Ive been playing stuff like the solo to Dont fear the Reaper, and stuff like Black Magic Woman lately, and I notice that sometimes I can be a bit sloppy. My fingers bump into others, etc. So, is a good way of doing this just slowing it down, play it note by note until its done flawlessly, and speed it up and repeat? Or is there some techniques I should practice to control my fingers?
slowing it down and playing to a metronome is a good way to clean up parts that you play sloppily.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Accuracy >>>>>>>>> Speed
If you attempt to play quickly but it's sloppy, you're practicing doing it the wrong way.
Metronomes are your friend.
Quote by Reds3031
slowing it down and playing to a metronome is a good way to clean up parts that you play sloppily.

metronome is a huge asset in any guitarists arsenal. i wish my lead guitarist would get one; everything he plays is way too fast. rhythm and timing just isn't him, but it's something that can be worked on. such as playing cleanly, use a metronome and if you can, record yourself playing along to them, you'll hear where you need the most work.

EDIT: An Army quote that can be used for this, "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast."
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Im not exactly going for a whole shredders kinda thing, I consider myself to be striving for a Frusciante kinda thing. Anyways, I have tried on many an occasion to use a metronome. But using it while playing a song always confuses me! I dont know how to split the song up unless its in standard sheet music right in front of me. But I use tabs usually with guitar, which doesnt exactly have the whole time thing going. I use the metronome doing practice on scales (which isnt my problem, its the whole hammer on pull off etc thing)
Quote by AlskiOverload
I use the metronome doing practice on scales (which isnt my problem, its the whole hammer on pull off etc thing)

hmm, if you haven't already, try this. If the song is slow enough, rather than using the actual bpm, double it. It'll have the extra clicks in there for you to know when to do those hammer ons and pull offs, how to time those right.

Does that help?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Hmm, I didnt think of that. Thanks, Ill try it. If I play in the wrong time with the metronome, but play fine without it, is that fine?
yeah, that's fine, just strange if you can't play with the metronome you know? essential the song is the metronome.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Your problem is easy dude....have yourself one of those metronomes. I prefer the quartz metronome dude. Guaranteed you will be tearing out your guitar frets in no time by making monster licks that will make .......babies cry, angel's die, glass windows will explode and tear up the sky!!!! good lyrics eh?