So basically as of late, I've been playing bass less than I would like to, and less than I think I should be. Part of it is that I'm going through a down spell bass-wise and I don't feel as motivated to play, but the main part of it is that I have less time to play. I have two AP classes, a Junior paper and three books I'm reading right now. I used to play bass close to 15 hours per week, which became 10, and now I'm struggling to make even that amount of time.

My practice regiment used to consist of playing songs I already know for about an hour, starting with easy stuff and usually building up to something really endurance-based, then spending the rest of the time noodling around writing stuff and playing around with intervals and just playing in general. But of late playing songs is getting kinda dry and monotonous and I can't really just noodle around and write unless I feel really motivated to do so.

So basically, what I'm asking is, how can I take what time I have to play bass and maximize what I get out of it, while still enjoying playing? Because I play bass for fun essentially, and so I don't feel as motivated to play if I'm not enjoying what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.

tl;dr Read it lazy, its not that long
same here.,...
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Maybe try learning songs from a completely different genre. An example is if you play a lot of rock then maybe try some metal, jazz, or another genre that's different. It will be challenging and enjoyable.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
There was just a lesson/article/column on this. (although it is by that Tom Hess guy everyone hates)

In short, he basicly recomended do things that work more than one particular skill at a time. Skip things that you are already good at.

EDIT: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/how_to_practice_guitar_with_a_limited_amount_of_time.html
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 23, 2008,
I read that article its really good for tips.

What I do is start by running my hands under hot water for a little while. I find that It saves heaps of time on warming up the hands. Then I play redymade by the Red Hot chilipeppers for a whille as it works on string skiping and is hard to play cleanly. After warming up I play a few fun yet challenging songs to keep the fun up. Then I do scales and mode practice but combine that with a technique like slaping so i'm doing 2 things at the same time. (like that tom hess article says) then i work on techniques as i'm trying to improve it cause they was appaling before I started working it. Then I work on songs that improve my bass playing in general or open my eyes to other styles of playing and vola! Takes about an hour in general but I reckon its pretty efficient so that means more time jamming!!!!
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Maybe try learning songs from a completely different genre. An example is if you play a lot of rock then maybe try some metal, jazz, or another genre that's different. It will be challenging and enjoyable.

Yeah, thats basically what I was going to say
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
* Split your practice into sections: Warmups, exercises, songs, improv etc..
* Buy a notebook. Record your speeds, scales learnt etc
* Learn a new scale every week, and spend the whole week on it until it is like second nature
* Learn a song properly, and learn the whole song. I mean , really nail it. (i took about 3 months for PoT)
* Have clear and attainable goals (trying to learn Chromatic Fantasy after 3 months playing is NOT realistic).
* Take your time. Too many new players try and rush. Learning an instrument is a commitment. You commit your time and your patience and it will take years to get to a good level. Be patient.
* Everything you practice below the octave, practice above it too.
* Have fun! Thats what its all about afterall
* Practice every day if you can, even if it is just for 10-15 minutes.
* Dont GAS, concentrate on playing.
* Dont worry about effects, they get in the way of learning to actually play the damn thing.

Enjoy.
Get a metronome, fun to practice with.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Due to the time zones, Applehead's beat me on this one, lol.

I do want to stress the part about getting a notebook and writing down your routines. My last bass teacher made me start that, and while it makes it seem somewhat like school work, its a huge aid in getting you to focus your time and evaluating your practice routine.
Quote by Applehead

* Dont GAS, concentrate on playing.

Blasphemy!

I do often wonder if my over attention to gear actually detracts from me developing my playing.

But new stuff often leads to a long streak of playing. I finished a cheap p-bass build last night and the cheap pup sounds terrible with much treble. Over the next two weeks I'll no doubt be spending hours and hours playing bassier, fartier bass lines just because I want to experiment with the new gear... Anyone else like Cake?

Still, GASing probably isn't good for consistant effiecient practice over a very extended period.

A lot of simple stuff in this thread that it's nice to see clearly written out and catalogued. I believe I'll go pick up a new notebook just for the purpose of keeping track of my practicing.