Now that I have looked at a lot of different amps and guitars, I am wondering if it's going to be more important to get a better amp than the guitar I buy? I think that getting a good amp will make anything, well just about anything, sound good. I'm trying to budget about $1500 for an amp and guitar, and don't know if half should go toward the guitar or if 2/3 should go to the amp? What's more important?
Depends on what equipment you have, but myself I'll try to look for a good amp if you have a decent guitar
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
I originally spent all my 2000$ on my KV2 and roughed it out with a practice amp until i could afford my permanent stack.

i liked this decision, as I got to play on the high quality guitar ill be using for years and years.

I'd say pick up a jackson dinky or something for like 800 bucks, and buy a legit tube amp for ~700.

Lots of pretty good ibanez and jacksons in the 700-900 range, and with the leftover money u can get a pretty good tube amp like a Randall RG50TC 50W.

Could pick up that randall for like 600 bucks, and buy a 900 guitar. thatd be best id say.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
^^^

yeah i agree with that completely.

Playing for hours on a high quality nice feeling guitar is a lot more fun than sounding better on a piece of shit.

imo.
Do you gig a lot?

I have about ~800 to spend for Christmas, I have a crappy guitar and a practice amp but I'm going to get a nice new guitar and a distortion pedal and just live with that because I do a lot of bedroom playing but I'm not in a band or anything. When I start gigging I'll get a more powerful amp.
Guitar.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by Platinum Pro
amp dude.... amp makes up 90% of your sound and tone... a crapppy guitar will sound great through a good amp

I disagree no matter how good the amp is it can't make muddy pickups sound clear.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I will be playing with some of my friends, and they're trying to start up a metal band, but I have no idea of how it's going to turn out or if it will at all. I know for sure I will be playing with my friend who has a Mesa Triple rec half stack. Unforntuanetly I got used to playing on that for awhile and now all the lower end stuff doesn't sound good to me. Most of the nice heads I am seeing are about $1000, I have an older Ibanez Ex series guitar with a lic jackson floyd, the wiring is messed up and I hate using the floyd. The guitars I am looking at are around $650 or so, some more.
Quote by Platinum Pro
amp dude.... amp makes up 90% of your sound and tone... a crapppy guitar will sound great through a good amp

+1, but a crappy guitar might make your technique not as good therfore sounding worse, but yes, amp > guitar
Spend more on the Amp. A good amp will enhance the sound of a guitar, whilst a great sounding guitar will still be limited by the quality of the amp. Also, the practicality of an amp is greater - you need a good amp to play with a band, but not neccesserily a good guitar. Amps also can accomodate to a large range of tones - how often do you see a pro-guitarist switching amps on stage?
you guys are idiots lol, sounding good isnt the most important thing here unless he is gigging.

having a better guitar has a lot of advantages, and like someone said above, no matter how nice of an amp, i dont think you can make a shit guitar sound that great.

i can hear the shit seeping through for sure. BUT comon..the kid has like 1500 to spend, thats plenty to get a good guitar and good amp.

sure the guitar wont be amazing for 8-900, but itll be pretty good.

you can always upgrade amps, but guitars...i find its more fun and better to just get the one you really want, even if u sacrifice a little tone and sound, your playability, speed, comfort, etc etc are going to be improved 10 fold.
i was originaly goign to buy a tube amp and stick to my squier but after a music change ill probaly first pick up a jackson dinky
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
get rid of that squier asap bro...no tube will salvage that tone.
I believe the Carvin V3 amp is under $1000 and has a lot of nice features. This would leave you $500 for a guitar. You can get a pretty decent guitar for $500 nowadays.
Quote by Lucky7s
I know for sure I will be playing with my friend who has a Mesa Triple rec half stack.

Ewww. Triple rectifier? A little bit of overkill there. Get a good Ibanez or Jackson around the 6-900 dollar range and then find a used 5150 combo like everyone recommends here.
Unless the Triple rec player is playing full blast, which he never will, you'll be able to keep up.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
I'd rather play a $700 guitar through a $300 amp then a $300 guitar through a $700 amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
After playing 35 years, I just do not believe you can progress efficiently without a guitar that feels as one with your body. If you are not comfy with your guitar, you will not progress as well regardless as to how you sound. You will also be a better player if you are relying more upon skill than a bunch of fx and expensive gear.

I think you are better off with a bad ass guitar and a cheap practice amp if that is all you can afford and you are not yet in a band. No if you want o impress your friends with a bunch of gain and pinch harmonics, go buy a POS and a nice amp and pinch away.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Like many people have said before, invest in a good guitar. You don't want to end up with an axe for 500$ that you'll want to replace in a year or so - that's just wasted money. Pick up a nice guitar for around 800$ and try to find a used tube combo. A used marshall dsl 40 or some peavey combo will do the trick. You won't need more than 30-40 watts of power, even for gigs. And on a big gig you'll always be able to mic your amp.

As a guitar I recommend the Ibanez RG 1570, cheapest prestige guitar they build and damn fine for metal. If you want to stay away from Floyd equipped guitars, maybe try a used Gibson SG?

EDIT: I know I'll get bashed for this, but if you want something that feels and sounds professional, avoid Indonesian, Chinese and even Korean guitars. Stick with what is being made in Japan, Europe and the USA.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by nvranka
get rid of that squier asap bro...no tube will salvage that tone.

it's a squier that doesnt make it bad

i just want a floyd and some high output pickups
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Getting a good guitar will make your playing easier and help you with technique, and aid you in becoming more comfortable (hopefully) with other guitars as well.

Getting a good amp will help your overall sound and make it clearer (also hopefully), and make a bad/not so good guitar sound better.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX