I recently acquired my first decent guitar, a Fret-King Esprit III; a wonderful guitar, but not really MY tone. I didn't really have my head screwed on when I bought it, and I was given the hard sell not only by the shop dude, but by my OWN MOTHER. O_O
Long story short, I intend to change the pickups. Humbucking is almost a must, for squeally harmonics, but there's one catch. I probably wouldn't have much trouble deciding on a brdge or neck P90 replacement,but there's very little information about choosing a mddle pickup. Any suggestions, for any position?
My favourite tones are slightly high gain lead sounds like the Brown Sound or Satch's tone. Thanks for any ideas.

And, does stuffing a humbucker into a P90 or Minibucker affect the tone in a way that a good pickup won't rectify?
not on subject here, but I was looking at one of those in my local shop the other day, how does it play out of curiosity?

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Great 50s Gibson feel. Chunky neck and what I think are medium jumbo frets on it. Nice woody tone and resonance, with good sustain. It's a heavy beast, but balances well on a strap. If you're into fingerplaying, which I experiment with a touch, three tall P90s can get in your way, but oh well. Fingerpicking electric players aren't hugely common.

Action, fit and finish are marvellous from the off. I only had one problem, the jack socket was loose and was cutting of my connection. But it was easily fixed. Otherwise, the only point I can think to mention is one from Guitarist magazine, that the finish is a bit overly glossy and thick. Not going to relic itself anytime soon, then.
Thanks Pig, I'm actually a Clawhammer Electric Player myself, I play a 3 'Bucker SG, and I love the shape of Firebirds, and haven't actually tried p90's

Thanks Again, i'll Probably Try it out

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
I recommend rather than cutting up a beautiful guitar to fit something in there, you get a humbucking soapbar pickup. I have the first one, it is not a real hot pickup, but I really like the tone from it (especially split on the clean channel). The second one seems more like what you are after which is also a good pickup. The last one is not really a humbucker, and I don't have much experience with it, but it says High Output.

I also recommend leaving a P90 in the neck position for a really thick rhythm sound.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP164-Deluxe-90-Soapbar-Pickup?sku=302401
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP154-Deluxe-Plus-Bridge-Soapbar-Pickup?sku=302400
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SJM3-QuarterPound-Jazzmaster-Pickup?sku=300054