I'm putting Ernie Ball guitar strings on my les paul style guitar and I'm curious if I should get this brand or if I should get another. And could someone describe gauges to me, I know they're the thickness of the string but does it make them more durable, or is it to give it a heavy sound?
They're used for drop tunings mostly. When the tuning is dropped the strings will be looser, therefore with thicker strings dropping the tunings will keep it tight enough.
The gauge also affects tone. Personally I like Ernie Ball, theyre fine.

I have a question regarding string gauges: I currently use 9's. Do i have to do anything to my strat if I want to put 10's on it?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
String gauges can be used for a variety of reasons. Thicker gauges are better for tuning down or for building up your finger strength. Some people also like the lighter gauges for more of shredding style. They can help facilitate easier bends and faster progressions along the neck, since they usually require a lighter touch.

As far as different brands, I myself am a big fan of the Dean Markley Blue Steels. I find when they are brand new they have an excellent bright tone that really shines. If you are looking for a string that you can get a little bit more mileage out of, maybe have a look at the Elixirs. They have a fairly nice and even tone, and the polyweb coating helps the strings more resistive to the sweat and dirt that comes off of your hands.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by Stolen Identity
The gauge also affects tone. Personally I like Ernie Ball, theyre fine.

I have a question regarding string gauges: I currently use 9's. Do i have to do anything to my strat if I want to put 10's on it?

i dont think so, you might have to adjust the truss rod
Quote by ChrisL120
So what's the least thick gauge I can get?

Ernie ball extra slinky goes from .08 to .38 thats really thin, I use those, and I love em.
Quote by metal9876
i dont think so, you might have to adjust the truss rod

In my experience, having just done exactly that, you are much more likely to have to adjust the springs in the back to rebalance your tremelo.

.10's also have a slightly heavier sound that .9's - but it depends on your pickups - it's MUCH more noticable on my Strat than on my Telecaster, where is doesn't seem to make any noticable difference at all.