hey im doing some recordings with my band on the weekend. i have an 8 channel mixer, and an SM57, 58, and some shit mics (about 4) that im going to use. basically, im using the Shures for the snare and the kick drum, which one should be used for which do you think? the snare mic i think i might use to also mic the hi-hat, and have a semi-decent mic on the other side of the kit, with 2 crappy mics for toms

anyway with this setup, what should go where? thanks!
The SM57 is better for both personally, the SM58 is mainly a vocal mic and the recording won't sound as tight because of it's polarity pattern (which is fairly wide whereas the SM57 is very focused)
The SM58 could work well inside the kick drum, but you'd be best off experimenting with different mics in different places
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Oct 23, 2008,
take the head off the 58, just don't drop it
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Basically, the best way to find this out would be to do some quick test recordings to find which mic has the better sound at a better placement. You can get rough recommendations, but we don't know what other gear you're using, what your room sounds like, what your drum kit sounds like. We also don't know what you consider to be a good sound, and what your taste in drum recordings is. For example, some people like a nice, soft, bassy kick, others a really tight, clicky kick drum sound.

Better if you experiment and find the sound that you find the best.
There is poetry in despair.
This ^

Aside from that... I would probably start with the 58 on kick and the 57 on snare, but as fridge says... YMMV.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
This ^
YMMV.

CT

Your Mother Makes Veal? What does that have to do with anything?
by the way, the biggest difference between the 58 and the 57 is the way they look, and the fact that the 58 has a bit of a built in pop-filter. The two mics are identical in pickup patterns, and sound.
Haha.... YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

From the Shure website...

"The SM58 and SM57 do use the same cartridge. The grill, though, does effect the frequency response to some extent. At a distance, the difference is probably not noticable. But at extremely close distances, the difference is noticeable. Due to the grill, a person's mouth can get closer to the diaphragm of an SM57, thus causing more proximity effect and increased bass when compared to the SM58.

Note that the cartridges are not interchangable because the mounting scheme is different for the two microphones.

The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of each microphone in a different acoustical environment. The distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for a closer miking position with a more pronounced proximity effect. The different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is also responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Basically the SM 58 is a 57 without the pop-filter head. The SM 58 gives a little boost in the mids, which is why a lot of vocalists like the way it sounds.

You say you have 4 mics, one 57 and one 58. The most important parts of the drum (assuming you're doing something along the lines of rock?) would be the kick and snare - I'd advise you to take off the head from the 58 (to make it a 57) and put one at the snare, the other in the kick. Hopefully the other 4 mics aren't hopeless, then you can use 2 as the overheads, one for hi-hat. The last one... you can decide.

Just my two cents.