Okay, I need either a new guitar or a new amp for music like metallica, megadeth, van halen, and guns n roses, and i was wondering which one i should get. I have a blues junior with a distortion pedal, and a fender fsr strat with scn pickups(mim). Which would help more?
what distortion pedal do you have?
and how much money do you have to spend?
its a metal master, i think i got lucky with it, because i have played other ones and they are no where near as good. I really like this pedal, so i dont see that there is a need to get a new one.
and this time, i have much money to spend.
$600-$700
Hmm...how happy are you with the FSR? Because I've heard SCN pickups, and I really like them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...how happy are you with the FSR? Because I've heard SCN pickups, and I really like them.

yes, i love my strat and my pups, just not sure if they'll be able to pull of metal, even if its with a freaking monster high gain amp.
mmm.. it's a difficult... question

you should get a guitar with humbuckers though ((i think...) just having a distortion able to make some little sound... but get humbuckers!
Generally, your amp makes up the biggest portion of your tone.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Get a better distortion pedal, and a guitar with humbuckers.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by stratdud39
yes, i love my strat and my pups, just not sure if they'll be able to pull of metal, even if its with a freaking monster high gain amp.

Well, I bring my guitar(And my TS9. ) with me to shops all the time so I know how whatever I'm looking at will sound through my actual guitar rather than what they have there. Try bringing your strat and seeing how it sounds on hi-gain settings. If it sounds good, I'd recommend a Vox AD100VTH head (I've tried the combo version of this, it sounds great and has setting to cover almost all bases, from Jazz to Nu-metal.) with an Ibanez IS412C cab. That'll total about $650, leaving you $50 to spend on a little something extra, such as a much smaller amp to practice on.

If it doesn't go well with hi-gain, try a Vox AD30VT (The 30-watts in that thing sound much louder than 30. Trust me, I've tried pushing one to full power) and one of these;

Gibson Melody Maker - It's a Gibson, albeit a very low-end one, and personally I hate the unfinished neck.

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top - You'll have to get the clearance black model to get it within budget, but for the money these sound pretty good, I think.

Epiphone G-400 SG - If you think a Les Paul is too heavy, or that it's ugly, try this thing on. Slightly thinner sound unless your using the neck pickup, but I personally like the G-400 for the price.

Epiphone Explorer - Explorers are sexy. And their metal guitars it seems. Try one.

Epiphone Korina Flying V - Explorers are sexy. V's are sexier. Korina is also sexy. And finally, Korina has incredible sound.

PRS Mark Tremonti SE - PRS is an excellent brand, and this is an excellent guitar.

I know it was mainly Epi's, but their really the only brand besides Fender with decent instruments that'd keep you in-budget with the AD30VT, and if a strat with SCN pickups won't do hi-gain, odds are a regular MIM standard won't.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, I bring my guitar(And my TS9. ) with me to shops all the time so I know how whatever I'm looking at will sound through my actual guitar rather than what they have there. Try bringing your strat and seeing how it sounds on hi-gain settings. If it sounds good, I'd recommend a Vox AD100VTH head (I've tried the combo version of this, it sounds great and has setting to cover almost all bases, from Jazz to Nu-metal.) with an Ibanez IS412C cab. That'll total about $650, leaving you $50 to spend on a little something extra, such as a much smaller amp to practice on.

Imo, that's one of the worst things he can do. Ok, the ad's are ok amps, but with the money he has, he can do shit loads better. And the Ibanez cab is just wood and metal, just a black hole that sucks tone.
Buy yourself a Marshall. And maybe a Jackson guitar, they're usually pretty good. I have one, and it hasn't failed me yet.
Jackson DK2. HSS Strat pretty much, just thinner neck, different headstock name and shape, colors, and p'ups. The DK2 can pull of anything.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by stratdud39
i have much money to spend.
$600-$700

I would suggest putting a quality humbucker in the strat, convert it to an HSS set up. That should only cost around $140-160 total. IMO, a great HB pup at the bridge is crucial for metal. That leaves $500 for an amp. Now, if you sold the BJ you could have an additional $250-300. Now your looking at $500- $800 for an amp. Do you gig? Is this just for home practice? There are a ton of options in that range for what you play.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
AMP
AMP
AMP
AMP
AMP

Guitars are pretty and sexy, but amps have the last word (so to speak) on what you are playing sounds.

I bought a new git. a few months back, but I really wished I had used that money to buy a quality amp.

Oh well, now Im saving up for a quality amp....
Quote by gregs1020
I would suggest putting a quality humbucker in the strat, convert it to an HSS set up. That should only cost around $140-160 total. IMO, a great HB pup at the bridge is crucial for metal. That leaves $500 for an amp. Now, if you sold the BJ you could have an additional $250-300. Now your looking at $500- $800 for an amp. Do you gig? Is this just for home practice? There are a ton of options in that range for what you play.

im going to start gigging, and i was thinking maybe a randall rg50tc?
Although I don't have one yet, I tried the Vox Valvetronix 30w amp in my local store and it was ORGASMIC. I definitely suggest it.

And after playing one of the lower-end Marshalls in the store, I don't get all the hype about them. The overdrive channel sounds bad and even on the clean channel with my TS7 it sounds bad. Idk, maybe it was defective, but I don't get why everyone says they're so awesome.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P