Hi there. So I'm needing help getting a good tone. It's been really difficult I must say. I've tried different things, but I found nothing that I really really like. Sometimes I just turn down the mids, sometimes I get them really up. I make some changes in the Fish & Chips EQ, but kinda I dunno how to get something cool... What I'm really looking for is a good Metal / Hard Rock (mostly like Hard Rock with lots of gain maybe?). And something for Rock, again, like Hard Rock like. I think it would be difficult to get something all-round, no?.

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLwP26coJE

What do you think? (about the tone :P, not the playing). I've turned down all the settings, started again to see what I can get, and got that, but i don't know...

Also I think getting an ISP Decimator, would it be useful for the process of getting a good tone?. Kinda I think when I add gain the noise get's really high... (maybe it has too much gain that clip, the volume wasn't really up, it was like 1.5, because I couldn't take it much up, but it changes when you turn it up... but also with some settings and the gain it kinda screws all up...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
try putting your mids about 7 bass about 6 1/2 and treble at 5 and gain at 6/7 see what that sounds like. thats what I use with my laney at it's good at a JCM800 sound that way.

also use your bridge pickup

and cleaning up your playing will DRASTICLY affect how good your Tone is

EDIT: have your MV at AT LEAST 5
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
webcams arent a good indicator of tone because the mic quality is crap

and eq setting vary depending on your amp, pickups, guitar body, etc. just keep trying new settings, dude. you'll eventually find something you like

and a decimator will not improve your tone. a noise gate is primarily esponsible for eliminating the white noise or extraneous noise. while it is a good purchase its not what you need if you want to improve your tone
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
it might be the amp, I wasn't very impressed w/ Valvekings.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
ok. well first of all, get a higher end eq(a 10 band is best, even better if u get the mxr) and second of all get a good distortion pedal. if u like the one u have right now, then dont worry. after that, put your bass to 7.5, treble 5 or 7, mids at 7.5 or above. also, where you connect ur eq pedal WILL make a difference(for example before distortion or after distortion)
That Valveking will produce very nice tones without an EQ. Start by plugging straight into the amp, no pedals or effects. The more hardware you run the signal through, the harder it will be for a newer players to find their sound simply because there are more adjustments to be made.

Start with your bass/mid/treble knobs at the 12 O'clock position. Play a few bars, ask yourself...does it sound like I need more bass treble etc. Adjust the respective knob in small increments...very slight turns. dont make big jumps (ie 5 to 7 or 5 to 3). Now play some more...repeat until you find a sound you like. Your mid knob will produce the most drastic results, it's the one that will let you hide behind the band, or let your guitar cut through their noise.

Finding "your" tone is not a fast process. The more you play the better your ear will get and the easier it will become to adjust an amp to "your" tone

Once you've got a basic tone you like out of the amp itself, start using the effects, same process for each one.
if youre running the fish on a battery, you might need to change it. anything less than a near full 9volt and the fnc starts sucking stuff up fierce.
i also agree with ninjer--make sure you try it straight through before you add the fnc to the chain.
Clean up your playing. It improves tone greatly.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by GitfiddleNinjer
That Valveking will produce very nice tones without an EQ. Start by plugging straight into the amp, no pedals or effects. The more hardware you run the signal through, the harder it will be for a newer players to find their sound simply because there are more adjustments to be made.

Start with your bass/mid/treble knobs at the 12 O'clock position. Play a few bars, ask yourself...does it sound like I need more bass treble etc. Adjust the respective knob in small increments...very slight turns. dont make big jumps (ie 5 to 7 or 5 to 3). Now play some more...repeat until you find a sound you like. Your mid knob will produce the most drastic results, it's the one that will let you hide behind the band, or let your guitar cut through their noise.

Finding "your" tone is not a fast process. The more you play the better your ear will get and the easier it will become to adjust an amp to "your" tone

Once you've got a basic tone you like out of the amp itself, start using the effects, same process for each one.

+1

One thing I've found really useful is to turn down all of your frequencies to -inf (or 0 if that's how they label it), and then have just one frequency cranked at a given time. Play for a little bit, then turn that one down, and crank up the next frequency. Play for a little bit, then the next and so on and so forth. This'll give you a really good idea about what sounds are emanating from each frequency, and then you can figure out how you want to mix them. But sure you try to get the best sound you can out of your amp's built-in EQ before you mess around with a separate pedal.
Okay thanks. In that clip I've only used the EQ pedal for a little boost in gain, then is all flat.

Gonna try some settings you posted, to have an idea. Then I would try getting something like GitfiddleNinjer says.

Thx to all.

BTW: Is not a webcam >_<.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Quote by Bostonrocks
try putting your mids about 7 bass about 6 1/2 and treble at 5 and gain at 6/7 see what that sounds like. thats what I use with my laney at it's good at a JCM800 sound that way.

also use your bridge pickup

and cleaning up your playing will DRASTICLY affect how good your Tone is

EDIT: have your MV at AT LEAST 5

Volume at 5???

I think that you would kill your dog with the volume that high, seeing that a ValveKing doesnt have a master volume.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top