So after owning my PRS SE custom for a couple months, i broke out my starter guitar: the les paul special II. after playing it on my shit amp, i realized that it sounded like muddy and very shitty. even more shitty than my good guitar. I'm going to first buy a tube amp but i realized that i could possibly salvage the guitar by putting some good pups in. Like duncans or possibly some emgs, because i want some metal pickups that are good at handling drop tunings (currently i keep my LP in drop-c).

(ps i know this may be a very generic post but i couldn't find anything.)

How much would new pickups cost? What pickups should i get? could i do it myself?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Probably about $150, you're lucky you got 2 humbuckers and not 3 single coils because that would get you over $200

Anyway, what kind of metal do you play? Here are some pickups that you should look at, I'm going to be fairly generic but this should get you started:

EMG 81 / 89 set - Many metalheads swear by these, I'm not a big fan of actives though because I don't have a tube amp. But they might be good for you.
Seymour Duncan JB
Dimarzio X2N (that's a monster pickup, if you play death metal then definitely look at that)
DiMarzio D Activators, Tone Zone, Super Distortion - more good Dimarzios

Try this little utility out:
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/
Last edited by tigerking615 at Oct 23, 2008,
Thanks dude

no death metal really. Into a bit of metalcore but mostly like disturbed kind of stuff with the guitar that i would be replacing the pickups for. If i end up liking the pickup switch i might do the same with my PRS which i would like to be a little more versatile because i like classic rock, sometimes cleans, and a lot of shred.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Well... your SE should be able to do all the metal you want... so i think you should just save for a tube.
^ yeah definitely getting a tube amp first because i hear pickups don't sound that much different on ss amps but its such a pain tuning to drop c and back up all the time because it goes out of tune really easy for me if i keep switching. So i want a drop c guitar and a regular one, and i want my drop c guitar to sound half decent =\
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ