I have a MIM strat that I will be rebuilding/upgrading and I'm planning on taking the neck off for a substantial amount of time. I'm assuming I should just loosen the truss adjustment screw all the way??? Good idea or no?

Also, If someone could explain how the truss rod works, I know it negates (some of) the tension of the strings, but I don't really know how; what does turning the screw actually DO?

Finally what should I do when I want to put it back on? My answer would be count the revolutions the screw makes as I loosen it in the first place then use that, but just for kicks how would you do it otherwise, like if you were installing a new neck?

THANKS
how long is a 'substantial' amount of time? if you're leaving it off for a week or so, there will be minimal adjustments needed -- about a quarter-turn should correct any changes that may happen. longer than that -- more adjustment will be needed. i don't really know about how much harm this could cause the neck, but someone around here will be able to answer this better. i've never adjusted the TR when removing a neck, i've only adjusted it after i've put it back on and strung it up. this may go against conventional wisdom, so try at your own risk.

the truss rod reinforces the neck and helps to keep it straight and give it enough 'relief'. a slight bow is preferable for playability.

when i put a neck back on a guitar, i just string it up and watch to see how funky the neck looks, and adjust the TR as i go along. just keep an eye on it and you should be fine. just remember that a little adjustment goes a long way and don't force it if it starts to resist a lot.
Quote by CapnMudGuru
how long is a 'substantial' amount of time?

I'd guess it'd be off for more than a week, maybe more like two or three cause I'm really pressed for time lately (but If I could do it over x-mas break it should only take 2 or 3 days!).

Quote by CapnMudGuru
...if you're leaving it off for a week or so, there will be minimal adjustments needed -- about a quarter-turn should correct any changes that may happen.

sorry, but have to clarify: you're saying remove the neck and back the TR screw off about a 1/4 turn, then adjust as necessary when I put it back on and string it up, expecting about a 1/4 turn again? easy enough.
that may work, but i was saying that you SHOULD be able to just adjust it after you put the neck back on and restring it. i'm saying this from personal experience (and maybe i've just gotten lucky on this) since i've never had any problems just sticking a neck on a guitar and making minor adjustments.

it's probably a good idea to loosen it when you take it off, though.