Just as a rule, I don't touch Epiphones or Gibsons that have the word "Studio" in their names unless I intend to mod them like crazy. The stock pickups tend to suck, albeit if you replace them their decent.

I'd just recommend saving the extra cash and getting a standard plain top in black though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
for $350 do it, i have played one with emg's and they are great
Quote by xfallchildx
has anyone ever tried it? is it any good?
350$
thinking of buying it.

Well I have the gibson version (discontinued) and I have to say I love the guitar. It has a really thick and fat sound, perfect for some rhythms. I am just starting to play some lead on it so i'm not sure how it fairs in that range but on rhythms it blows you away.

The only prob is the neck is a lil thick for my tastes (slightly difficult to play when performing when around 1-4 frets) but that just might be cause i'm a wimp lol.

Anything else ya wanna know? (im assuming the epi version is the same specs, just lower quality wood.)
well the only thing i want to "mod" are the pickups.(and take off the pickguard shhhh)
so do u think it will make a good guitar?

btw. is this guitar heavy, fat neck anything?
my other choice from this would be the HSS strat.
and from what ive heard LP's r fatas$es compared to strats. especially the fretboard/neck

Edit: hmmm u said they have fat frets that will suck cuz i play with my guitar sort of low
Quote by xfallchildx
well the only thing i want to "mod" are the pickups.(and take off the pickguard shhhh)

and from what ive heard LP's r fatas$es compared to strats. especially the fretboard/neck

Edit: hmmm u said they have fat frets that will suck cuz i play with my guitar sort of low

The guitar is one of the heaviest Les Pauls i've ever played (however epi's are normally very light compared to Gibson's)

This guitar also has one of the fattest necks i've ever played on a Les Paul as well.

The strat and Les Paul are VERY different in sound and feel. Strats being bolt on necks and Les Pauls Neck-through. The strat is very light, while the Les Paul is slightly heavy.

Generally you will get a heavy sound from Les Pauls and not so much from Strats.
Quote by xfallchildx

If you replace the pickups I'd recommend it.

It's heavy, but frankly I don't get peoples complaints about Les Pauls. It's not terribly heavy, if your under 40 and a Les Paul hurts to play, you shouldn't be playing IMO unless you have a good reason like back surgery or something like that.
Yeah, it has a fat neck. I like fat necks though. That's really preference though.
They are.

Really, just try it in-store and see what you think.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
If you replace the pickups I'd recommend it.

It's heavy, but frankly I don't get peoples complaints about Les Pauls. It's not terribly heavy, if your under 40 and a Les Paul hurts to play, you shouldn't be playing IMO unless you have a good reason like back surgery or something like that.
Yeah, it has a fat neck. I like fat necks though. That's really preference though.
They are.

Really, just try it in-store and see what you think.

hm i doubt my store would have any guitars from online catalog.
my guitarcenter sucks shit.
but ill see.
my schecter has a thick neck too i think.
its heavy too. it doesnt look the greatest.
its only for metal. i have to play with it higher than my
friends copycat strat...
this is so complicated.
LP or fat strat im thinking LP for my styles..
the epiphone pickups on it are very weak toned. i'd replace em if got the chance to.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
I don't know anything about the Goth series but...

I'm assuming it's an Epiphone?!

If not I'd buy it just for the resell value...I paid almost $1300 for my LP Studio

If it's an Epi...well...you get what you pay for.
Quote by xfallchildx

If it was a '59 Gibson LP, then yes, they have a much thicker neck than Fenders.

The Epiphone neck though is actually thinner than Fender necks up until the 12th fret, and then it's about the same thickness as a Fender neck from the 12th fret onwards.

Fret size was also mentioned: the Epiphone fretwire is about as wide as the Fender fretwire, but it's lower to the fretboard.

An Epiphone neck is certainly 'faster' than a Fender neck.

Quote by Guitarfreak777
(im assuming the epi version is the same specs, just lower quality wood.)
It's not. In fact it's different in almost every way. The tuners are a different type, the nut is a different material, the pickups are wound in a different way, the bridge is a different type...

All said and done, it boils down to this: The Studio guitars (including the Goth) are awful instruments. Save up the extra hundred or so, and buy a Standard. It's better quality wood, tuners, pickups, electronics, hardware, the quality control is more consistent...

If you buy a 'Studio' or 'Special' model (either Epiphone or Gibson, this applies to both brands), you are pissing your money away. Always spend the extra money on a Standard, never buy anything less.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by xfallchildx

Musicians Friend had them on sale right now. They even have a scratch and dent for $227. I think the regular non-scratch and dent is only $299. I just played one today at a local music shop and they seem to be much lighter than the regular Epi LP's. The neck is not too much fatter than a strat but they are bigger.
Epiphone makes a few great guitars, the goth studio (imo) is not one of them. The neck doesn't feel good, the pickups do sound like shit (although you said you'd replace them) it feels cheap and you can get a better les paul without the gimic of it saying goth on it.

Look at a black standard top, great guitars.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413
Just do a few cosmetic mods if you want it to be "goth" maybe swap out a pup
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Epiphone makes a few great guitars, the goth studio (imo) is not one of them. The neck doesn't feel good, the pickups do sound like shit (although you said you'd replace them) it feels cheap and you can get a better les paul without the gimic of it saying goth on it.

Look at a black standard top, great guitars.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413
Just do a few cosmetic mods if you want it to be "goth" maybe swap out a pup

I agree with this. You will do much better with a Standard Top.
it's heavy as hell. most les pauls are.

But you'll get used to it. the neck is nice, and stage will be fine with some strap locks and maybe a few pushups :P
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
well, i played one, it didnt have EMGs...and it kind of sucked.
The feel, i liked, but the pickups seemed to be sucking the tone out if it. but someone said he played one with EMGs, so that might be better
Quote by stratdud39
well, i played one, it didnt have EMGs...and it kind of sucked.
The feel, i liked, but the pickups seemed to be sucking the tone out if it. but someone said he played one with EMGs, so that might be better

I think the one with emg's is the prophecy, there was a short run of cheaper epi's with emgs but I'm almost positive they don't make them anymore. and I think it was only the sg.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by xfallchildx
and how about the neck?
So you know, all Epiphones have exactly the same neck, except for the 'Prophecy' series, which have 2 extra frets, a satin (not gloss) finish, and are a little bit thinner (it measures about 0.16" thinner all over).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.