Often when i pick up my guitar, the 3rd string is out of tune (flat), and when I tune it back up the string makes a ping noise. I think the sound is coming from near the nut or the tuning peg. Is Something broken or is there an easy fix? Also this string tends to go out of tune while I am playing much easier than others.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
How old are the strings? If the strings are fairly new, then the sound and out-of-tune-ness is expected, but if the strings are old, then the sound could be the string breaking. Also, the G string is usually the one that goes out of tune the most for some reason.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
the ping noise is the string slipping on the tuning peg. it's not a big deal, it just means that you didn't wrap it tightly enough around the peg when you put the string on.

if you want to fix it, you probably don't even need a new string. just rewind it.
I have the same problem, and i always have. I'm not sure what causes it but it's always that G string.
oh screw the newness. when you restring which you should at least once a month and come on dude its like five bucks and fifteen minutes but anyway just grab the string like you hold a pick and pull it up and down in the motion it moves with a fretted bend a few times to pull out the slack and let the string peg windings and ends settle in and it wont be a problem for more than five minutes. as for the problem youre talking about you need nut lube. its a specialized lube to make the string slide over the nut and string hangars if you have them. basically what can happen and what is happening to you judging from that ping you mentioned is to pull the string tighter to sharpen a flat string you increase the tension on the headstock side first. if there is resistance at the nut the tension increases on the headstock without pulling the fretboard side tighter because its binding a little on the nut. the ping is when the tension becomes too great on one side and the string pings as it equalizes. this can cause serious tuning stability problems because when you tune it the binding nut might be holding a little more tension on one side or another and with a bend or a tremolo bar depresion the string can equalize tensions or unequalize on either side of the nut making it go out of tune. if nut lube doesnt fix it you may need the nut filed or a new nut entirely.
Quote by SlashYourFug
the ping noise is the string slipping on the tuning peg. it's not a big deal, it just means that you didn't wrap it tightly enough around the peg when you put the string on.

if you want to fix it, you probably don't even need a new string. just rewind it.

not true refer to my previous comment.
Quote by GoDrex
you probably don't need any special lube - just get a pencil and rub the tip around in the string slot of the nut to get a bunch of the graphite powder in there. Try that first before you buy special nut lube or take it somewhere.

first nut lube is like three bucks. second nut lube is just a graphite lube ie. pencil lead lube. its just suspended in grease that makes it stay where you need it so it lasts longer and doesnt dirty the guitar.
Quote by GoDrex
you probably don't need any special lube - just get a pencil and rub the tip around in the string slot of the nut to get a bunch of the graphite powder in there. Try that first before you buy special nut lube or take it somewhere.

hah....

nut lube
Quote by GoDrex
ok - so while you run out to the store or order that stuff, I'll just take a pencil out of the drawer and be done with it. I've done it for years and it works.

i spent three dollars on nut lube it works and the tube has lasted me years as well. do you use car wax to clean it to avoid getting the right product too?
This problem has been happening for a while, i just got around to asking so its not how the string is wound, cuz it happens every time I restring. I think I'll try out that pencil graphite trick, I like the DIY route and theres no music stores near me (gah! come on Iowa city!) so I'd have to order. If the pencil doesn't do it maybe I'll order some though, thanks for the advice guys!
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok