So I know about scales and such but i have a problem of remembering what notes are in what scale and where the notes are on the fretboard. So I ask how did you remember?
I did a drill that Satriani apparently uses with his students. I found all the locations of a particular note up to the 12th fret on every string. I then made flash cards (which included all the enharmonic spellings) and had somebody show one to me and I had to find all the locations for that note. Over time I got faster and faster with this until I didn't have to think about it. I don't know if Satriani uses flash cards or whatever, that was just to make sure I got equally comfortable with all the notes.
I have to point out though, you're approaching it wrong. If you try to remember you will inevitably forget. Learn where the notes are and you will be able to identify them on the fly no problem.
For scales, you need to woodshed on remembering the notes in each key. No shortcuts. If you read sheet music, work on identifying key signatures, as that will help you learn what notes are in a key. Say the note names as you play a scale. Oh, and if you don't read sheet music I recommend learning it, it's an invaluable skill.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 23, 2008,
I should try that and whats the point of learning if you can't remember
Quote by Mr ka2
I should try that and whats the point of learning if you can't remember

Remembering means you still have to think about it. If you learn it, you know it, which is completely different. It's like history class, you memorize the material but you forget it all once class ends because you didn't learn, you just remembered it all for the tests and final. On the other hand, you know how to read. You don't think about it, you just do it. I read music as easily as I read a book, and I have to put about as much effort in to it.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 23, 2008,
It is important to learn instead of just remember, as the others have said, but an important thing to know while learning is to just do it over and over again. I know it sounds simple, but a huge amount of my friends go "I can play that, I have before" and never touch it.

Start with the first scale you want to learn, play it and SAY EACH NOTE NAME OUT LOUD AND IN THE SAME PITCH as you play them. This is important as it will develop your ear as well as teach you the notes on the fretboard when you are actually using it, as well as the notes in the scale. Do this until you feel comfertable at a slow tempo. Then just play it. Play it until you have it memorized and can do it from memory. Do other stuff, like the rest of your practice. When you are finished with whatever you are practicing, then right before you put your guitar down, play the scale _slowly_ from memory. If it helps to say the note names then do, but it is optional. The point is that if you do it at a fast tempo and after practicing it, your playing is mostly just muscle memory, where as when you have stuff in between you actually have to think about it.

Then, from then on, at the beginning of each guitar practice session (or when you first wake up, like I do) then run through EVERY scale that you know (obviously you probobly won't do this after you know 40 scales or more, but 20 scales is doable.) Play it from memory. If you mess up ONCE then review that scale (and no other scales) until you have it for sure. THen, when you are about to go to sleep, run through all the scales from memory again.

I know it sounds like alot, but really 1 scale you can run through in 40 seconds a scale, and it helps tremendously. Also, learn the whole step/half step configuration for most scale types so you can teach yourself a new scale on the fly. If you don't know what that is, then google it.