I'm in a couple of bands, and alternatively play rhythm guitar and bass in both. In the next couple of months, we're going to be scheduling a few gigs, and start serious recording. The bass I have now is barely passable, but it sounds okay. It's a Peavey Fury 5-string. I also own a piece-of-junk Kustom Bass V(5) amp that some guy in a mobile-home gave to me, and so I've been using other people's amps for a while. We'd like to move the bandspace to my basement, and so I've been looking into drumsets, basses, amps and speakers.

I've got quite a bit saved up so money isn't the biggest issue, but I'd like the bass to be under $800 and the amp and speakers together to be under $1000.

I play everything from classical remakes, funk, and acoustic jams to reggae to progrock to the heaviest metal. I'd like something that I can get a good slapping tone out of, but I'd also like to get a really groovey, bassy, smooth tone.

So far I've looked at a lot of Ibanezes (my friend has an Ibanez bass, and it was $400. It blew away other $1000 basses I've played, so I'd like to stick to Ibanez), and have kind of decided on the SR535.

I've looked at several Genz-Benz setups, and am interested in the Gallien Krueger Backline 600/Goldline 4x10 stack, although it looks a bit gimmicky.

Any suggestions, advice, comments, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Like the other threads, I'm going to suggest Carvin for the amp. Since I'm a Fender fanboy, get a Jazz.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
get a Trace Eliot like this mebbe...
sexy amp
and that Ibanez is nice. go with that bad boy if you like it. try out a few other ones first, of course.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Carvin amps. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and upon looking into them, I've come to the conclusion that they are awesome. They're also fairly cheap too.
+1 on the jazz bass, the GK is ALRIGHT. you can probably find a better amp. if youre looking for power go with a hartke head and cab. they may not be the best for recording, but theyre damn fine for shows. lots of power. lots of sound. and about the jazz bass aim for a deluxe active mexican jazz bass (about 6-700 dollars i believe) great bass.
Quote by the humanity
get a Trace Eliot like this mebbe...
sexy amp
and that Ibanez is nice. go with that bad boy if you like it. try out a few other ones first, of course.

The specs look amazing on that little thing.

Has anyone else tried it? If so, share your experience! Give both pros and cons, though, because I'm really looking into that one, now.. And I know the local store has some to try, as well.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
I love Trace Elliots. Too expensive for me at the moment though. I'd get cab/head configuration though.
EDIT: Just seems like too much power for one 15" speaker.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Actually, the Carvin SBX210 looks absolutely perfect for me.

When it says Class-A preamp, that means it's tube, correct? Because I saw someone discussing SS amps and they mentioned the SBX210. Maybe I have it all wrong..

Any word on the Carvin?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.