i know this should go in the vocal thread but nobody every answers that. does anybody know where i can learn or better yet give me tips on how to do rough singing like James hetfield, matt heafy of trivium, or brian fair from shadows fall. thats about the only vocal technique i cannot do
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
It comes naturally to me... I just sing louder than normal, and it gives it that "rough" sound... I can't really explain how I do it. But a shot of whiskey right before you start could help a tiny bit...

As for the technique itself, try "singing with the back of your throat"... That's the best way I can describe it. Not too far "back", or you'll end up sounding like a death metal guy. And try 'tightening your throat up', if that makes any sense. I'm sorry I can't explain it better :\
Last edited by Zecromancer at Oct 23, 2008,
ive tried that but everytime i tried that the back of my throat starts to hurt so i guess im doing it wrong.
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
It shouldn't hurt TOO MUCH. Well, maybe it varies from person to person. And if this helps at all: Try singing with your throat in almost the same position as if you were going to hawk a loogie. As a first start, try singing while... hawking. Make sure your GF isn't around. It should sound like an old person trying to choke/talk. When you get that down, try loosening up just a little bit, until you get the right amount of roughness.

EDIT: and have plenty of stuff to drink.

That was my best possible attempt at explaining how to do it. It's just so hard to explain in words, but once you get it down it's pretty much impossible to forget.
thanks. ill try this out more at band practice tomorrow
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Some people have to grow into their voices. If you're 18 or something don't try to damage your vocal chords too much. It shouldn't hurt period. Oh and there's a dedicated singing tips thread try that.
Si
Quote by Myung-trucci
^the singing tips thread doesnt cover growling/yelling.

im not looking for growling cuz i can do that, what im looking for is rock singing if that makes sense at all. not like clean singing but when your voice has kind of a rougher sound to it
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
it uses about the same principle as screaming/growling, only it isn't so extreme.
think about it like when you're choosing the gain level in your amp.
problem with that is i vocal fry scream so i dont think that would work
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Um, well I don't really know how to explain it straight off, so try this:

1) Find a song that you know well enough to sing without thinking that uses this technique (mine was "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder.)

2) Start singing with it, in a normal singing voice.

3) While singing along, take your hands in fists, and slowly push on your stomach to force air out (not fast, but just apply pressure.) This will make your voice sound wierd, and in my case, sort of stupid sounding.

4) See if you can get that kind of pressurized and forced sounding air out without your hands pushing, and make sure your throat isn't tense....you should tense your abs a ton to force out air, but your throat and vocal chords should be REALLY relaxed with almost no tension.

5) Sort of open and close your throat with that pressurized air, and play around with it until it matches what the guy singing sounds like. Someone earlier in this thread they get it by sort of screaming. When he screams he is most likely using faster (not more air, which makes your louder, but faster air which changes the tone) air which makes it so he can get that sound. So use fast pressurized air and play with how your throat is until you can get the sound without hurting your vocal chords at all.

BTW, I don't know if it is universal, but I have found that with this technique my range is diminished, so at first try to sing in a comfortable range, because outside of the range will probably end up hurting. I assume this is why alot of those rock singers get clearer voices as they go really high up.

Realize that I am not a great vocalist, have no training, and am self-taught. So after saying that, at absolutely any time your voice starts to hurt, for the love of God, stop singing that way....chances are your doing something wrong :/
If you know it belongs in the vocal thread, post there.

If the vocal thread won't help because a technique will damage your throat, tough cookies. Search elsewhere.

*Closed*
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out