I stated it depends on your household. Not all houses are built the same. I can take my amps to 4 with the bedroom door closed and its only as loud as a tv in the living room so its still household friendly. So no it is not pushing it, if you live in a decently build house, now if your in an apartment or so forth yea 3 is loud I never said it wasnt.
Does it sound bad at 2 and under? Should I just pass this up?

Quote by dcdossett65

Really depends on how high the resonance is. If you have a good amount of bass and resonance cranked, people die.... if you have the resonance cut back then it's not nearly as powerful.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Pinky19
Does it sound bad at 2 and under? Should I just pass this up?

Doesn't sound bad, it's just not going to be optimal. Actually the gain structure that 5150's, Mark IV's, Kranks and other amps with the sizzly gain, not the chunky gain, sound great at low volumes.

FOr $500 thats a good deal. GO FOR IT!

btw, what part of WV are you in, I'm going to college at Concord!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
With a tube change I thought the 5150 was one of the best sounding high gain amps at low volumes.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
buy it if its not what your after sell it for profit $500 is a good deal!
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Quote by MESAexplorer
Doesn't sound bad, it's just not going to be optimal. Actually the gain structure that 5150's, Mark IV's, Kranks and other amps with the sizzly gain, not the chunky gain, sound great at low volumes.

FOr $500 thats a good deal. GO FOR IT!

btw, what part of WV are you in, I'm going to college at Concord!

Lincoln County.

Do you have Xbox Live? I have a group of people who get on and play if you do.

And I listed my favorite bands, so do you think it would work at lower volumes?

Loads of bands use the 5150's for metal and stuff. They're good amps, ESPECIALLY for $500.

Don't have xbox live anymore, might be getting a 360 for xmas though. I'll hit you up then!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Dude...Get it. Then do what I did. When I was living with room mates, I completely covered my room in acoustic padding and cranked the shit out of my mesa.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I'm not doubting that they are good, that is a given. How is it when they are turned down is my problem.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good clip/video of one turned down low?

Quote by chrisa123
Dude...Get it. Then do what I did. When I was living with room mates, I completely covered my room in acoustic padding and cranked the shit out of my mesa.

How much was that padding?

Quote by Pinky19
I'm not doubting that they are good, that is a given. How is it when they are turned down is my problem.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good clip/video of one turned down low?

Hit up your local music store and give one a shot. Also like already stated they are one of the best low volume amps you will find for metal. If you want better your looking at double to triple the costs. Only other amp that compares budget wise is a Peavey Ultra or Triple which are a bit smoother at lower volumes but there not as raw sounding unless you mod them to be raw. Hell you might like one of them better, best thing to do is really test drive a few.

And I put up some garage foam mats over my window and they were cheap and effective as well. Theres lots of cheap sound proofing options out there.

Heres a pic of the soundproofing over the window. Also an example of a low volume rig. All of the recordings on my profile are with the volume set at 1.5-2

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Hit up your local music store and give one a shot. Also like already stated they are one of the best low volume amps you will find for metal. If you want better your looking at double to triple the costs. Only other amp that compares budget wise is a Peavey Ultra or Triple which are a bit smoother at lower volumes but there not as raw sounding unless you mod them to be raw. Hell you might like one of them better, best thing to do is really test drive a few.

And I put up some garage foam mats over my window and they were cheap and effective as well. Theres lots of cheap sound proofing options out there.

Heres a pic of the soundproofing over the window. Also an example of a low volume rig. All of the recordings on my profile are with the volume set at 1.5-2

Most I could get would be a 6505, the Ultras and Triple X's are non existent here.

Quote by Pinky19
Most I could get would be a 6505, the Ultras and Triple X's are non existent here.

Then I would pick it up, if you want metal and tube there is no way around it. The good thing is your not playing classic rock so you dont have to crank it to 8 to get the tone you want. So you will be pleased with it at low volumes if not sell it and get something else. And like you stated your options are pretty much shot and this is the only amp you can get that sounds good at low volumes on your budget or in your area.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Then I would pick it up, if you want metal and tube there is no way around it. The good thing is your not playing classic rock so you dont have to crank it to 8 to get the tone you want. So you will be pleased with it at low volumes if not sell it and get something else. And like you stated your options are pretty much shot and this is the only amp you can get that sounds good at low volumes on your budget or in your area.

So at the volume this would still beat the Peavey Vypyr or something similar? A new amp would also motivate me to play more, and I guess for 500$ I could always resell it for 600$ and make a lil bit of money for free, eh?

What does that stuff on your windows do? Just overall dampen it, or just stop it from escaping through the windows? I live in a brick house, my neighbors are a good 200 ft away and in even better brick houses, and my parents are leaving me alone more and more often so it won't always be at low volumes.

Would the dummy jack trick work to make this better as well? What about headphones? Even possible with this amp?

(I'm sorry for asking so many questions, it's just how I am)

Quote by Pinky19
So at the volume this would still beat the Peavey Vypyr or something similar? A new amp would also motivate me to play more, and I guess for 500$ I could always resell it for 600$ and make a lil bit of money for free, eh?

What does that stuff on your windows do? Just overall dampen it, or just stop it from escaping through the windows? I live in a brick house, my neighbors are a good 200 ft away and in even better brick houses, and my parents are leaving me alone more and more often so it won't always be at low volumes.

Would the dummy jack trick work to make this better as well? What about headphones? Even possible with this amp?

(I'm sorry for asking so many questions, it's just how I am)

Yes it would be better but not as versatile. So if you like metal 95% of the time then the 5150 is the amp for you.

Just keeps the sound in and gives it something to bounce off of so it dampens it a bit.

Haven't tried the dummy jack thing with a 5150 might work might not.

Hey questions are good man, a new amp is a investment you should never take lightly. You can always pm me with any questions as well.
I just talked to him and he said: I’m selling because it just doesn’t get played much. I have three kids now and when I get the chance to pick up a guitar it’s usually just my acoustic. There are no problems with it, cosmetic or otherwise. It’s never had tubes, not been played enough to need them. This thing is good for playing in the house and just gets better the louder you crank it up. The crunch this thing makes is so sweet. I can’t stand the thought of it not cranking it out all the time. I think the price is pretty fair but your welcome to make an offer. I live in ****** and work in ***** so the amp can be anywhere in between. Thanks for looking.
Andy.

What do you guys think?

Quote by Pinky19
It’s never had tubes, not been played enough to need them.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Pinky19

If it is anything like my Mesa Mark IV, and considering the 5150 is higher watt, when it actually starts to get "that" crystal clear gain tone you hear on albums, then you will be able to hear the amp beyond the neighbors houses (my GF let me know that she could hear every note I played beyond the neighbors house). It CAN play lower and sound good, but on gain it is kind of muddy comparitively.

I haven't played a 5150 myself, but have heard similar comments on it. Though EVERY tube amp I have ever owned and played sounds better when it is loud and when it has had a fair amount of warming up.
Quote by Pinky19
How much was that padding?

Not cheap, but you can make some fiberglass ones yourself if you look them up.
He said: It does get played regularly, just not whole lot. A few minutes here and there a few times a week. It’s plenty good at two or three. This is a great amp to do any of those styles. The rhythm and lead channels provide to powerful but different kinds of distortion. And you can adjust the levels of each down to where you even have a very clean sound. Plus it has the foot switch to change between channels.

I think my parents are convinced now. Go for it?

Page 1 of 2