Hi guys i recently got into gutiar im very unsure of how long ive been playing cause well i never stopped to count, but id say about 2-3 months, nearer the 2 month side, and so far i feel i have been progressing well, i can play quite a few of SOAD riffs and songs and i just today learnt how to pinch harmonic, so im just curious as to your opinion on how im progressing.

I understand its like impossible to say without hearing how i play but i mean techniques wise, being able to tremolo pick, pinch harmonic, effective palm muting etc. im i progressiong quickly or slowly or averagely? and where should i go from here

P.S. Still cant play chords well more barre chords but yea i dont like them too much power chords are all good though XD
you sound to be doing about as well as i was around that time. i'd definitely recommend doing more chords and acoustic stuff. i didn't, and now that i'm starting to, everything else is getting a lot better as well. other than that it looks like you're progressing pretty well. just keep practicing.
Hey man

I would say you are doing very well. based on what you have said, butmy question would be are you getting taught or are you self taught? Also what is the hardest SOAD song you have learnt (did you also learn the solos)? Barre Chords come wth practice , but they are very useful so keep going on 'em, particularly when yopu get into ohjter stuff like jazz or other rock that uses sus4 chords, Maj7s etc.
cheers for the comments guys appreciate it,
Hendrix to answer your questions, yes im teaching myself, the hardest song ive learnt hmm im not sure, i mean BYOB maybe or Radio Video, and ive learnt a few solo's but some soad songs dont have any as you may well know, but i think i could do with going at solos they probably help with finger speed and accuracy.

Any ways i should go about learning chords nicely?

thanks guys

Nemecys
Don't worry about it. As long as you play and practice, you progress, how fast doesn't matter. Just do what you enjoy and work at it and the skill will come on it's own.

As far as chords, just learn some basic open shapes and maybe some songs that utalize em. Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan, Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, Hey Joe by Hendrix, etc. The best way to learn them is to do em.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Learning to play chords, to change between them cleanly, and to be able to strum efficiently is actually something quite essential to playing any guitar. You should definitely learn to play them well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Slow down, you're skipping too far ahead and neglecting the basics. There's a lot of far more fundamental, core information and techniques that you need to get down before worrying about embellishments like pinch harmonics - there's no point worrying about fancying up your your playing with showboat tricks until you can actually play a bit.

Like everyone has said, it's not a race. There's a lot to learn on the guitar and it takes a long time, and it's ALL important no matter how trivial or biring it seems. The absolute worst thing you can do is go rushing ahead to the more "interesting" stuff without giving yourself a stable foundation to build on. Stop whatever it is you're doing now, go back to the beginning and get learning some chords.

The basics are your bread and butter, picking and fretting accurately and cleanly, playing in time, keeping both hands synchronised, being able to play and recognise chords etc. You'll simply never play guitar particularly well if that kind of stuff isn't up to scratch, however you can get by without ever knowing what a pinch harmonic is. You have to learn to play the guitar before you even contemplate worrying about getting "good".

As far as progression goes no, you're not progressing particuarly quickly - skimming over essential things isn't learning and you'll just end up with massive gaps in your knowledge that will be a lot harder to fill farther down the line than if you just learned the right things in the first place. You might be able to play a pinch harmonic but that's useless if you can't play anything else to go with it so sort your priorities out. Learning things fast isn't a priority, learning the right things properly is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 3, 2008,
Usually I find what Steven says completely well, dickish. But at this moment, I have to completely agree with him.

Slow down. Learn your basics, your chords are your very basic of basic thing you need to be able to do. Powerchords, while sound nice and are easy are not gonna give you that much knowledge and know how.

Without hearing you play all these songs and techniques I can't say if you are doing good. Especially if you are self taught. To you it may seem completely right. But to other guitarist you might be completely f**ked up!! You alternate picking may be lacking with upstrokes, you palm muting might not fit the song right, to heavy or light, unwanted string noise without proper muting techniques, pinch harmonics (really who cares about those at 2 months), tremolo you are probably completely off timing, are your hands completely synced up, am I hearing a thud before I hear the ringing of the note.

Like Steven said without your basics you are gonna hit a block very very quickly and be compeltely stuck and never get better. I've seen it. Just without being able to play chords you are making it to where you won't learn alot of songs.

Slow down man and don't give a sh!t what other's think. Enjoy your playing, learn the basics no matter if people say you suck cuase yu can't play uber fast or something stupid. Give it time and you will be at song level in no time.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Usually I find what Steven says completely well, dickish. But at this moment, I have to completely agree with him.

That's because I'm a dick
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd be surprised if you can do tremolo picking of 8th notes in time.

I think at this point you should concentrate a bit more on keeping time, learning how to figure out what key a song is in (practicing your "musical ear" basically).

Right now for me, I'm about 5 months or so in, maybe 6 months. I mostly concentrate on sight-reading on tabs (easy classical songs) with the musical duration note above it and keeping time. I also have a few general exercises on palm muting, barre chords, sweep picking, hammeron & pull-of and tremolo picking (currently trying to get my 8th notes down).

I ocassionaly from time to time do some scale improvising over some song or my dad (he plays piano) and I'll usually learn like a new song every week or every 2 weeks. I've been working on "Message in a Bottle" by Police and "The Day That Never Comes" by Metallica for last 3 weeks.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by steven seagull
That's because I'm a dick

Yep.....but usually right. I'll give ya that much dick
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
I'm often right I suppose, but I'm usually a dick about it

I just don't see the point in pussyfooting around issues, if there's an obvious answer to a problem then I'll give it no matter what the threadstarter wants to hear...and if I feel they're approaching somethng from completely the wrong angle or are looking for answers to the wrong problem then I'll put them straight.

Also I don't for one second want people to think I did everything right first time...I didn't, I was just as clueless as anyone. There's one or two things I figured out properly but a lot of things I messed up. I figured out the right way to do things after wasting time doing them the wrong way.

Generally, the more of a dick I am about something the more I cocked it up myself
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I know man, I'm just messing with ya. I enjoy reading your posts usually. They are to the point and don't get off topic like most do.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
cheers for the help guys i understand stevens points, i think ive been misguided by random people who have complimented me on my playing so i assume im soaring through everything ill go back and get chords down cheers