Hey all,

I am looking to be purchasing a new amp sometime around Christmas (with a little help of some Christmas money ) as the amp I have right now doesn't cut it for playing with a drummer.

I am in 2 bands right now that are both in the writing process, so we're jamming but definitely cannot hear the bass. One is punk/alternative rock, the other is progressive metal.

What are some amps I should be looking at? How much wattage will I be needing? What size speakers etc.? The main concern here is getting over a drummer and still sounding okay, if not amazing.

Thanks in advanced,

Steve
well if your not gigging just jamming then u can just put like t-shirts over the drums or etc to quiet it down, if u dont wanna be too loud with it and still hear the bass a lil just an option
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
The Behringer Ultrabass series are pretty good. I currently own a 180 watt combo, and it works well while practicing with my band. They also make a 300 watt version that isn't much more expensive either.
Quote by dreams broken
well if your not gigging just jamming then u can just put like t-shirts over the drums or etc to quiet it down, if u dont wanna be too loud with it and still hear the bass a lil just an option

Or you could just use the volume?

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Kustom 200b

Youll hear talk of ashdowns, mags, etc too. I just love my kustom, so thats what Im goin with.

They make the same model in higher wattages, and also in a head/cab config
Quote by bombsquadjunky
The Behringer Ultrabass series are pretty good. I currently own a 180 watt combo, and it works well while practicing with my band. They also make a 300 watt version that isn't much more expensive either.

I haven't seen you post here before, so welcome from me, but we in the bass forum do not like Behringer. You could get a better amp for the money. Look into Carvin amps.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Get a used peavey 300w head @ a pawn shop, around $150.00. Build 3/4 " plywood cab w/ screws and glue, brand of speakers is up to you, but I'd put at least 6 in it. My bass player did this using the jack off an old combo. I ran a 50w Laney Pro Tube Lead head w/ Marshall 4x12 cab. Bass was never an issue after this. We played Blues,classic rock in bars, hard rock orig. @ other gigs, and the instruments and PA were plenty loud w/ heavy drummer. The bass rig total price was about 300.00. The cab was 5' tall, about 3' wide, 2 1/2' deep. I was amazed of the sound of this "jerry rig".
Carvin all the way! I purchased a Carvin BR 610 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it.
Quote by TooFast
I haven't seen you post here before, so welcome from me, but we in the bass forum do not like Behringer. You could get a better amp for the money. Look into Carvin amps.

Haha, yeah I'm new to the site, therefore had no idea. It was a Christmas present a couple years ago, and I'm possibly looking into getting maybe a Gallien Krueger or an Ampeg once I save up, but I certainly will look at Carvin amps, as I have been impressed with many of their other products.

EDIT: I see now what you mean about Carvin. Very high quality at very reasonable prices. Plus they're the only company I've ever seen to have customizable colors for their amps
Last edited by bombsquadjunky at Oct 23, 2008,
If I had $500 bucks, I would go attempt to cop a used Bassman 250/210.

Sound great, versatile, pretty loud.
Quote by Matt23134
Carvin all the way! I purchased a Carvin BR 610 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it.

I'd like to get an amp from them. Hell, I'd like to get a guitar or bass too. BR 610 looks awesome, I'd like a half stack or full stack though.

Quote by bombsquadjunky
Haha, yeah I'm new to the site, therefore had no idea. It was a Christmas present a couple years ago, and I'm possibly looking into getting maybe a Gallien Krueger or an Ampeg once I save up, but I certainly will look at Carvin amps, as I have been impressed with many of their other products.

Definitely check them out. More product for less money, usually.

Quote by Captain Insano
If I had $500 bucks, I would go attempt to cop a used Bassman 250/210.

Sound great, versatile, pretty loud.

I saw one of them at GC a few weeks ago used for $325!
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by bombsquadjunky

a couple years? it still works? lucky. they usually blow out within the year.

and 250 should do ya fine, if not 300 to be safe. how hard does our little drummer boy hit?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
a couple years? it still works? lucky. they usually blow out within the year.

Yeah I'm surprised too. All the reviews I've read since I got it said that they usually don't last that long.
I either lucked out, or have been cursed, and the latter is more likely since they really don't seem to be that great.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Thanks for the responses. I'll look into Carvin. What is a bassman?

Fender Bassman 250 watts, two 10 inch speakers with a tweeter.
The Bassman 250 is nice, but it isn't terribly loud. You'll be heard, but you'll want to be heard more. I have a Carvin BR610 and love it very much, but I don't know anything about the new neo ones. I dunno if they go lower than the older ones, and I don't know if you lose any warmth or anything. Plus now with the neos the amps are $700 bucks, probably more than you could stretch. But regardless, if you go Carvin, and you play a 5 string, get the BR615. The 610 does okay on the low E, it doesn't have a lot of subs on it, and when I go to drop D it starts to fart out a little. But once you get out of the subs,
What happened to Humanity and his Acoustic craze?

For a little more over 500 you can get an Acoustic 4 x 10 cab and a 200 watt head.
Quote by goest
What happened to Humanity and his Acoustic craze?

For a little more over 500 you can get an Acoustic 4 x 10 cab and a 200 watt head.

true. but I feel the true charm of Acoustic is in their combos, where the maximum money is saved.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
true. but I feel the true charm of Acoustic is in their combos, where the maximum money is saved.

Wouldn't know. I've never played one.
Quote by goest
Wouldn't know. I've never played one.

you really should. I find them to be superbargains.

I'd post a clip but my guitarist blew it out.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

You should also check out Warwick amps, they recently dropped in prices (in europe anyway, not sure about the rest of the world)
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by the humanity

Is he six feet under yet?
Quote by goest
Is he six feet under yet?

no. but when I go to get a new amp, that screwball is donating some money. he's a great rhythm guitarist, I'd be lost without him. at least I've found the one, right?

but anyways, I'd not get the Roland. I'd say go snooping them shops.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

they are super bargains they play extremely well for the money i just wish i didnt let my parents surprize me with an amp for christmas last year and go off and listen to what the guy at GC had to say
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I heard that around 300 watts is good for mid-sized gigs. My amp is 4 ohms = 450 watts, but if you read my thread, you could see I'm having a bit of a problem with it. D=
Quote by sam_ofzo
You should also check out Warwick amps, they recently dropped in prices (in europe anyway, not sure about the rest of the world)

I've seen those on a few sites for a fairly decent price as well, but was hesitant about looking into them as usually when a guitar/bass company makes amps as well, the amps are solid, but not the best, so I guess my question is how they sound. Are they nice, because you're right, they are a fairly decent price for the amount of power they have.
Quote by bombsquadjunky
I've seen those on a few sites for a fairly decent price as well, but was hesitant about looking into them as usually when a guitar/bass company makes amps as well, the amps are solid, but not the best, so I guess my question is how they sound. Are they nice, because you're right, they are a fairly decent price for the amount of power they have.

They're definatly not some crappy amps, made by a bass manufacturer.

They sound warm, deep and very clean, they have a great sound. I prefered my Warwick sweet 15.2 over an Ashdown mag combo.
Imo they're one of the best amp manufacturers, price-quality wise
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by sam_ofzo
They're definatly not some crappy amps, made by a bass manufacturer.

They sound warm, deep and very clean, they have a great sound. I prefered my Warwick sweet 15.2 over an Ashdown mag combo.
Imo they're one of the best amp manufacturers, price-quality wise

That's a relief to me at least knowing that they didn't just one day decide "Hey let's make amps now!"
Knowing that, I may seriously consider them.