So everyone always says, never use even measurements to build a Speaker Cabinet. But as all of our measurements such feet, inches, meters are completely arbitrary lengths, why should it matter?

It's possible to build a Cab with Even dimensions measured in centimeters, but those would be odd measurements when converted to inches. Now I'm not claiming that this is wrong, as there may still be something I dont know, but if so, does anyone have an explanation for it? Or is it really just an old wive's tale running rampant?

The suspense is killing me.
You're partly right - dimension scales are arbitrary, and odd length won't completely eliminate modes. But the important thing is that odd (and better yet, prime) dimensions in cm are significantly less likely to be factors of 340m than evens are, meaning they well help to reduce modes of vibration.

The only way to elimanate them is to build a cab with no 2 sides of same length. If every side is different by a few cm, then only the highest frequency oscillations would fit. If you want it to be easier to build or more aesthetically pleasing, either have your wood sawn so it'll still look rectangular, or build it so 2 sides are the same, and the other 2 arnt (a trapezium) which would be the next best thing.
Quote by mattocaster99
So everyone always says, never use even measurements to build a Speaker Cabinet. But as all of our measurements such feet, inches, meters are completely arbitrary lengths, why should it matter?

It's possible to build a Cab with Even dimensions measured in centimeters, but those would be odd measurements when converted to inches. Now I'm not claiming that this is wrong, as there may still be something I dont know, but if so, does anyone have an explanation for it? Or is it really just an old wive's tale running rampant?

The suspense is killing me.
that's a perversion of the reality.

never uses INTEGER MULTIPLES of dimensions when building a cabinet.

for instance don't have the height and width the same size or the have the height twice the width. having non-integer multiples reduces having resonant reflections inside. the worse case would be a cube or even worse, a sphere. but no one makes round cabs. you'll still have 3 groups of frequencies that will have a slight resonances instead of 1 group of frequencies that resonate strongly because of reflections.

the "even measurement" bullshit is the kind of noise you get when people parrot information without knowing a damned thing about it. eventually the original meaning gets lost, replaced by something that sounds similar, but is utter nonsense.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ahh- that makes much more sense- I figured it probably had to be something to that extent. Thanks for the explanation. And now when I make my round cabs, theyll be ellipsoids instead of a spheres.