I have been part of a band for 2 years now and at first I was a very good lead guitarist for them, able to play what needed to play. Now, however, as they get better, i dont. I have a feeling it is because i do not have a very good schedule when i practice guitar. I would like someones suggestion on how i should manage my daily practicing. Is anyone able to lay out the amount of time i should do, what i should do, and put it all into about 3 hours? i would appreciate if someone could, i really dont want to jeapordize my position as i am career driven and very commited to this band. Thanks in advance.
Quote by misfitsramones
yea sure, what type of music do u play?

this.
wow buddy, i'm feelin exactly the same as you are! i've been in a band about two years, playing guitar for 6 and i feel like i havn't progressed at all in the past year. while my mates are getting better each month
rock and metal, we are evenly distributed amongs classic and modern, maybe a bit more shifted toward classic. At first we played stuff not too hard for lead, but then they got into playing iron maiden, ozzy osbourne, more complex metallica songs, and i jsut cant keep up
Quote by misfitsramones
k you took to long to reply, im done.

He took four minutes to reply to your post and that's too long? Good grief.
TS: Do you take lessons?
cool thats like exactly what my band plays, what i did to be able to play it was, not really practice, but i just learn a lot of like maiden and ozzy songs for fun, and just play a shit load of them at my house, theyre not really that hard. and you should wanna practice too, you shouldn't really have to have a schedule and make yourself.
i do want to just have fun, but when i tend to not have a schedule i get off track and dont want to practice new techniques / songs. i know that maiden and ozzy riffs arnt so bad, its the solos that kill me. i cant play extremely fast, and thats what i want to train to do, and since i have small knowledge, thats why i would like a schedule
Is their seriously noone who can help me? im screwed if their is no one who will help me with this.
Quote by Schreekuline
i do want to just have fun, but when i tend to not have a schedule i get off track and dont want to practice new techniques / songs. i know that maiden and ozzy riffs arnt so bad, its the solos that kill me. i cant play extremely fast, and thats what i want to train to do, and since i have small knowledge, thats why i would like a schedule

Start with taking lessons if you don't already. Beyond that, you need to set aside a specific amount of time in your practice sessions to work on specific techniques. I read one in AT recently that involves a few different blocks of time. Something like this:
5 minutes warm up
30 minutes primary technique
30 minutes secondary technique
30 minutes working on a song
25 minutes doing whatever
for a 2 hour practice session. The times are rough guidelines, but that's probably how I would divide it up. I'm moving to that schedule starting this weekend. Primary technique is something you really want to work on, and you work on it for a certain length of time, say a week. Secondary is less important or a technique you just want to maintain, and you might practice it for 3-4 days. The rest is self-explanatory.
Keep in mind though, it's not just a schedule, how you practice also matters. Are you free of all distractions? Are you using a metronome? Are you setting the tempos slow enough and staying at those tempos long enough? Are you as relaxed as possible when playing, or is there tension in your playing technique? Are you really paying attention to your technique? Are you playing as cleanly and efficiently as possible? I know it's a lot, but you have to practice right if you truly want to improve.
EDIT: As se012101 pointed out below (it's his schedule), you should add 10 minutes of ear training at the end of the above program. It's an important skill. Work on recognizing different chords, intervals, scales, and progressions. It's not easy, so don't get discouraged if you have trouble at first.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 27, 2008,
Haha. That practice schedule of mine is making the rounds. Well, since Nightfyre did all the typing for me, the only thing I'd add is the importance of analyzing. When deciding those primary and secondary focuses, you always need to be saying to yourself "what am I weakest at that's important for the stuff I want to play?". Also, always be setting goals for yourself, and not just long term ones, short term ones that can be accomplished in a week or two, that are a small step towards the long term goals.

Also, my version had 10 mins at the end dedicated to ear training. Super important.
Quote by Schreekuline
...I think im in love with you Nightfyre. Thank you.

Aww, shucks...

No problem, glad I could help. Hope everything works out for you!
Oh, and *sigged*
EDIT: D'oh! knew I forgot something. Ear training is definitely a handy skill to have. I get enough practice in for my Aural Skills class that it doesn't factor in to my practice schedule, that's probably why I forgot it.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 23, 2008,