Mods, if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

OK guys. I am almost at the point where I am so disappointed with my guitar playing that I am ready to give up. I lack motivation, direction, practice schedules... pretty much anything that would give me even a little hope for my playing. I love music with all of my heart, but i don't know what to do. It has gotten to the point where I even doubt if i am holding the pick correctly. I can't alternate pick to save my life. My scales suck. I must have developed a lot of bad habits.

I have been playing for almost three years now, and i feel like there are guys who have been playing for under a year that have 3 times my abilities.

Can you guys help me out at all? Maybe help me build a practice schedule or something because i am so down right now i just need a little push in the right direction.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by exect4500
a good teacher would solve these problems

Well i have a guitar teacher but i always play like shit in front of him! I think I get intimidated, or something like that.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
k i totally no what u mean
what u have to do is play every day
about 30 minutes if u have the time
start off with practicing an easy song
maybe get a teacher or check out instructional videos online
if you have been playing for 3 years then you obviously know how to play
try picking a song that right now u like alot!!
if you can find a song that you really like you will have more enthuasim going into the song
if that really doesnt work then maybe this isnt your instrument or your not confident enough and dont believe in yourself
first thing is have pride for yourself
just be who you are dont try and be somebody else
i hope this helped
Quote by conrad523
k i totally no what u mean
what u have to do is play every day
about 30 minutes if u have the time
start off with practicing an easy song
maybe get a teacher or check out instructional videos online
if you have been playing for 3 years then you obviously know how to play
try picking a song that right now u like alot!!
if you can find a song that you really like you will have more enthuasim going into the song
if that really doesnt work then maybe this isnt your instrument or your not confident enough and dont believe in yourself
first thing is have pride for yourself
just be who you are dont try and be somebody else
i hope this helped

I have recently gotten into Metallica a lot. I can do some of their stuff but i really just fail overall at it.

One of the problems is that my good friend is an amazing guitarist. He can learn and play any song he wants to really. He is so good it puts me down when i watch him play.

I just hate sucking
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
I have recently gotten into Metallica a lot. I can do some of their stuff but i really just fail overall at it.

One of the problems is that my good friend is an amazing guitarist. He can learn and play any song he wants to really. He is so good it puts me down when i watch him play.

I just hate sucking

1) Buy/Pirate Guitar Pro
2) Find any Metallica song you want to learn
3) Open it up in GP and press F9
4) Put the the tempo to around 40%

The rest is just patience. Don't increase tempo until it's clean.

And there's always gonna be better guitarists than you. Take it as a form of motivation to get to that level, and don't be afraid to ask said friend about techniques and whatnot.

Also, I've been playing for a little over two years now and find Metallica songs difficult. It's not that you suck, it's just it takes an innumerable amount of time to really master an instrument.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit

1) Buy/Pirate Guitar Pro
2) Find any Metallica song you want to learn
3) Open it up in GP and press F9
4) Put the the tempo to around 40%

The rest is just patience. Don't increase tempo until it's clean.

And there's always gonna be better guitarists than you. Take it as a form of motivation to get to that level, and don't be afraid to ask said friend about techniques and whatnot.

Also a problem! The computer i am on now is my dad's laptop, and he is really strict with what i put on it. I can't put pirated crap on it.

On the Desktop computer, it runs so slow it can't handle the pirated guitar pro i have on it.

I need a mac... but that's a story for another time.

I will definitely look into the things you said though. The problem is with the friend is that I try to be confident and stuff, but when i see him break out some crazy over 9000 bpm shredding it makes me extremely jealous, you know?

Also, one thing that doesnt help is the fact that my tone sucks. I cant get a good tone out of my Kustom KGA10FX amp, and 60-cycle humming MIM Strat pickups arent helping!
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
you could get an tascam guitar trainer for 200 bucks and try thinking that you are better than your teacher.

P.s. i went through the same thing that you going through.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
If I were you, I'd jam with that friend, alot. Playing with other musicians really expands your playing.
Quote by caraluzzo
If I were you, I'd jam with that friend, alot. Playing with other musicians really expands your playing.

I do. A lot. But, i feel embarrassed when I can't keep up with him on a song like Master of Puppets (which i can hold my own on if i get the right tone and i'm not using single-coils. Of course I'm using his amps, & his EBMM, not my gear.).
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I've been playing for 2 years, I'm in the same situation as you. But I play for those nights when everyone's asleep, my mic is unplugged and packed away somewhere, and what I play sounds amazing, at least to me hahaha. Those are the moments!! We'll get there someday, where we can play like that anytime.
So you don't have your own gear?

I don't know about anybody else, but ussually when I feel like I'm getting bored with it, I try to get my hands on some new gear to play with. As you said before, you're not happy with your tone. Playing with your friend is good, but you shouldn't hold back from trying to play while being around him. Playing with musicians better then you can make a huge difference in your own playing. I'm always saving money to get new gear to play with, because it can make playing a bit more fun for you. I myself don't think I'm any good at playing, and to be honest it was bothering me seeing people who've been playing less then I have and are just as good or better than I am. It still bothers me, but I've been trying to play alot more lately, playing things I thought I wouldn't be able to play.

If you already have a teacher, then you're on the right track. Find a song you really like, something you'd wanna learn. Tell your teacher you want to learn the song and he can probably help you go through it at a good pace. You're not going to progress any if you're not practicing. Alot of guitarist practice anywere from 2-8 hours a day, some more, some less. It's not something that is just going to come to you right away. Bust your ass practicing, but more importantly, have fun doing it.
Sometimes you have to go back to some basic things. If your alternate picking sucks spend some time doing some exercises that deal with that. Dont kill yourself trying to learn some songs if you arent getting it come back to it another day, go try some easier stuff. You dont really need guitar pro many of us learned to play before computers were household items. And power tab is free so not pirated maybe your dad will let you use that on his computer
I don't think the problem is that you are a bad player. I think the problem is that you are impatient. How long are you practicing one thing to get it right? If you are practicing say a Metallica riff for 30 minutes and don't get it down, are you really a bad player? No. You just may have to practice it for 2-3 weeks to get it right.

I have practiced songs and solos for a solid month and still not get it down correctly. For the sake of sanity, I move on to something else and come back to it, normally get it down quicker that way since you take your mind off of it for awhile.

My point is, be patient and don't expect to get something the first day you try to play it. It may take months to get something down, but it will be worth it.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Hey I've been playing for 20 years and I still suck in my own eyes. That is simply perception, yours of yourself. People tell me I'm good but it's just them liking whatever I'm playing. Practice and experience is key. Don't be intimidated by others, use it as motivation. Practice as much as possible, designate time daily to it if you can. Jam with your friend and learn from him. I found the more different people I jammed with the quicker I learned more types of playing styles and music. Stick with rhythm and learn/master simple songs to play that you like. Start off slower than the pace of the song as stated and work towards normal tempo. (Sometimes I liked to play songs I didn't think I liked but they were easy and helped me learn). Also maybe save cash for a small microcube, VoxDa5 or vypyr 15 watt. A better amp is a great motivation as well and has a lot to do with your tone.
But most of all, don't worry about what other people think, they know you are learning guitar. If someone flames you for not being great, ignore the arshole. Stick with it, you're better than you think.

Edit: ^These guys are right too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 24, 2008,
as i said before just be yourself
everybody else is already taken
dont try to impress anybody but yourself
just play for yourself
if you compare yourself to somebody else it will only bring you down
if your into metallica great!!
find their song that you love the mostdo what (okeffe is legit) said to do not the pirating part but lowering the tempo to something you can play then when you can play it increase the speed
it may take a while but it will be a work in progress
you will feel so much more satisfication when you can play at Metallica's speed
after learning a few new songs bust out of this shell that your in and impress everybody
dont let every1 know your ability (or lack there of) make it look like your a rock god!!

im just like you cant play songs to well and my friend friggen rocks but that doesnt stop me
JUST BE YOURSELF!!
@Caraluzzo: I do have my own gear but it sucks. Worst part is that my parents wont let me get new gear at all. They are insistant upon me getting a Fender Deville (because their friend who plays guitar told them that its great [which it is], and that anything over 50 watts [even with earplugs that i wear] will damage my ears but i know it can't do hard rock/metal at all, which is what i want.

And i had a great lesson yesterday, leaving me very happy. We worked on a lot of improvisation. I also wrote a great riff yesterday

@Tackleberry: Do you know any excercises i can do to work on alternate picking?

@Rio38: The problem is that i have no practice regiment/schedule. Can you guys help me build one? I am also very impatient, and that is also a problem.

@gregs1020: I have heard that i am good and i don't suck. but when i am playing, i think i do

With regards to the amps, i was thinking about getting a Microcube or *gasp* a Spider Just because of the large ammount of tones available. i know they arent gigging amps, but im not gigging yet. And even if i was, i have hookups with some of my friend's fathers, so I can borrow some Voxes and Mesas for a gig if i needed to.

@conrad523: Thanks for the advice dude.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Watch a ton of Paul Gilbert videos.
He's such a nice guy that he'll motivate you to do it.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
Watch a ton of Paul Gilbert videos.
He's such a nice guy that he'll motivate you to do it.

I do, but he's so good that it makes me jealous lol
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I went through a similar phase. I suggest playing a song that makes you feel good, one that you are happy playing. When I really had no motivation I began playing Tuesday's Gone and that was the only song I would play for a few days until I got to the point where I had mastered it and couldn't wait to play it again. Eventually that will lead to you wanting to learn other songs and eventually your will to practice will come back. Pick an easy song to learn and look at the tab an just play it, just to build up some technique and eventually your skills will get better. Patience and practice, trust me I am 100 percent self taught so I've gone through some rough times on guitar where I've just wanted to throw it out the window and quit, but I stuck with it and couldn't be any happier.
Ok First of all...

Most of the greatest hits in history had simple riffs, so you don't have to be
buckethead to make a great song.

It's time to stop saying you suck. IF you DO suck it is only because you suck at
something that someone else does well and you are comparing yourself to them.
If you have been playing seriously for 3 years you have to have good things about
your playing. You need to find what you do well and build apon that to make your
own style. You should then find the weaknesses that you have and work on all of
those things.

Make your own techniques. I used Unison bends to create delay effects when i need
them. Thats part of what makes me sound different.

Start using CD's for classes. Study the artist's music and use them as lessons.
Learn the skills they used to make the riffs and solos so great. Play tabs from songs
you like and learn the structures that made the sounds.

Don't be intimidated by other players. I don't tap. I don't care for it. I think it sounds
great when others do it, but I have never had an idea that needs tapping to be
expressed. When I go into guitar stores I sometimes hear 12 years olds playing those
oldskool Metallica solo's and if you don't know guitar...you would think they blow the
40 yr old jazz player away thats playing quietly in the corner.

Start playing more man. I once decided to get my chops up. I decided I was going to play
for 2 hrs a nite. A year later I hadn't performed a miracle but I had a really nice shred
to add to my other skills.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I sympathise greatly as I've been there myself and still am in a way. Like you I love guitar and people tell me I'm good but that's only because they can't play themselves. For me it's slightly different; I can play a variety of songs but when it comes to improvisation I just go blank and play like I've been playing for 3 months.

You've had some good suggestions here. Guitar Pro helps, as do Paul Gilbert videos. Practise is essential and you should do at least an hour a night. Spend 20 minutes learning a song you like that isn't unrealistically difficult; 20 minutes practising particular techniques and licks and 20 minutes improvising. I also wouldn't be too much of a slave to particular solos. I've found it useful to study the basic idea of what a guitarist is doing and then adapting it to suit me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
try writing some of your own music. no one can write the same music as you no matter how good they are. someone can always play faster or better than you but if you are original in your sound you are a good guitarist
i dont know but

mim strat have thick necks ever tryed playing a thin necked guitar?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
im no expert, but to get started with alternate picking just take a look at some basic major and minor scale patterns and alternate pick them when you are ascending and descending on the fretboard. with these scale patterns you will also have to use your pinky if you are not doing it now. after a while you will see a great improvement in your right and left hand coordination. i've only been playing for less than a year, but this is what helped me with alternate picking to the point that now i automatically do it and dont downpick at all anymore (except on songs that downpicking is the way they should be played)
part of the "Right-handed guitarists that are actually Left-handed otherwise " group
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Ok First of all...

Most of the greatest hits in history had simple riffs, so you don't have to be
buckethead to make a great song.

It's time to stop saying you suck. IF you DO suck it is only because you suck at
something that someone else does well and you are comparing yourself to them.
If you have been playing seriously for 3 years you have to have good things about
your playing. You need to find what you do well and build apon that to make your
own style. You should then find the weaknesses that you have and work on all of
those things.

Make your own techniques. I used Unison bends to create delay effects when i need
them. Thats part of what makes me sound different.

Start using CD's for classes. Study the artist's music and use them as lessons.
Learn the skills they used to make the riffs and solos so great. Play tabs from songs
you like and learn the structures that made the sounds.

Don't be intimidated by other players. I don't tap. I don't care for it. I think it sounds
great when others do it, but I have never had an idea that needs tapping to be
expressed. When I go into guitar stores I sometimes hear 12 years olds playing those
oldskool Metallica solo's and if you don't know guitar...you would think they blow the
40 yr old jazz player away thats playing quietly in the corner.
Start playing more man. I once decided to get my chops up. I decided I was going to play
for 2 hrs a nite. A year later I hadn't performed a miracle but I had a really nice shred
to add to my other skills.

This is awesome advice dude thanks a bundle!

Quote by HolmesMonaco
try writing some of your own music. no one can write the same music as you no matter how good they are. someone can always play faster or better than you but if you are original in your sound you are a good guitarist

I actually wrote some riffs recently and they arent bad.

Quote by SquierLolz
i dont know but

mim strat have thick necks ever tryed playing a thin necked guitar?

I have and i actually played a lot better.

Quote by pero_o
im no expert, but to get started with alternate picking just take a look at some basic major and minor scale patterns and alternate pick them when you are ascending and descending on the fretboard. with these scale patterns you will also have to use your pinky if you are not doing it now. after a while you will see a great improvement in your right and left hand coordination. i've only been playing for less than a year, but this is what helped me with alternate picking to the point that now i automatically do it and dont downpick at all anymore (except on songs that downpicking is the way they should be played)

k thanks a lot dude ill try it.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Ok, first you have to just suck it up and not be afraid of sucking. I don't care how long you've been playing, what matters is if you play often or if you're good. Practice makes perfect. Playing with yourself will not motivate you, go out and have some fun. If you don't enjoy it, you're never going to learn as fast compared to view guitar practice as a chore.

Have fun
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by gregs1020
Hey I've been playing for 20 years and I still suck in my own eyes. That is simply perception, yours of yourself. People tell me I'm good but it's just them liking whatever I'm playing. Practice and experience is key. Don't be intimidated by others, use it as motivation. Practice as much as possible, designate time daily to it if you can. Jam with your friend and learn from him. I found the more different people I jammed with the quicker I learned more types of playing styles and music. Stick with rhythm and learn/master simple songs to play that you like. Start off slower than the pace of the song as stated and work towards normal tempo. (Sometimes I liked to play songs I didn't think I liked but they were easy and helped me learn). Also maybe save cash for a small microcube, VoxDa5 or vypyr 15 watt. A better amp is a great motivation as well and has a lot to do with your tone.
But most of all, don't worry about what other people think, they know you are learning guitar. If someone flames you for not being great, ignore the arshole. Stick with it, you're better than you think.

Edit: ^These guys are right too.

i fully agree with this most people who think there good in there own eyes are MOST OF THE TIME show offs