Page 1 of 5
Looking to sell the f-30 and downgrade (so to speak) to a smaller amplifier. I like the crunch I can get out of the f-30, but I really want a blues amp that can get to classic rock territory. I got the 808 clone and the LPB1 to boost.

I'm pretty firm on spending no more than 400 dollars and I'm definitely looking used. I'm looking for a fairly low wattage amp, 15 watts or so, I can go higher but I don't want to. Cleans, important, obviously, overdriven blues sounds, also important, classic rock crunch, not the highest priority, but it better not sound like a turd with a little gain thrown on. Looking for an american voiced amp, but a british amp is by no means a deal breaker.

Hear are my thoughts so far.

Used Blues jr, pretty obvious. I like the way they sound and it seems to fit the bill quite nicely, 15 watts is maybe more than I'd want, but beggars can't be choosers.

Valve jr or black heart, I still need to play one, but this one with a few mods seems like it could win me over. I really need to try one, something to do this weekend.

Killer ant maybe? I can't try one, which is important.

Maybe one of the smaller crates? Again hard to try and they seem to be british amps.

I found this on CL, any good? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/878827708.html I read up on it a bit and it seems to take odd tubes, that's definitely a minus, but if it sounds good..

I'm definitely open to any suggestions, so lay em on me.

Edit: Maybe this: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/860488989.html? Seems like too much power.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Oct 23, 2008,
^I need to play one again, but it's still more power than I want. I'm looking for small(er) and simple.
If you don't get that Reverberocket, I will go to St. Louis and kick you square in the nuts.
Maybe look into a fender super champ. I bought one about 8 months ago and I love it, theyre 300 bucks, 12 to 15 watt I cant remember, tubes not solid state which is a plus and it has digital voicing and effects. I play alot of blues and this amp has a good amount of blues sounds along with overdriven rock sounds and even some heavier ones if your into it, its a great amp because it is extremely versatile and with the built in effects and voicings you almost never need to get out your pedals. Its also a great recording amp.
Quote by CHOCOmoney
THe roland microcube, or the vox DA5?

No

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Oh, well then you won't want this. Classic 50 in Mt. Vernon. I figured you could use your attenuator.

what about this tho...
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/885404775.html

my attenuator doesn't have enough power and it sounds better when you aren't at max attenuation (which I have to be with just a 30 watt amp when the rents are home)

Quote by imgooley
If you don't get that Reverberocket, I will go to St. Louis and kick you square in the nuts.

That good huh? I might have to go give this thing a whirl

Quote by Aquaman788
Maybe look into a fender super champ. I bought one about 8 months ago and I love it, theyre 300 bucks, 12 to 15 watt I cant remember, tubes not solid state which is a plus and it has digital voicing and effects. I play alot of blues and this amp has a good amount of blues sounds along with overdriven rock sounds and even some heavier ones if your into it, its a great amp because it is extremely versatile and with the built in effects and voicings you almost never need to get out your pedals. Its also a great recording amp.

Not a fan, sorry, if I go fender it's gonna be a BJ

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
oooops I meant this:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/885320430.html

I like the bassman too. hell get both of them. Is your $400 including sale of Mesa or is that completely independent?

That's all coming from the sale of the mesa, some of the money is gonna go towards a fulldrive 2 mosfet since it's the most bitch thing I've ever played
I think the most imortant question is this; what will you be using your new amp for?
its 1:56 am and i just ate 6 chocolate chip cookies in not even near as many minutes
Quote by Ash on fires
I think the most imortant question is this; what will you be using your new amp for?

Home practice, maybe gigs if I'm ever in a band, but leave that thought far behind.
Quote by imgooley

The first one is way over the limit. The silvertone seems to chintzy to me and for the other one I need a cab. I'm definitely gonna check into the gibbie
I guess while I've got this thread up I'll ask this. How big of a difference is there between the mosfet and non mosfet version of the fulldrive 2?
^ Sorry no clue.

Well for what you want to play either of the ampegs would work well. That gibby and bassman head as well - I love the old gibbies. If you decide you want a blues jr I will sell you mine at the usual going rate. Try to find a Kalamazoo, I see those things go for $125-150 and they kick. Then get crate VC3112 or VC2110 for the potential gigs. (They turn up all the time in STL). Why buy one when you could get two?
^So true, but surprisingly I only found one palomino. There a vintage club at my gc, but it's 60 watts and I didn't really dig it too much.
The 50 and 60 watt's don't have the mojo for me that the 20 and 30's do. Hey find a tweed PV Classic 20, those are great too.
^I've never seen one, but they seem like a great choice. Peavey BJ, to their C30
why not Just get a Crate V18
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^I'm gonna try the palomino 18 so we'll see.
what about the Blackheart Handsome devil?

Laney LC15
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^I don't have access to those amps as far as I know, but nothing is out at this point.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^I'll give it a look, but if I go fender, it's gonna be a BJ, just tried one extensively tonight and it's gonna be my basis for comparison.

I also tried the egnater rebel just for kicks. The tube blend is cool, but the amp didn't impress me overall, maybe if I had more time with it. Definitely didn't wow me.

Tried an Epi valve, it's ok, but too muddy for me. Kinda fizzy when cranked, not my thing. Might be good with some mods, but I'd rather have a good amp and mod it greatness.
Did I already suggest a Classic 30?

I came this close >.< to getting that but was afraid I couldn't do metal.

Your F-30 can do metal right? Just not enough classic rock?

Also - interesting comment on Rebel. I haven't seen a Blackheart in I don't know how long. Speaking of which, would a Crate work for you?
I need to play a C30 again, but I'm thinking no based on size and having played it before.

The f-30 is made for hard rock metal and there in lies the problem. It sounds good with lower gain, but it sounds so great for hard rock you just turn the gain right back up. The cleans are good, but it just doesn't want to do blues.

I still gotta try that gibson, and that ampeg, maybe tomorrow. Tuesday I'm gonna play a palomino v16 (american version of the V series)

Like I said before, tried the BJ with a fulldrive 2 and it kicks, I wouldn't be disappointed with one, but I'm still gonna look and see if I can do better.
maybe a Laney protube? actually no don't get that. It's like your F30 it does blues and classic rock GREAT but man does it scream with the AOR channel on and the gain up a ways haha.

I think the BJ will do you good I've found I like it alot with a bad monkey and a CS3 for some sustain.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Like I said, if I wasn't playing it cool and searching I'd have one right now, but I gotta wait till the f30 is sold and I've tried a few other amps.
how much
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'm asking 550, but expect around 500
IM thinking something perfect would be like a marshall JTM30, or a save up a bit more for one of those egnator rebels. i tried one out the other day and its an ace.
^Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for more american tones (think srv), not to mention 30 watts is a bit much.

I didn't like the rebel and I'm firm on my price point. I know I preach save save save, but all the money for this amp has to come from selling the f30 and there are plenty of amps that do what I want in this price range.

I would love to save up for a deluxe reverb, but that'll be later in life.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'm asking 550, but expect around 500

dude sold! haha, We have one at our store going for 630. and it sold with in a week.

you could probably go a bit higher
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Hmm, but stores can generally ask for more just because. 550 is what I paid for it and I don't mind taking a slight loss.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Hmm, but stores can generally ask for more just because. 550 is what I paid for it and I don't mind taking a slight loss.

Post it on craigslist for a week at $650 and see what shakes. I don't see those go for less than that up here. Don't sell yourself short. I'll sell you my blues jr for $300 if you want a stock one.
I guess you are right, I'm gonna switch her up now.
if you didn't have any pedals hooked to the VJ you didn't give it a chance. and a $20 tube swap is huge difference! i'm not the biggest fan of the lady luck speaker.
Last edited by mmjohn at Oct 25, 2008,
^I used my own TS808, and like I said, it could be a good amp with some mods, but my school of though is buy a good amp and make it a great amp, not buy a so-so amp and make it good. I'm definitely more of an american amp kind of guy.

Gregs: thanks for the offer, but I found a BJ for 250.
Meh I found the same thing with the VJ as you did, a combo of mud and fizz especially when cranked. I've modded it to hell and back and to no avail.

I'd go for the Blues jr - you can mod it with a new speaker (I hear greenbacks are sexual with BJs) and tubes, and then mod the circuit and have a true beast.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^That's kind of what I'm thinking, I really liked it stock, I could only imagine what a greenback, good tubes and some tweaking could do. If the other amps I'm gonna try don't knock my socks off its BJ all the way.
Page 1 of 5