I was given a guitar, not sure what kind(has no name on it). It looks like a 3/4 size with 19 frets, 39'' long.This may be a silly question but is this o.k. for a begining adult to learn on or should i buy a full sie guitar.
Do you have big fingers?
If not, then you could learn on it for a few months to see if guitar really intrests you, then upgrade to a full-size, better guitar.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
i hate to sound too simplistic to be helpful but if you want to learn to play a full sized guitar you should learn on a full sized guitar. i have a 24 3/4" scale electric and a 25 1/2" scale acoustic and the differences in fret spacing just there can throw me off just a little if ive been playing one more than the other. if you want to learn and its all you got its better than nothing but unless you plan on playing a kid sized guitar your whole life the sooner you get a full size and make the adjustment the better.
PS to tell for sure what size it is measure from the nut to the bridge in a straight line. full sized guitars are usuall in two sizes, the gibson size of 24 3/4 inches or the strat size of 25 1/2 inches. some manufacturers use slightly different scale lengths by a few fractions of an inch but most full size guitars fall into those two categories.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Oct 23, 2008,
Err.... It should be fine to learn on a 3/4 sized guitar. The concepts are the same, really. I've played my friend's big baby(which is a 3/4th if im not mistaken), and switched back just fine O.o
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I'm thinking of getting a 3/4 myself, maybe a little martin so I don't have to haul my larger guitars around. How would you rate the quality?