I'm probably going to catch heck for asking this, but I was playing my first Boogie Dual Rectifier at GC a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with the HUGE, warm, luscious sound. The price tag was pretty high, so I went looking on Craig's List and found a dude selling an 8 month old D-Rec half-stack for $2200.

Having explained my new found affinity for the Boogie...I've been reading a lot about the Carvin V3 and how they have given the D-Rec a run for the money. The truth is...I can buy a brand new full V3 stack for the price of a used D-Rec half-stack. Like I said...I know I'm going to catch heck...and I'M NOT trolling...but I need to know what you think of the V3's before I drive to Sac and play one or throw down a couple grand on the Boogie. Any advice or observations would be greatly helpful. Thanks!!!
Last edited by jasonpaulboggs at Oct 23, 2008,
Never played a V3, all I can tell you is that you will never regret goin with a dual recto.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Ill 2nd the Dual Recto.

Throw an OD infront of it, theres nothing more orgasmic.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
I've actually played the V3, and its an ok amp.
IMO its a bit of a zombie. Its good, and its wayy easier to dial in, but its not gonna capture the life that a well dialed-in Boogie has.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
if you're going to buy a dual rectifier, go with a used Rectoverb, or Tremoverb, they're supposidly better than the newer Dual Recto's Mesa's been putting out.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
the V3 is pretty pathetic IMO.

get the rectoverb combo. it sounds better than the 3chan recto.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
i have a roadster, they sound like garbage trucks at low volume.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt

Is that a good or a bad thing
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
If you have the money go for a boogie,or something of that level.

The v3 is a great mid-range tube amp though.The head is like 800 or so new off carvins site.

Quote by RR787

You stole my avvie you RR-loving bastard!

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
  • Orange Dark Terror w/Laney Cab
  • Blackstar HT Soloist 60
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
Mesa Boogie...the Carvin is cheaper and offers great cleans, however I found the overdrive channels to be extremely weak and I wasn't particularly impressed with its build quality...
The Mesa. It will still be worth $2,200 in 10 years. Good gear is like money in the bank. Its easy to sell and can even go up in value over time = free.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 9, 2009,
Definately the Mesa!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Go with the Mesa Boogie. Every distortion tone I've heard from the V3 was just lifeless fizz.
If you have a tight budget....definitly the V3...

if your willing to dump that much money on an amp, the Mesa is the way to go
Dual Recto all the way, unless you're on a budget.
Then again you posted you're thinking about it so that's a non-issue, I suspect.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I have actually played both side by side (at a real volume too! none of this bedroom level crap) and the mesa won hands down.

depending on the generation of Dual Rec it is (multi-watt is newer. older ones need to take out tubes to go to 50w), the dual rec either annihilates (multi-watt generation) or very nearly annihilates the carvin. The older dual rec has a good clean channel, the newer one is a little bit better voiced. either way, the cleans and mid gains on the mesa a quite a bit better than the carvin. High gain isn't even a competition. the mesa sounds huge, mean and precise, while the carvin is a little fizzy and seems to get mushy at higher volumes
Hey guys, I think he made his mind up in the two and a half years it took you to respond.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Hey guys, I think he made his mind up in the two and a half years it took you to respond.

Kinda upset you beat me to it.
Quote by rjsmedo89
Quote by tr3nt

Is that a good or a bad thing

no hate on Boogies, but that's fucking hilarious.

Quote by Pink Muse

go figure
Jeez.. i really do dislike a forum necromancer. Nothing kills a forum faster.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?